Gigged with a Crate V18 last night.

Telephant

I was asked to play a pick up gig last night and figured the Superbass might be a little overkill so BrendanO let me borrow his Crate. He's brought it over before and I thought it was cool, but it was even better in a band context. It also helped that Brendan put a greenback in this 1x12.

For the money this amp is great. Perfect for pick up gigs of any genre excluding the most brutal of metal, assuming you dont need an insane amount of volume. Dont get me wrong, this 18 watter gets loud but not THAT loud. I ran it with some slight breakup and hit it with an OD808 to take it over the top.

This amp has a master volume and gain control but it acts like the a NMV amp in that the more you turn it up, the more it overdrives. And more importantly, it has similar dynamics to a NMV amp which was great. The clean on this amp is very thick, punchy and warm. And its easy to go overboard on the bass. The amp is actually fairly dark but still cut through nicely with the treble on 6. Its also easy to go overboard on the reverb. Anywhere above to 2 or 3 is way overkill.

Its ridiculously easy to get a fat bluesy strat tone out of this amp. My favorite tone of the night was with my guitar vol rolled back slightly to get a thick warm clean and and a AD-9 and a univibe clone going. Throw a tubescreamer on top of that and it was the perfect amount of grit.

Long story short, I was really impressed with this $200 amp. Ill record some clips later.

Back