Gig cab with Redback and Creambacks?

PSGuitar

Hey guys

Recently giggled with a 412 using two Redbacks and two Creamback M65s.

I actually preferred my cab whwn it had two Redbacks and two Creamback H75s.

I also have to more Redbacks in the basement.

Do you guys think it would be beat to go back to Redbacks/Creamback H75s or just remove the two Creamback M65s and move those to my V30 cab which has two Redbacks and two V30s. That cab sounds great. But thinking of moving those two Redbacks over to my primary Bogner 412.

So I could have the following:

Bogner cab: Redbacks/Creamback H75s
Splawn cab: Redbacks/V30s

Or

Bogner cab: Redbacks
Splawn cab: Creamback M65s/V30s

I finding the larger magnet feels and sounds best for my playing and music.

I do still like Redback/M65, so that's another option -
Bogner: Redback/H75
Splawn: Redback/M65

I know a lot of players and builders like H75/M65, but for my playing the small magnet is the weak link. I like large magnets.

Thoughts?

High gain amps and we play a lot of rock, hard rock, grunge/alternative and some metal.

I tend to favor large magnets so while it will costs me more, I'm leaning toward option one! :)
Although the second option would provide more variety or variance between cabs and the all Redback cab would be thick and deep sounding. This would save me money.

I do know that the Splawn sounds great as is with Redbacks/V30s and thinking is prefer it over Creamback M65s/V30s.

In the long run, if I wanted to go one Redback cab and on Redback/H75 cab, it would cost me much more money.

I love CL80s too.

Last edited:
I’ve got a Splawn cab with RB/V30’s and it’s a great combo.
I haven’t tried all Reds, but I’d think it’d be far too dark, bassy, and loose.

Last edited:
Black, the Reds are fairly balanced and allow you to turn up the highs on your amp which is nice. A friend of mine gigs professionally with all Reds and I really like it.

That said Redbacks and H75s are killer together. Redbacks are pretty tight and deep.

I was told and even felt that the H-75 lacked midrange, but I'm willing to give them another try. They seem to be punchier and fatter than the M65 to my ears. Even Celestion told me this and recommended the H75 for that reason.

Black, the Reds are fairly balanced and allow you to turn up the highs on your amp which is nice. A friend of mine gigs professionally with all Reds and I really like it.

That said Redbacks and H75s are killer together. Redbacks are pretty tight and deep.
Reds are definitely deep, big and chewy, but ime they’re not tight at all. Great speaker if you want to ad some dark, chewy sag to the mix.

To me they are plenty tight with the right amp but I don't play right metal. I like more chunky stuff. I like mixing Reds wirh V30s, CL80s. Worried H75s will make it too brash and harsh.
Even my Greenback and M65s are plenty tight.

This sounds about how tight I like my speakers, including Redbacks:

Last edited:
...and I just ordered a Creamback M65 the other day for an open back 1x12.

I did have gear bucks to burn...

Much of this is all personal preference. One man's gold is another man's garbage.

I know the speakers that inspire me and make me want to play.

All of my amps have good EQ sections, so I never worried about a speaker being so called too dark or too bright.

I do prefer speakers without obvious frequency spikes. I find Redbacks fairly neutral and let me use my amp's EQ to it's fullest!

V30s are the one I like that has a strong mid spike, like the H75, which I sort of like too. In a band, I find the H75 has sort of a hole in the mids, with excess highs. I can fi that with amp EQ, but I prefer all Redbacks.

Also like V30s, Creamback M65s mixed with other speakers, not on their own and CL80s. I think H75s are beefier and thicker than M65s but to me the Redback is the best of the that bunch. Redback/H75 is nice too but I may prefer all Reds, RB/V30, RB/M65, CL80/V30, CL80/M65, V30/M65. I have all these speakers and will occasionally switch them up for different flavors. :)
These are my personal favorites.

If I gigged Redback/Creamback I would make sure to mic the Creamback, not the Redback. I have the hardest time finding good spots on the Redback but the Creamback H75 I own is easy to mic.

I have ended up ditching the Creambacks. Settled on RB/V30 one cab and RB/CL80 in the other. The second is amazing, but so is the first. No issues micing Redbacks. A friend of mine gigs professionally and I live his live tone micing RBs. That said, I like running my amp direct, no mic.

Reds are definitely deep, big and chewy, but ime they’re not tight at all. Great speaker if you want to ad some dark, chewy sag to the mix.
To me they are plenty tight. To me that tightness is more from the amp, not speaker. All my speakers are plenty tight. Heck, my buddy is an LA studio session player, tours with bands and records for bands. He pretty much just uses Redbacks.

To me they are plenty tight. To me that tightness is more from the amp, not speaker. All my speakers are plenty tight. Heck, my buddy is an LA studio session player, tours with bands and records for bands. He pretty much just uses Redbacks.
I’ve mixed Redbacks with V30’s, Greenbacks, Alnico Golds, and JBL D120F’s, and in every case they’ve brought a thicker, looser feel to the cab.

I’ve mixed Redbacks with V30’s, Greenbacks, Alnico Golds, and JBL D120F’s, and in every case they’ve brought a thicker, looser feel to the cab.
I guess it depends on your taste and definition of tight. I don't like too tight anything. I prefer fat and chunky tones, even for my tightest music, covers and original. For me personally, they are plenty tight. But we all have different tastes.
Whatever works! :)

Anyone have gig experience with all Redbacks or Redback/H75 in a 412?

I'm also a big fan of CL80s and thinking about grabbing a few of those to blend somehow.

Had a RB/H75 combo in a Marshall 4x12 (x pattern)
Later swapped out the Redbacks for a quad H75's.
Redbacks have a large dust cap so micing it might be tricky, I tend to go more towards the middle rather then the side.
Just personal preference.

Had a RB/H75 combo in a Marshall 4x12 (x pattern)
Later swapped out the Redbacks for a quad H75's.
Redbacks have a large dust cap so micing it might be tricky, I tend to go more towards the middle rather then the side.
Just personal preference.
Thanks. Not that worried about micing, but good point.
With the Redback/H75 were you able to just mic an H75?
When we did gig, they didn't mic the cab, they just let the cab be used basically for stage volume and to fill the room. They don't always mic the cabs here. It's hit or miss.

What made you go four H75s?

I had Redback/H75 in a 212 but preferred two Reds. But that was a 212.

Oh, I love CL80s too.
I slapped together an old Mesa (old school mark era metal grill) slant with greenbacks and CL80s.

I've only played it in stereo with my ancient mark box (Mc90s/EV200s) and it seemed really bright and spanky.

I'm no help.

Best pairing I found for the H75 was ET90.

Best pairing for CL80 was ET90 as well, awesome heavy thrash tone.

I love Redbacks and CL80’s but pairing them was nothin to write home about.

Didn’t your H75’s overpower your Redbacks? So damn efficient.

Back