hot - rod marshall tone : VH4 or Einstein ?

slate

which head would nail the tone of a hot rodded marshall best - VH4 or Einstein ?
AND how dependant on speaker choice would this be ?
:confused:

Einstein all the way. The VH4 to me is too tight in the low end to be a rodded Marshall. Not a bad thing by any means, just a different flavor.

thanks for the replies guys ,
and which amp would have the more compressed sound on such a setting - eini or vh 4 ?
:confused:

Joeytpg":2ownecmi said:
I believe the VH4 is the most compressed Diezel around

+1

The VH4 is great if you want that compressed modern tone. Will slay all for contemporary hard rock but the Einstein is not as compressed.

Keep in mind that all compression is relative. The Einstein is the least compressed of all the Diezels but it is way more compressed than say a vintage amp, merely because of it's really high gain capacity.

I love my amp.

The response is immediate, punchy and wholly satisfying.

Records extremely well also, sounds great from clean to scooped metal tones.

I'm yet to record my Einstein, but as soon as my Metric Halo unit gets back from being repaired, I'll post clips!

slate":179n28tp said:
which head would nail the tone of a hot rodded marshall best :confused:

Easy one..A Hot Rodded Marshall. Get a Plexi and have David Bray mod it for you or get a Voodoo V-Rock and get what you really want. Bad idea to get a Diezel if that's what you're looking for. Just go straight to what you want or are looking for because Diezels have their own sound and sound NOTHING like a Marshall.

FriedChickenBandit":27cw7i6a said:
slate":27cw7i6a said:

Easy one..A Hot Rodded Marshall. Get a Plexi and have David Bray mod it for you or get a Voodoo V-Rock and get what you really want. Bad idea to get a Diezel if that's what you're looking for. Just go straight to what you want or are looking for because Diezels have their own sound and sound NOTHING like a Marshall.

well , you are right - that would be one way to get it :LOL: :LOL:

maybe i should've said " hot rodded marshall tone with a little of the Diezel magic thrown in " .

in fact , having considered this over the last 6 months or so - i'd like a diezel with a little more of a vintage / open vibe and with less compression than my einstein . ( yes i know FCB - youre going to laugh and tell us again that all diezels are modern sounding :D - and again you're right , but there are different degrees of this ) .
doug at diezel UK reckons the VH4 might suit - just waiting for a date to go and A/B one in the studio with my eini .
also going to try a 4x12 loaded with greenbacks tomorrow - i dont really like the V30's too much ( although i will say theyre way better than T75's !! ) .

slate":3s67q8gj said:
FriedChickenBandit":3s67q8gj said:
slate":3s67q8gj said:

well , you are right - that would be one way to get it :LOL: :LOL:

maybe i should've said " hot rodded marshall tone with a little of the Diezel magic thrown in " .

in fact , having considered this over the last 6 months or so - i'd like a diezel with a little more of a vintage / open vibe and with less compression than my einstein . ( yes i know FCB - youre going to laugh and tell us again that all diezels are modern sounding :D - and again you're right , but there are different degrees of this ) .
doug at diezel UK reckons the VH4 might suit - just waiting for a date to go and A/B one in the studio with my eini .
also going to try a 4x12 loaded with greenbacks tomorrow - i dont really like the V30's too much ( although i will say theyre way better than T75's !! ) .

Well, AGAIN..then you don't want a Diezel man. There's no such thing you're not finding a Diezel with little compression as they are all very compressed amps. The Einstein is in no way a vintage sounding amp either, I hear this alot and nothing could be further from the truth because none of them are vintage or vintage sounding period. I know, I own a modded Plexi SL, Soldano SLO, ELMWOOD MODENA 60 (couldn't resist..this is the shit!) and the great Diezel Einstein. The only thing that will give you exactly what you are describing is the SLO and if you want a more beefy modern sound like Diezel thrown in or as you said "Diezel Magic" then go with the Elmwood Modena or OD 100 SE+. I have a feeling when these things catch on..everything else will start to fade. Don't get me wrong I love the Einstein but I just don't play it anymore.

