HELP W/ 5153 HEAD OR I AM THROWING IT OUT THE WINDOW.

OK. I got this about two weeks ago and LOVED it! :D The first time I took it out to gig with the third channel wouldn't let me switch to it via footswitch. Wierd, it was fine not a couple hours ago while practicing? Well found out it was the cable after trial and error. Tonight, 1 1/2 hours from home, I set up and start adjusting things. I go to try and engage the third channel and nothing. It switched to it but no sound. Turned the volume up and heard the very slighest hint of noise. GUYS, WHAT IS IT! :doh: I am going back to the venue tomorrow with some new preamp tubes because that's all I can think of. I appriciate any help. Thanks.

I'm thinking the actual switch on the board is F'd but I'm not an amp tech/builder.

I doubt it is the preamp tubes just based on what you said. Maybe clean the footswitch jacks/leads with contact cleaner.

These have a lifetime transferable warranty right? Maybe email Fender. They are pretty quick to respond.

shrug

Didn't even think of that. I am adding it to the list of things to do tomorrow. Thanks. But you don't think it would be a preamp tube for the third channel only (if there is one for that. i don't know the schematics of this amp)?

it is a pretty strait forward amp but remember

V1 = cleans and first gain stage
V2 = second gain stage
V3 = third stage and other stuff in some amps (again I'm not a tech)
V4 = Phase Inverter

so , no my opinion would say that you do not a preamp tube problem

FYI - you can safely swap preamp tubes around to troubleshoot that. Try it. You can run an amp with no preamp tubes at all so worries here. Power tubes is a bit different.

I have vid on how to check preamp tubes if you are interested.

Honestly - this sounds more like a switching problem. Clean all jacks and maybe try a different footswitch if you can. Does this happen without the footswitch plugged in? Sorry if I missed that. Try with and without.

311splawndude":kt4in0jv said:
it is a pretty strait forward amp but remember

V1 = cleans and first gain stage
V2 = second gain stage
V3 = third stage and other stuff in some amps (again I'm not a tech)
V4 = Phase Inverter

so , no my opinion would say that you do not a preamp tube problem

FYI - you can safely swap preamp tubes around to troubleshoot that. Try it. You can run an amp with no preamp tubes at all so worries here. Power tubes is a bit different.

I have vid on how to check preamp tubes if you are interested.

Honestly - this sounds more like a switching problem. Clean all jacks and maybe try a different footswitch if you can. Does this happen without the footswitch plugged in? Sorry if I missed that. Try with and without.
this tube assignment is not correct. the op has a 5150III by fender, not the peavey

Based on my experience with that amp, I'll bet it's a pre-amp tube. I had four 5153's (all returned and last one was traded) before I threw in the towel on that head....really loved the tone, but hated the unreliability. I do hear that the newer models are much more reliable though....And to be completely fair, Fender tried their very best to make it right.

I had a few channel switching problems the first year I had the amp and were all caused by either the cable or the connectors. Since I went to a midi swithching system through an RJM Mini amp gizmo I have not had a single issue.

If you can turn on channel 3 using the switch on the amp and still no sound (or very low volume) then I would bet everything it is a preamp tube. This amp does a number on preamp tubes. The tubes tend to blow easily if you have electrical issues with the amp (bad cables, bad power, etc.)

Once I switched to the midi switching set-up and began using a power regulator I have had no issues whatsoever with the amp.

Thanks guys. I had unplugged the footswitch and tried to switch the third channel from the front panel of the head and it wouldn't even engage. Thanks for the schematic Lance-a-not. I have some preamp tubes laying around but is there any that you guys found that you like more than others for the v4,v5,v6 slots?

Randy Van Sykes":k38l6om6 said:
Ever wonder if an EVH 5153 is aerodynamic?

i think the results of that would be :

thing weighs a ton =0

i just traded it today for a blackstar ht-5 and some cash i've finally realised that i'm after a modded british like tone, o was only using the 5150 iii at home, for which it was truly overkill

for preamp tubes after some experimentation with JJs/Sovtek/Tungsol , i preferred the stock setup on my early serial# 600 model

ie.

V1 Sovtek 12ax7 WC
V2, V3 - EH 12ax7
V4 - Sovtek 12ax7 WC
v5,v6 - EH 12ax7

V7, V8 - Sovtek 12ax7 LPS

Sovtek 6l6WXT + in the power tubes, but i never tried swapping them around, there's a thread a few pages back where someone tried with kt66s

think the later/newer models are all JJs, but it's all down to preference/taste

most likely it is a preamp tube related. the cable problem is common with peavey's and fender EVH's.

After much experimentation with preamp tubes I came back to what came originally in the amp. The early rendition of the amps (about the first 500 made, mine is #460) came with this set up and this is what I think sounds the best.
This is what came in mine:
V1: Sovtek 12AX7WC
V2: Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH
V3: Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH
V4: Sovtek 12AX7WC
V5: Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH
V6: Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH
V7: Sovtek 12AX7LPS
V8: Sovtek 12AX7LPS

The later models come with JJ's.

My serial number is like "21xx" and I always hear about reliability issues with the early models. Is mine an "early model"?

renegade5150":1z3nqvix said:
Thanks guys. I had unplugged the footswitch and tried to switch the third channel from the front panel of the head and it wouldn't even engage. Thanks for the schematic Lance-a-not. I have some preamp tubes laying around but is there any that you guys found that you like more than others for the v4,v5,v6 slots?
If channel 3 isn't engaging by utilizing the switch on the front panel of the amp (without the footswitch connected) than it sounds like it could be a more serious internal issue that would be in need of a qualified repairmen.

renegade5150":3qrgdaqz said:
My serial number is like "21xx" and I always hear about reliability issues with the early models. Is mine an "early model"?
No, you have a late model. Also, I still believe that the whole "early models have problems" is not accurate. Amp owners even with later models have many of the same issues, as we see here. Late models still tend to have issues w/ the footswitch cable and preamp tubes.

renegade5150":2otui5zi said:
OK. I got this about two weeks ago and LOVED it! :D The first time I took it out to gig with the third channel wouldn't let me switch to it via footswitch. Wierd, it was fine not a couple hours ago while practicing? Well found out it was the cable after trial and error. Tonight, 1 1/2 hours from home, I set up and start adjusting things. I go to try and engage the third channel and nothing. It switched to it but no sound. Turned the volume up and heard the very slighest hint of noise. GUYS, WHAT IS IT! :doh: I am going back to the venue tomorrow with some new preamp tubes because that's all I can think of. I appriciate any help. Thanks.

1/2 of V1, V4, V5 and V6 are for channel 3. Be mindful as to what type of tube is in V6 as that is the cathode follower. The New Sensor preamp tubes have a lower heater to cathode rating. I quickly looked over the schemo and it doesn't look they are raising the heater circuit reference. V6 should be a Chinese type.

Hope that helps.
Cheers,
Mike

On hand, these are the preamp tubes I can use tonight.

JJ ECC83S W/ a Ruby "HG" sticker on back
Sovtec 12AX7LPS
Sovtec 12AX7WC
Ruby 12AX7A
Tung Sol 12AX7
Penta Lab 12AX7

Any suggestions?

renegade5150":17gt4qbq said:
On hand, these are the preamp tubes I can use tonight.

JJ ECC83S W/ a Ruby "HG" sticker on back
Sovtec 12AX7LPS
Sovtec 12AX7WC
Ruby 12AX7A
Tung Sol 12AX7
Penta Lab 12AX7

Any suggestions?

Ruby, Penta or JJ in V6. For everything else, go with what sounds best to you :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Mike

Back