Have you found YOUR sound?

Soundstorm

Personally, so far ESP/Diezel/Marshall are getting me where I want to be. For some reason it took over two decades to stop chasing the vintage tones and guitars of my heroes and start going for purpose built amps and guitars for the heavier styles I play in.

In your quest: What sound were you after, what style do you play, how long did it take to find what works for you, or are you still hunting? What's your ultimate setup so far?

I've always been a Marshall guy, modded/stock+ a pedal, but needed to play/own a few others to make sure. The Mesa stuff I've had has been killer, Rev C to C+s; but ultimately I'm back to all Marshall with a new MT100 to fill the 'other' tone needs.
My 2 early 70s Marshalls and a pedal or two and I'm good.

I barely play the same rig two days in a row. I like waking up and picking any random guitar, amp, speaker and boost and seeing what comes out, it keeps things fresh and most all my riffs come from the noodling while experimenting. I don’t think I could ever be a one rig dude, i like to play too many different styles and tunings

I’m really starting to dig the Lynx. I need to play it together with the Makoplex. Something tells me it will be awesome but still not the be all end all. Lol

I know what I like best for individual bands I’ve played in I feel like. Currently the wall of sound boosted recto thing works for my current band. I try to appreciate all different kinds of tones for what they are then dial them the best I can. Modded Marshall, low mid heavy amps, Fryette whatever….

I’ve achieved the sound in my head I’d say. Now I’d like to eventually experiment with other high quality amps in that vein. I’ve got a couple ideas, but none of them are happening tomorrow.

Currently some combination of:

EBMM/Ibanez/Jackson + Marshall/Engl/Mesa

For everything else, I have my guitar computer rig.

edit: and my custom build Ceriatone AC-100 currently under construction.

Last edited:
I have found my tone, and I don't search for gear much anymore....I have a few "ornaments" that I think of adding to the rack, but essentially I'm done.... 2014 BE100 I did the NFB mod, depth pot with switchable depth frequency into a 4x12 with m75 scums and 2 Friedman 1x12s for w/d/w or just slaved stereo into the two 1x12s.....took me forever but I haven't looked for amps since I got the Friedman(+ Mesa Studio Preamp for cleans)......My thinking was if you can't get your tone with this setup, it's not the amp it's player. It does what I need and then some.

I really didn't want to capture anyone else's specific tone, just have my influences like everyone does which guides what I think a guitar tone should be and I just tweak it until it sounds good to me/sound in my head. I'm an 80's metal/hard rock/shred guy/and lots of other stuff in various genres and sub genres of metal and rock(even some synthy stuff)...and everything that has been true to that level/style of playing since then.

Other than guitars, which I will always lust for, I'm no longer in the chase.....Just writing, practicing, playing and tweaking....enough sculpting power to last a lifetime.
IMG_8245.JPG
IMG_8241.JPG
IMG_8242.JPG

I think I went almost opposite of the OP. I was so accustomed to chasing moar distortion, moar saturation because that's how it went thru the 70s and 80s. But in the end I realized a cranked plexi was the sound all along...it was just the fucking volume that buzzkilled it over the years. But now we have that problem 95% solved...loop included. So now a minimal board in front of a cranked plexi loaded/racked/reamped into a vintage Marshall 4x12 is it for me.

Back