Or you can get a CAE OD 100 SE+ that will also give you what you're after. The SE+ I have a feeling will cure you're thirst since it's what you have been describing and the clean channel on it is the best, fuck everything else. Don't get an amp because it's the "cool" latest trend like Mesa was in the 90s specially if you're ALREADY wanting to change something on it and want a different sound out of it. Use logic and think about it. Or just do like those morons that get a nice Cadillac and drop it down and put those ugly little, tires on them. :LOL: :LOL:

If you get a Diezel you can't go wrong either. When you get to this level of quality they're all good and none is much better than the next just different sounds/voicings. I just have a feeling you haven't heard the other great amps that are out there and those that have exactly what you're looking for.

slate":3nm9yssg said:
i take your point FCB .
have you ever owned a VH4 ?

I would NEVER own anything with more than 2 channels but that's just me. I'd lose respect for myself if I did, that's just bubblegum to me. I have 3 rules about amps. 1. has to have good mids 2. no more than 2 channels 3. amps are for playing not for pressing buttons on foot switches. :LOL: :LOL:

I played a VH4 a few times and it's the typical Diezel monster. like I said earlier you can't go wrong with any of the Diezels, Elmwoods, Cornfords, Bad Cats, Fuchs, Soldano etc, etc. To me the best sounding amp today is the Elmwood Modena though.

FriedChickenBandit":1mbcrw5p said:
slate":1mbcrw5p said:
i take your point FCB .

I would NEVER own anything with more than 2 channels but that's just me. I'd lose respect for myself if I did, that's just bubblegum to me. I have 3 rules about amps. 1. has to have good mids 2. no more than 2 channels 3. amps are for playing not for pressing buttons on foot switches. :LOL: :LOL:

I played a VH4 a few times and it's the typical Diezel monster. like I said earlier you can't go wrong with any of the Diezels, Elmwoods, Cornfords, Bad Cats, Fuchs, Soldano etc, etc. To me the best sounding amp today is the Elmwood Modena though.

Not a fan of the Elmwood modena at all. Owned a 90 for a while. The highend is real ratty. Tough to get a smooth sound out of it in the highs. Give me a Diezel anyday of the week.

guitarman967":2m8gtrn6 said:
FriedChickenBandit":2m8gtrn6 said:
slate":2m8gtrn6 said:
i take your point FCB .

Not a fan of the Elmwood modena at all. Owned a 90 for a while. The highend is real ratty. Tough to get a smooth sound out of it in the highs. Give me a Diezel anyday of the week.

:LOL: :LOL: You didn't have an Elmwood then 60 or 90..you got taken somewhere down the line. :LOL: :LOL: Those things are perfect. I wouldn't buy the 90 though, too modern for me (but I could still use it and it is a killer amp). I have the 60 and it's perfect. I have never heard anyone say that about either 60 or 90 Elmwoods. Yours must have been used and something wrong with the tubes.

I love both and the last 2 days I've been playing live with the Einstein and the thing cuts like a fucking chainsaw. I started using the 2nd Master and have been getting some great playing with it. I can't do anything wrong on the fretboard with the Einstein :thumbsup: that amp is sick and there's not many amps that compare to it. :rock:

I would never take anyone serious that would find a complaint on a $3000+ amp regardless of the manufacturer be it Diezel, Elmwood, Bogner, Fuchs. Anyone that complaints about ANYTHING on these monsters just needs to learn how to play.

did someone of you notice that the 2 masters are differently sounding?
at the same level master 1 sounds a lot more aggressive while master 2 sounds a bit smoother !? no joking friends, dont tell me im stupid, its a fact !

Weird. Wonder if it is true. I use the masters on mine to switch between 'conversation' level playing and rehearsal/'my ears are migrating' volume. Lead channel MV for loud, btw.

The lead channel definitely sounds fuller at low volumes.

Hmm. :confused:

I need to do some experimenting.

:rock:

Oh yeah. The Einstein will make you either sound like a god or a moron. It does everything that you tell it to, take that as you may hehehe!

I understand that the new Schmidt will be the most organic sounding Diezel to date, based on tests by players at the Music Messe. You might want to audition that when it comes out prior to a final decision on any new amp. It shouldn't be too far off in the near future that the amp begins delivery.

Man, I love my Einstein.......I'd ONLY change two things about it......

1) being able to footswitch between modes in chn. 1 wihtout having a volume variation (I can do the ch. switching with duesentrieb's mod, but the volume thing is SOMEWHAT of a problem

2) Having a Midcut mod done to channel 2 (or to the whole amp) like a saw a dude in youtube that owns a VH$ with the midcut mod done by Peter.

With those two things (specially the 2nd one) I'd be one EXTREMELY happy mofo... :LOL: :LOL:

Back