Herbert Fizz! How do I get ride of it? Tubes? -solved-

renob99

I tried an EQ pedal before the amp, that didn't really help. Can someone suggest tube options to get rid of this or any option? All so, the Diezel Web site suggests KT77's for power on Herbert, has Peter changed his mind on that? The PDF file I keep coming across has all EL34BHT for power and 12AX7AC5 for preamp. I just want a clean no fizz/sizzle high gain tone. PLEASE HELP ME!! :doh:

Thanks,
Adrian

Adjust channel volumes to the 10 o clock - 12 o clock range. Turn Master to higher than 9 o clock. What power tubes are you using? KT88s were super fizzy and hissy in mine. I swapped them out for EL34BHT Ruby Tubes. All Ruby 12ax7s too. Run presence around 11 o clock and go easy on the mid-cut. Almost forgot that.

What cabinet are you using?

This is Herbert after i swapped the tubes out.

Hey Spguitar, thanks for the reply.

I'm using a Diezel Cab with V30 and Vk12-100's. The only thing I can think to change is the presence on my amp which is set to 2:00. I'll try dialing that down.

I've got Ruby EL34 in the power section, not sure about the preamp, its been too long. My guitar pickups are EVH, which are pretty low output.

I had a different experience than spguitar with my Herbert.
I swapped out 2 el34's for 2 kt88's and that seemed to give my Herbert a lot more clarity and cleaned up the fizzies.
That's the beauty of the herbert, you can run 3 different pairs of tubes in the power section it you like.

Hey base341,
when you say you replaced the 2el43's for 2 kt88's, what are the other 4 tubes? Thanks, I'm just trying to get some clarity.

renob99":13cfr83y said:
Hey base341,
when you say you replaced the 2el43's for 2 kt88's, what are the other 4 tubes? Thanks, I'm just trying to get some clarity.

oops. I ended up liking the combination of 2 kt88's and 4 el34's.
It's easy to do with a Herbert that has external bias.
They are paired as 1&6, 2&5 and 3&4.
Make sure you re bias all the pairs after switching tubes.

Two more questions base341.....

Just to make sure the kt88's are at 1&6 correct?

What are you using for preamp tubes?

thanks again!

Lower the gain, run 4 x Ruby 6L6 and 2 x EL34 or KT77 (whichever you prefer). Keep the presence below 12:00 and the other settings as described above. With the speakers you're running your tone will annihilate!!!

I had the same problem with KT88's in the Herbie--TONS of gain, but tons of fizz, too...

Thanks racerevlon,
my gain is only at 11:00 on channel 3 with the mid-cut off and the mid in ch3 at 8:00.

what is your config on the power tubes? Are the 4 Ruby 6L6 on 1/6 & 2/5 and the EL34 on 3/4?

What are you using for preamp tubes?

Sorry to bug everyone about this, I'm just sick of the fizz. My last two gigs sounded crappy!!!

Hey renob99,

You may want to try the mid-cut option. Here is what I do: channel 3 - Gain: 10:30-11 o'clock, channel volume: 10 o'clock, treble: 10 o'clock, middle: 2-3 o'clock (or even more depending on your liking), bass: 1-2 o'clock, mid-cut: ON, intensity: 0 (fully counter clockwise), level: max (fully clockwise), master volume 2: ON, presence: 12-1 o'clock, deep: 10:11 o'clock. You may need to fine tune each of those depending on your liking and the room acoustics and cab used. The more you push the master volume the better it sounds :)
I have Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG in pre and 2x6550, 2xKT88, 2xKT77 in the power section.
I go with similar settings for channel 2 except for gain: 12 o'clock, middle: 1-2 o'clock and bass: 2-2:30 o'clock.

Hope this helps

Herbert :rock:

I asked Papa Diezel about the positioning of the power tubes pairs and he said it makes no difference as long as you have same tubes in the correct pairs (1/6, 2/5, 3/4).

I am having the same problem with fizz. Clean channel is flawless but there's definitely something going on with the distortion channels. I am also going to try the settings mentioned above. In any case, I have contacted Peter and taking the amp to him next week. Oh and I have 6 EL34s in there.

guys,

its the master volume. From what you discribed its what you get when playing at low volumes. My herbert smooths out when getting louder. I use a high channel volume, around 2 o'clock for ch2 and ch3, this helps getting rid off the fizz what youre discribing.
With these amps, all gain comes from the preamp, so you should start here. Adjusting the volume in the preamp beefs things up. Youlle find that pushing the preamp volume makes you adjust the gain you need.....less is more.

Theres always the factor...''something else'' that could be wrong.

Good luck guys

^ I have to admit I'm confused.

Is it the master or the channel volume that makes the difference? :)

Another thing that's worth trying is playing an open power chord and by grabbing both channel and master volume knobs turn them in opposite directions, trying to keep the overall volume consistent, in order to find out what difference in character they may or may not have on sound.

just saying, you should try a higher channel volume

I dont like playing the herbert with a low channel volume, the sound gets thin and fizzy....thats why :)

Just to throw another variable into the mix - have you tried different speakers?
I have one 4x12 with a V30/K100 mix, and one 2x12 with v30s (neither are Diezel cabs though), and although I've been fairly happy with the 4x12, the 2x12 in particular has always had some high frequency harshness that I've not liked. I recently did a back to back test of some Zilla 2x12s, one with a V30/K100 mix and one with two creambacks, and the creamback cab was much nicer imho. It had none of that high freq tone that I dont like and was much warmer and smoother.
So needless to say I've ordered a cab with creambacks :)
Maybe the V30/K100 mix isn't right for you either? Just another idea ;)

Back