How loud is a cranked Marshall?

Hope it’s loud enough I can hear you here on the OBX! Doubtful…
Happy Independence !!

Last edited:
My daughter got married 7 years ago. We had an 80s cover band play in backyard. (We live in county so no noise ordinance. The sheriff dept got calls from at least 2-1/2 miles away… tuff shit. I hired the deputies for the reception. What they heard the most were low frequencies like the bass and drums.

The HF content is due to 3 things OTTOMH:

The inline positioning of the camera's mic (HF's are directional)
The low-end energy spread itself sideways and upwards, reducing the LF-content ratio (LF's are non-directional)
The concrete floor assisted the high-end via low-angle reflection and reinforcement along its path

Just sayin' in case anyone wonders why it came across so-articulately.

Just in case, a 100w Plexi puts out about 130-140w when measured. Those ratings labeled by manufacturers are more like guiding values

I’ve had some good times in the boonies of Maine doing stuff like this. An ex has some family friends that live across the street from a mountainous area, I can’t remember what amp it was, it wasn’t great, it was a Kustom or B-52 something, but it was a full stack and fucking loud, opening the garage door you’d play a few notes and a couple seconds later hear them echoing off the hillside across the street. Some of the most fun I’ve ever had with a Squire Strat and a C-POS amp.

Hypothetically, say I take a cranked 2203 and a 4x12 out in my driveway to grace the neighbors with the national anthem tomorrow, how far would you guys say the sound will travel? Speculation and personal anecdotes welcome, also happy Independence Day
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT????????? I've cranked mine a few times and it never affected my hearing, not at all...................................:dunno::2thumbsup::D

Just in case, a 100w Plexi puts out about 130-140w when measured. Those ratings labeled by manufacturers are more like guiding values
Amp wattage is RMS (root mean square) which roughly means it's the average power output when clean. If you push an amp into distortion then it will go over the advertised wattage. This is why you typically double your speaker wattage compared to your amp.

My 40W is about 105 dB, so a 100W might be around 110 dB. If you look at Decibel scales that’s really loud.
My 2203 gets to 123db (with DV Mark neo 4x12 cab) and my 2204 gets to 121db (with 1982 gh100 4x12 cab)

Pretty loud in my small jam space.

Not as loud as my Hiwatt DR 504 was.....that thing was insane....

Last edited:
Hey,

this is a little off topic, but I hope that you can help me out.

I have a 100 Watts RMS tube amp that is loaded with 4x6L6 tubes. I don't want to completely crank it, but I want to turn it up really loud.

The mic I want to use has 148 db maximum SPL with pad. It doesn't say how much it can take without. My guess is that it is 128db maximum SPL, since the pad is -20db. I generally like how the mic sounds without the pad engaged, but I'm afraid that I might fry it.

My idea was to take measurements with my smartphone, but from what I have read, the smartphone specifications limit how loud of a signal it can accurately measure.

Has anyone measured amps with proper equipment, or knows a good resource? I'd like to get a good idea on how loud 100 Watt RMS amps get. I understand RMS is not an indicator of how much db an amp can output, but I'd like to have some examples anyways.

Take said Marshall rig, mic it and run it through a Midas digital mixer feeding a couple groups of Yamaha DXR-12s and a pair of Yorkville LS 801Ps.

Hey,

this is a little off topic, but I hope that you can help me out.

I have a 100 Watts RMS tube amp that is loaded with 4x6L6 tubes. I don't want to completely crank it, but I want to turn it up really loud.

The mic I want to use has 148 db maximum SPL with pad. It doesn't say how much it can take without. My guess is that it is 128db maximum SPL, since the pad is -20db. I generally like how the mic sounds without the pad engaged, but I'm afraid that I might fry it.

My idea was to take measurements with my smartphone, but from what I have read, the smartphone specifications limit how loud of a signal it can accurately measure.

Has anyone measured amps with proper equipment, or knows a good resource? I'd like to get a good idea on how loud 100 Watt RMS amps get. I understand RMS is not an indicator of how much db an amp can output, but I'd like to have some examples anyways.
I measured a 5150 full stack on 6.5 and it topped out at 126dB. This was back in the day when I gigged two 5150 half stacks in stereo. The reason was so that I could leave one rig at a church and another at band practice. Sometimes I ran both in stereo. I did measure the 5150 and that’s what it was. I didn’t measure it at 1 meter away though, so keep that in mind. It was more like 10 meters 😂

Twin with JBL's hit transients as high as 129dB on the kid's I-phone about a foot from the speakers. I would expect a 100 watt Plexi with speakers of similar efficiency to hit a couple more dB than that.

Back