Hiwatt Super Hi 50 blackout

The only thing that frustrates me about this amp is that you can’t switch channels or gain stages without the foot switch. Why they would design it that way, I have no idea.

I’m constantly rotating amps in and out and having to grab a foot switch just to change settings is irritating. And it defaults to Super Hi mode without the foot switch.

What I’ll likely do is change two of the pots to push pulls to change channels and engage /disengage the 4th stage. Mini toggles would be even more convenient, but that requires drilling. I may still do that anyway. Haven’t decided yet.

They have Chinese and UK custom shop models. It's pretty obvious if you look at the price points lol This amp is UK built
Yes, that I figured long ago from the site. But that Maxwatt thing I never got. I keep hearing it, but I also keep being dumb sadly.

The only thing that frustrates me about this amp is that you can’t switch channels or gain stages without the foot switch. Why they would design it that way, I have no idea.

I’m constantly rotating amps in and out and having to grab a foot switch just to change settings is irritating. And it defaults to Super Hi mode without the foot switch.

What I’ll likely do is change two of the pots to push pulls to change channels and engage /disengage the 4th stage. Mini toggles would be even more convenient, but that requires drilling. I may still do that anyway. Haven’t decided yet.

Probably same reason Mike Soldano did the same on SLO

Yes, that I figured long ago from the site. But that Maxwatt thing I never got. I keep hearing it, but I also keep being dumb sadly.

The Maxwatt thing happened because there were legal issues with the Hiwatt name in North America when the new Hiwatt UK company started up, so they originally sold the amps here as Maxwatt. They later got the rights to the name here so they're now Hiwatt everywhere.

IIRC somebody recently posted a full schematic for this over there...
FourT6 made the layout.

IMG_3174.jpeg

Last edited:
I fixed the foot switch/ gain staging issue. I’ll post what I did in case someone else wants to do the same thing.

The amp defaults to master / gain 1 without the foot switch. Master/ gain 2 are identical so I didn’t need to change that. I only need one set of controls.

The amp starts up on 4 stages (Super Hi) with no foot switch inserted. I much prefer 3 stages. So that needed to be addressed.

The factory foot switch jack is non-switched. Only one row of TRS terminals. Tip is master 1 or master 2. Ring is gain stage and sleeve is ground.

Here’s how it looks stock:

IMG_3196.jpeg

I removed the stock jack and replaced it with a better quality Cliff switched stereo jack. We need to activate the relay for the gain stages without a foot switch, so ground must be applied to the ring terminal on the switched side. Here’s how that looks:

IMG_3198.jpeg

Now there needs to be a way to switch that ground in and out to engage and disengage the 4th stage.

The two options are a mini toggle switch or a push pull pot. I chose a pot since I didn’t have to drill any holes that way. I can always return it to 100% stock. Although I don’t know why I would.

This amp uses oddball value pots. The masters are 100k, for example. So I used the treble pot for the push pull as it was a 250KL and I have those on hand.

I first removed the stock treble pot:

IMG_3197.jpeg

Next, I installed a 250KL push pull pot in place of the stock pot. Then, I grounded the rear terminals of the switch to the pot case. The rear terminals connect to the center terminals when pushed in. I then ran the ground wire from the switched side of the foot switch jack to the center terminal of the switch on the treble pot. This way, the relay will be grounded and switch into the 3rd gain stage setting with the pot pushed in. Pulling the pot disengages the relay and defaults back to 4 stages.

This solution works perfect. Amp starts up on master 1 and 3 stages without a foot switch. Pull the treble pot and you’re at 4 stages. Exactly what I wanted. There’s no popping or noises. Functions great and no more foot switch and cable necessary.

IMG_3199.jpeg

IMG_3201.jpeg

Last edited:
Man you have been busy with the amp! Not that it needs to be said but redplated was fantastic to deal with (as always since I own 2 GZ amps). Somehow I’m already gassing for that amp I just sold! The murdered out look crushes

Doesn't that Dover DA-50 share some of the same things as the Hiwatt Super 50? Seems like I saw that somewhere.

That’s all well and good but how does this bring us any closer to hearing that ’73 Marshall Greyback cab? :D

Nicely done.

Are you sure the masters are 100K? The schematic shows 250KA
Thanks.

Yeah 100% positive. I was surprised myself. I pulled the pot out and looked at the value stamped on it. They’re run of the mill Alpha pots.

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yeah 100% positive. I was surprised myself. I pulled the pot out and looked at the value stamped on it. They’re run of the mill Alpha pots.

Weird. I never pulled the ones in my amp so not sure what they were. I'll go through the schematic and my layout to see if there are any component differences with what I did manage to record.

Back