Herbert sounds good at low volumes? Um..no??

kayman121

I just don't hear it.... what do you guys call low? I noticed the sweep spot on mine is with ch vol, master, and mid cut level all on noon. When I bring it down to more household friendly levels (which I never use anyways), it sounds a bit fuzzy with a lot of what appears to be background white noise. But everyone raves about how great they sound at low levels... Am I missing something? Is something wrong? :(

most tube amps sound better when they are cranked but what i
think most peopple mean with the herbert is that it sounds not bad
at bedroom levels and can get a decent tone out of them its not like
a jcm 800 that only sounds good loud but thats my opinion

Well... turn your channel volumes and master to zero... just turn around the channel a lil, then do the same with the master vol, it gets a HUMP (like some kind of boost) now it sounds better, but you cant go lower. I adjust the volume to taste. I still think it sounds very similar than everything at 2 o'clock, beside the speaker push. maybe it's my vader cab tho.

I just tried the master up, ch vol low thing. It helped a good bit but still it's a bit fizzy and white noisey. Guess I'm just not a fan of it at low vols. Luckily I can play it at stadium levels :LOL: :LOL:

It might also have something to do with the horrid JJs I have in V1, V2, and V3...waiting on 2 RFTs to come in so I can do RFT--RFT-->Tungsol. Got some Penta KT88SC comin in too.

You're lucky, I can play mine very loud maybe once a month or something...makes me wonder why I got herbie at the first place. but I cant just get rid of it, everything will sound bad after :gethim:

stefvorcide":1tk581c8 said:
You're lucky, I can play mine very loud maybe once a month or something...makes me wonder why I got herbie at the first place. but I cant just get rid of it, everything will sound bad after :gethim:

Yeah, I am. You can hear it from outside my house, but apparently it's dead silent in the neighbors houses so it's all good. My setup is in a basement so it dampens the volume a lot outside.

I play mine almost exclusively at home with the channel vol around 8:30 and the master at around 9:00 - that's for channels 2 and 3. Channel 1 has the ch vol at around 11:00. Sounds fine to me. :)

I think it might be that I haven't played at low low volumes in so long, the change in tone is drastic to my ears to drop from stage levels to whisper levels. I bet if I stopped playing it for a week or 2 then turned it on with the ch and master vol at 8:30-9, I'd think it sounds great.

not that I'd ever give a shit enough to not play it at roaring levels for 2 weeks just to see how it sounds at low levels :LOL: :LOL:

I'd like to formally recant this statement. I was just a fool who didn't spent enough time with the dials. But few days ago, I magically found such a heavenly and amazing tone with the master BARELY cracked. Now I almost actually prefer low volume playing cuz I can do it at any hour of the day or even night., and it still sounds brutal as hell. I've never heard an amp with such umph at low volumes, and most importantly, no fizzies :yes:

Simply amazing.

it sounds allright at low volumes, imo so much better than all the low watters

that said, if I had to compare it with the sound you get from it at high volumes, I'd have to agree with your initial statement.

kayman121":rn6khiw1 said:
I'd like to formally recant this statement. I was just a fool who didn't spent enough time with the dials. But few days ago, I magically found such a heavenly and amazing tone with the master BARELY cracked. Now I almost actually prefer low volume playing cuz I can do it at any hour of the day or even night., and it still sounds brutal as hell. I've never heard an amp with such umph at low volumes, and most importantly, no fizzies :yes:

Simply amazing.

if you don't mind, what are tour settings... and what kind of tubes are you using!

kayman121":2ly1u2h0 said:

Simply amazing.

I got my best recorded tone out of the Herbie the other day at the lowest volume I could get it.... I love this amp.

Back