Group Buy for Bruce Egnator's Amp Building Class

I have considered this off and on for years. I can't lie this would be seriously awesome. IIRC, I remember Steve Henning telling me he went years back and although he had quite a bit of prior knowledge that this helped him quite a bit.

So looking at his website, there is a choice between a 2 6V6 20 watter or a 2 EL34 50 watter, the 20 is 1500 for the kit and the 2 day class, the 50 is 1650, no other fees except airfare and hotel. Lets crank this up !!! I'd do the 50...

paulyc":3idm9pts said:
So looking at his website, there is a choice between a 2 6V6 20 watter or a 2 EL34 50 watter, the 20 is 1500 for the kit and the 2 day class, the 50 is 1650, no other fees except airfare and hotel. Lets crank this up !!! I'd do the 50...

I have not checked in a long time but aren't these classes once a year in Oct/Nov?

Edit: Nevermind:

Only one spot left in the October 6th & 7th, 2018 amp building class. Probably the last chance until Spring 2019. Don't miss this one. Click on the Build Class above for information.

I guess find out the details? If there are only 4 spots for each run then Idk.

IDK how many times a year, but if we could, for example, bring 10 guys for a class on such and such a weekend I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he might take a request like that, he doesn't have to wait and hope a class fills up, we're going in full to capacity right off the bat.

paulyc":3ea2eo8n said:
IDK how many times a year, but if we could, for example, bring 10 guys for a class on such and such a weekend I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that he might take a request like that, he doesn't have to wait and hope a class fills up, we're going in full to capacity right off the bat.

I'm sure he will say no. We did 6 or 8 early on and it was too many people. He wants it to be intimate so he can learn you good. I think 4 students is set in stone.

i will say i went to one of these years ago. probably one of the best music related purchases i ever made. however u do it i highly recommended it. i had the cost of the class, hotel, rental car, plane ticket and it so worth every penny.

I'd love to do this, but like so many others it'd be tough to fit into my schedule. And besides...when it comes to soldering I'm a hack at best. :LOL: :LOL:

psychodave":g20os9ss said:
I’d love to do this. Just gaining the knowledge would be awesome.
Yep, just the experience would be awesome. Not to mention if I were able to learn even how to mod an amp. Would be sweet.

Jeff Hilligan":19a3gil1 said:
paulyc":19a3gil1 said:

I'm sure he will say no. We did 6 or 8 early on and it was too many people. He wants it to be intimate so he can learn you good. I think 4 students is set in stone.
Thanks for chiming in here, Jeff! I didn't get a chance to email him today about this, but I'm going to say you'd be the one to know. It's too bad, too, because it looks like there's already at least 10 people who would be interested in doing this.

OTOH, I completely see his reasoning behind the hard limit. I'm sure there would just be too many questions and not enough time for more than 4 people at once.

While I've never done anything like this, I completely agree with everyone who's said that this would be money well spent. Not only would you end up with a great amp, it would be one that you built, and the knowledge of why and how, and the experience... that's worth a lot more than the asking price.

So... unless we can work out something with Egnator, which I hope we can and I should have a chance to email him tomorrow, is there anything else that we could all do that would be relatively close to the value of an amp clinic? IDK... I hold out hope that we could maybe get a couple of weekends so we can get everyone involved in this that want to be involved... but just in case, does anyone have any suggestions for a contingency plan?

I would so love to build one of those 50s... :rock:

ChurchHill":2kif85bu said:
Jeff Hilligan":2kif85bu said:
paulyc":2kif85bu said:

Thanks for chiming in here, Jeff! I didn't get a chance to email him today about this, but I'm going to say you'd be the one to know. It's too bad, too, because it looks like there's already at least 10 people who would be interested in doing this.

OTOH, I completely see his reasoning behind the hard limit. I'm sure there would just be too many questions and not enough time for more than 4 people at once.

While I've never done anything like this, I completely agree with everyone who's said that this would be money well spent. Not only would you end up with a great amp, it would be one that you built, and the knowledge of why and how, and the experience... that's worth a lot more than the asking price.

So... unless we can work out something with Egnator, which I hope we can and I should have a chance to email him tomorrow, is there anything else that we could all do that would be relatively close to the value of an amp clinic? IDK... I hold out hope that we could maybe get a couple of weekends so we can get everyone involved in this that want to be involved... but just in case, does anyone have any suggestions for a contingency plan?

I would so love to build one of those 50s... :rock:

Another thing that i would love to do is Sully's guitar building class.

That would be cool. I'm not even close to the world's greatest solder-er, but when it comes to woodworking... I just plain suck. I'd probably lose an appendage (could be any or all of them, given my skill level). LOL!

Great class.. I did it a few years ago. A nice restaurant/pub is not far from where my class was held - the Redcoat Inn I think it was?.

I do not. I’ve been in contact with Bruce on FB, he’s busy but said he’d stop by here and say a few words when he can.

Back