Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Guitar 2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Guitar 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bubucci

Hi guys,
I have opportunity to buy nice Gibson R9 Reissue '23. Before I make my mind I compare it to my current LPs, Gibson LP 1980 Heritage80 and 1996 Custom shop Classic All mahagony.
H80 is heavy 10,0 lbs with Throbaks MC102-B (A4, 9,4 kohm bridge )
R9 is very lightweight 8,0 lbs with Custombuckers
Classic is 9,0 lbs with very thin neck and Suhr Aldrichs
It was really quick action, so excuse poor editing and playing :)
Setup was micced with E906, 1x12 openback (comboshell in fact) Celestion Alnico Cream 16ohm, Naylor Duel 60, MIJ SD-1 boost only for lead parts.
Guitars are double tracked and they go each riff guitar one, two, three.

I like the first guitar better than the other two but I'm pretty sure the difference boils down to the PUs. I'd get the lightest one in any case if comfy to play, it's always possible to change pickups later.

Which one plays better? That's always my first priority. Second is tone, which one sounds best, that's the next priority.

Obviously the hope is getting something that plays good and sounds good, sometimes though there is a tradeoff. Generally though if a guitar sounds really good but doesn't play good, I'm not keeping it because if playability isn't up to snuff, you aren't going to come back to that guitar.

Playability goes to R9, perfect neck profile, action, weight and sustain. Heritage 80 has similar profile but bigger frets, sound more vintage, fuller lows and doesn't resonate as much but has really unique voicing. Classic has very thin neck profile, medium jumbo frets and plays effortlessly but more modern feel and sound, very 61' SGees

Attachments

• IMG_2146.jpeg
    IMG_2146.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2145.jpeg
    IMG_2145.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
Number 1 had the most bite to my ears. Number 3 was slightly more open sounding than the other two. I'd pick the best player of those two. I hate the more frequent adjustments I have experienced with slim tapers but you're not me. Good luck brother, they all sound pretty dang good.

Back