Greenback vs Alnico Blue

Hey guys, I've been debating buying an AC30 for some session gigs doing covers as taking my Diezel VH4 and a 4x12 is getting kind of a lot to lug around and the AC30 as a combo could be a more appealing option. Listening to clips of both speakers I can see merits to both with that amp, but there's a lot of cork sniffery as to which one to get. The reason I'm posting it here is because the alternative is buying a 2x12 cab and using one of those two speaker options (greenback or alnico blue) to use as a pedal platform with my VH4. I've basically used channel two as a pedal platform with a telecaster with the amp and I've been really happy with the results, but for the gigs we do taking a 4x12 is kind of obnoxious and I need something smaller. Has anyone tried either of these speakers with the VH4 in this way? In some ways this would make more sense as I already own an amp I love the sound of, but also having a typical old school pedal platform amp has its own appeal.

I have always found the blue celestions to sound better with vintage and cleaner sounds but not as good with dirt.

^ Yep this. For a classic AC30 tone sure the Alnico Blue is the tone but for a pedal platform with gain it's going to be way too sizzly and harsh IME.

Also, just my opinion but you should also consider a Fender Blackpanel type amp. They are very pedal friendly too. I have used both and liked both (clean Marshalls too) but they give you a different overall base tone. Depending on your pedals and target tone, one will usually sound better.

VH4 + 2x12? IDK, but getting a Vox combo is a very different amp; and an AC30 2x12 isn't exactly light (sure lighter than a VH4 and 4x12)

Engl or Marshall combo amps may be worth a look, Mesa if you like 'em;

If it doesn't have to be tube, Catalyst is a good pedal platform; I have a Catalyst 100, I use with HX Effects in 4CM. Small, versatile, lightweight.

Cheers for suggestions guys, steered me towards greenbacks. The black panel fenders I'd be interested in too. The amp id want ideally is a Paul but unfortunately budget dictates what i can afford.

Cheers for suggestions guys, steered me towards greenbacks. The black panel fenders I'd be interested in too. The amp id want ideally is a Paul but unfortunately budget dictates what i can afford.
I have a VH-2 and love the Paul clean sound. So we may be in the same ball park as far as tonal tastes.

If you want ultra portable VOX-type clean check out a Tyler Amp HM-18. $1500 new. So Fender/Vox prices.
I have the Tyler and love it.

Vh-4 pedal works with it but take the mids and treble down more than usual with the Hm-18. A DSL from Catalinbread and an ODR-1 or other great dirt pedals that work with it.

Back