How come you never see any MaxiMatchers for sale in the used market?

War_in_D

Are they that good that nobody wants to get rid of them? That bad? Too niche?

I got rid of my Hickok 800 tester because you couldn't "match" tubes with it, but there really isn't an economical tube matcher out there on the market.

My feeling is that since they are costly, mostly only re-sellers and complete "tube fanatics" will drop the coin for them. I fall in to the latter category :geek:

Once they are received, and work as they should, you probably couldn't convince someone to get rid of theirs. For the two types of people that I mentioned above, MaxiMatchers are worth their weight in gold.

I have seen some people try their hand at re-selling when they retire, and then realize that you have to move a good volume and constantly update your inventory to maintain the profit margin, so when it becomes too much like work (lol), they bail out and sell their Maxi's.

My feeling is that since they are costly, mostly only re-sellers and complete "tube fanatics" will drop the coin for them. I fall in to the latter category :geek:

Once they are received, and work as they should, you probably couldn't convince someone to get rid of theirs. For the two types of people that I mentioned above, MaxiMatchers are worth their weight in gold.

I have seen some people try their hand at re-selling when they retire, and then realize that you have to move a good volume and constantly update your inventory to maintain the profit margin, so when it becomes too much like work (lol), they bail out and sell their Maxi's.

I'd probably be in that second category too. I'm not planning on doing any reselling but would like to be able to either match my own sets, or verify that any vintage/NOS tubes I may have or buy are matched sets.

I saw that Orange just dropped the Orange Valve Tester MKII, which does power tube (including EL84's) and preamp tubes all in one unit. I've been checking that one out pretty hard too.

I’ve had mine for almost a decade and still use them. One of the best purchases I’ve made. Anytime a tube goes into an amp it is checked and marked down. This way I can replicate tube sets and / or tube combos. When I buy a new amp, every tube is checked before turning on the amp. I take no chances.

With tubes being an "obsolete" technology and not being made for the military or the general public you really need someway to test them. Tubes are a niche product that we're lucky to still be able to obtain. I can remember going with my dad to the hardware store to test tubes from our tv back in the late 60's early 70's. I own both of the Maxi testers I can't see selling them as long as I still use tubes.

With tubes being an "obsolete" technology and not being made for the military or the general public you really need someway to test them. Tubes are a niche product that we're lucky to still be able to obtain. I can remember going with my dad to the hardware store to test tubes from our tv back in the late 60's early 70's. I own both of the Maxi testers I can't see selling them as long as I still use tubes.

That is a great point!

So, given that the scales are tipping in favor of getting one of these modern technology tube tester/matchers and it's looking like I'm going to have buy new.. Of the current offerings, what would the recommendation be on which one to grab? Mind you, this would be for the casual tester/matcher. I'm not looking for something to test/match to resell tubes as a business.

I like the fact that the Maximatcher II gives you actual readings, but I don't really want to spend in the neighborhood of $2000 to get both versions to test power and preamp tubes. Plus you have to buy adaptors to be able to test tubes like EL84's (which I have amps that use). The Orange Valve Tester MKII @ around $1000 USD allows you test octal and 9-pin power tubes plus the most common preamp tubes all in one unit but all you get is a LED based "match" with no detailed readings to back it up.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Orange tester but I'm a researcher by nature so I'd like any input I can get, and will have to do some digging before I pop that kind of coin for either of these.

I’ve read a lot of off putting things about the Orange tester. To those looking into getting one, I’d suggest doing some thorough research.

The Maxi is definitely on my list of things to buy in the future.

I’ve read a lot of off putting things about the Orange tester. To those looking into getting one, I’d suggest doing some thorough research.

The Maxi is definitely on my list of things to buy in the future.

I saw the same thing, on the older Orange VT1000. Lots of people having trouble with reliability. I was thinking/hoping that maybe they had addressed that with the MKII.

So, given that the scales are tipping in favor of getting one of these modern technology tube tester/matchers and it's looking like I'm going to have buy new.. Of the current offerings, what would the recommendation be on which one to grab? Mind you, this would be for the casual tester/matcher. I'm not looking for something to test/match to resell tubes as a business.

