Guitar guests on "That Metal Show"

RG955TT

Is it me or do the guest guitarists on this show seem somewhat ham fisted and awkward? I watched Lynch this weekend and Jesus he looked like he was straining to play some pretty basic stuff and most of it was crap. I've noticed this with lots of guest guitarists on the show but Lynch was really noticable. Seems like their wasted or just really uncomfortable. most including those I really respect don't play anything all that impressive to me. I noticed same with Steve Stevens who I like a lot.....anyone else notice this sort of ham fisted playing on the show? Seems like their motor skills are ipacted for some reason. The most impressive guy I've seen is the the guy from Tesla.....and even that was suspect. I mean really, I think I could do a better more impressive job of wailing for 30 seconds at a pop.

I've noticed some of the same stuff. I wonder if they get them lubricated before the show.

The most impressive guy I've seen on the show was John5. I saw him with Manson back in the day but I never knew he had chops like that.

yankeebulldog":27y9alxb said:
I've noticed some of the same stuff. I wonder if they get them lubricated before the show.

The most impressive guy I've seen on the show was John5. I saw him with Manson back in the day but I never knew he had chops like that.

John 5 was one of the best, but Tony Macalpine was pretty damn impressive too. He probably had the best tone I've heard on the show. He was on the John Sykes/Mike Portnoy episode and he had their jaws on the floor.

Warren DeMartini I thought was awful.

I hear ya. Lynch just struggled (every time too; I count 4 so far on TMS), and I think he knows it too - which is why I suspect he lays the wah on THICK. Any more I see him perform live, it's either a ton of phaser, delay, or wah. Hardly EVER just a straight up tone. His clinics are probably the most "sterile" setups anymore.

About 2 years back I had a 1-on-1 private session/lesson with Lynch, and he could barely even navigate around his own MTS Lynchbox amp to figure out how to dial it in for the smaller room we were in. One of the guys who worked at the shop helped him set it up. His playing kicked ass and I learned a ton from talking and playing with him, but I wondered if he was drunk/high/sleep deprived, etc. Or if that was just the way he is now.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given being in the rock n'roll business for 30+ years and living the life of an 80's guitar god, but it gave me a reality check that these guys are not up on a pedestal - just regular dudes who sometimes have residual effects of the glamour . . .

But back on topic, Frank Hannon (Tesla) has been my favorite thus far. I haven't seen them all, but from the few I've watched I really enjoyed Hannon. Lynch's spirits were high and he seemed incredibly lucid with the TMS hosts when they'd talk back and forth though. I'm waiting for someone like Satch or Vai or even Joe Bonamassa to take the guest spot :D I think a guest spot for an up and coming guitarist would be killer.

I thought Lynch's tone on this past weekend's TMS was pretty sick. Deep, punchy, a bit mushy, but still pretty mean. I couldn't see what he was playing, but thought it looked like a Diezel.

I’ve seen most of the TMS guest players and very few of them really impressed me. The ones I remember were Stevens, Aldrich, Broderick, MacAlpine, and a few others.

Seriously… the thought of just jamming some quick, tired practice licks is less than inspirational to most musicians. If TMS wanted to do it right (as in REALLY showcase these legends), they’d have a backup band (ala EVERY other live talk show) and let these monsters shred their stuff over some inspirational background music. I HATE sitting down in a music store and shredding the same tired, old licks. But put on a CD for me to jam over and then some magic (ie… making MUSIC) starts to happen. Many of the best musicians rely on the inspiration of music to really bring out their best work at the moment. Not just rehashing some sterile exercises that they play for warm-ups.

The only player that I remember seeing on TMS that left me thinking “what in the hell were they thinking” was Gilby Clarke. Seriously? Why not just have any old kid from a Guitar Center as a guest. I’ve never seen him do anything that a hundred players in every city couldn’t do while they were suffering from the flu…

Back