I like the fact that the Maximatcher II gives you actual readings, but I don't really want to spend in the neighborhood of $2000 to get both versions to test power and preamp tubes. Plus you have to buy adaptors to be able to test tubes like EL84's (which I have amps that use). The Orange Valve Tester MKII @ around $1000 USD allows you test octal and 9-pin power tubes plus the most common preamp tubes all in one unit but all you get is a LED based "match" with no detailed readings to back it up.

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Orange tester but I'm a researcher by nature so I'd like any input I can get, and will have to do some digging before I pop that kind of coin for either of these.
When it comes to testing, and then matching there are ways to do it that don't require you to spend that kind of coin. Find an older tube tester, suitcase type, that has a self calibration test. Or, if you are not as trusting in it, have a tech go through it and check all the connections/caps for any possible issues. Then, use it to test how strong the tube is, leaks, shorts....so you at least know what you're getting into with each tube. When it comes to matching, all you have to do is get a bias tool that attaches to your multimeter, or get one that has its own reader, and use the same amp to test all of your 34s, for example. Write the number down on the tube base. After you finish you can then match them all up yourself. 6L6? Do the same thing with a 6L6 amp you own. This is a much easier way, and cheaper than spending 2K on the Maxi Matcher. It's a great piece of gear, but that's a lot of coin on something that's not a guitar or amp. My Mighty Mite tester was 45 bucks on ebay 10 years ago, and it's never failed in telling me what tubes are good, how strong they are vs which ones are bad and might take out something in my amps.

When it comes to testing, and then matching there are ways to do it that don't require you to spend that kind of coin. Find an older tube tester, suitcase type, that has a self calibration test. Or, if you are not as trusting in it, have a tech go through it and check all the connections/caps for any possible issues. Then, use it to test how strong the tube is, leaks, shorts....so you at least know what you're getting into with each tube. When it comes to matching, all you have to do is get a bias tool that attaches to your multimeter, or get one that has its own reader, and use the same amp to test all of your 34s, for example. Write the number down on the tube base. After you finish you can then match them all up yourself. 6L6? Do the same thing with a 6L6 amp you own. This is a much easier way, and cheaper than spending 2K on the Maxi Matcher. It's a great piece of gear, but that's a lot of coin on something that's not a guitar or amp. My Mighty Mite tester was 45 bucks on ebay 10 years ago, and it's never failed in telling me what tubes are good, how strong they are vs which ones are bad and might take out something in my amps.
This was my thought. The limits are that you would have to own an amp to test/match them in of each type. That being said, I did it this way with my output tubes just the other day! This sure can save a lot of money over a matcher, just as described. Good stuff.

Finally, a good reason to own a Single Rectifier! You can test 6L6 & EL34 for cheap! :LOL:

I've had an original Orange Valve tester for years now. It's definitely consumer grade, but it gets me some info without springing for a Maxi Matcher (which I'd rather have aside from the $$)

Pros:
- You can match sets of power tubes to within ~5% or so. If I'm in a hurry this is close enough to be safe without testing at the pins of an amp.
- Personally, I now know where each color of Mesa power tube should test so I know if one is way off base.
- Also I know where a non-Mesa tube falls on the scale so I can better match sets to my amps.
- If a tube is weak or flat out bad it tells you.
- You can check the halves of a preamp tube.

Cons:
- Does nothing for microphonics or noisy tubes.
- No specific rating info, only a LED to indicate the "range" it's in on their scale. I still have to test in an amp if I want to TIGHT match sets.
- Does not test rectifier tubes
- Does not test 6FQ7 tubes. (which all my Coliseums use)

I live about 15 miles from where they make the Maxi. I have seen them used for sale once. The price wasn't worth the difference new price.

I'm kind of interested in the Orange MKII.

I live about 15 miles from where they make the Maxi. I have seen them used for sale once. The price wasn't worth the difference new price.

I'm kind of interested in the Orange MKII.

Yeah, I reached out to them (Maxi) to see if they had them in stock, or what the lead time was on orders. I also asked if there might be any kind of discount for buying both units at once. I was told about four weeks to get them, and due to demand, the price is the price. I get it, and I don't imagine that I would budge either if my product was in demand. But, I can't see dropping a combined ~$1900 for both units when the Orange MKII would likely do everything I need it to. My main fear is the VT1000 (previous version) had some reliability issues, and I don't like that you can't pick (or know) the voltage at which it tests.

Back