How many G-Major users in this forum, we can share our experience and may be patches too..

:|::QBB:
supahd":3dcad said:
GLydian,

I shot you a pm with the output, didn't see an email to send to.

Thanks for you help.
Hi,
I got your message
It looks like you are running GLydian Version 1.3.0 beta version. This is old.
And you figured out the problem too. It is receiving invalid SysEx. This may be some thing to do with the MIDI interface. I am not sure.
My suggestion is:
1. Get the latest version of GLydian it is version 1.4 available in the top of this forum as sticky. get the Pure Java version and do the same stuff you did earlier.
2. You can use MIDI-OX( http://www.midiox.com/ )to debug your MIDI interface. See if the bulk dump works with MIDI_OX. If works then the problem is in GLydian. let me know.
Thanks,
GLydian

Hi
just downloaded your software, but can't connect my device to try it at the moment. seems great anyway ;)

a little suggestion: tap tempo should be in bpm, not ms, maybe you can add a converter in order to use the tempo settings in the effects...

GLydian":b9b95 said:
Hi,
I got your message
It looks like you are running GLydian Version 1.3.0 beta version. This is old.
And you figured out the problem too. It is receiving invalid SysEx. This may be some thing to do with the MIDI interface. I am not sure.
My suggestion is:
1. Get the latest version of GLydian it is version 1.4 available in the top of this forum as sticky. get the Pure Java version and do the same stuff you did earlier.
2. You can use MIDI-OX( http://www.midiox.com/ )to debug your MIDI interface. See if the bulk dump works with MIDI_OX. If works then the problem is in GLydian. let me know.
Thanks,
GLydian

Hmm, I upgraded the firmware on the gmajor, figured it couldn't hurt. Still not working correctly though.

For some reason when I run the pure java version it shows that it's ver1.3 in the command line output but the GUI shows 1.4 as does the "about" info in the applet.

In midiox it seems to get a dump, it's hard to know if it's working correctly though, there's a windows that's passing sysex info that constantly scrolls with info and when I have the gmajor send a bulk dump there's a ton of output in midiox.

I'm using a MOTU 828mkII as my midi interface, I'm going to try out a USB>midi adapter and see if that works.

r3zn0r":2207c said:
Hi
just downloaded your software, but can't connect my device to try it at the moment. seems great anyway ;)

a little suggestion: tap tempo should be in bpm, not ms, maybe you can add a converter in order to use the tempo settings in the effects...
That's a very good idea, I was just representing what is in G-Major right now.
May be in next release. After my Mark IV hangover.
Thanks for the feedback,
GLydian

Glydian, thanks for posting this editor! I just received the G-major and FCB today and I'm looking forward to using the software. I still need to pick-up a different interface, I have the edirol, I read on TC's site it doesn't play nice with the G-maj. , so I'm gonna get the M-audio uno.
Thanks again...

Lostlure":6ade0 said:
Glydian, thanks for posting this editor! I just received the G-major and FCB today and I'm looking forward to using the software. I still need to pick-up a different interface, I have the edirol, I read on TC's site it doesn't play nice with the G-maj. , so I'm gonna get the M-audio uno.
Thanks again...
Before you buy new MIDI interface wait and try your edirol anyway. There are many other cards which is not in TC site are known to work with G-Major.
Even if there is a problem that may be mostly for the firmware upgrade program from TC. For normal midi communication it might work.
My advice is since you have G-Major and FCB 1010 and if you plan to have computer connected to them frequent you need a MIDI interface with 2 MIDI in/out s. I think some thing like MOTU fast lane will be more suitable. But I dont know if any one already used it with G-Major.

GLydian":0901d said:
Before you buy new MIDI interface wait and try your edirol anyway. There are many other cards which is not in TC site are known to work with G-Major.
Even if there is a problem that may be mostly for the firmware upgrade program from TC. For normal midi communication it might work.
My advice is since you have G-Major and FCB 1010 and if you plan to have computer connected to them frequent you need a MIDI interface with 2 MIDI in/out s. I think some thing like MOTU fast lane will be more suitable. But I dont know if any one already used it with G-Major.

Thanks for mentioning the MOTU, I did think about the 2 MIDI in/out's after, and it makes sense since the editor looks waaay more user friendly than direct on the TC. Thanks again for your reply and the use of a great-looking editor... kudos Man... :thumbsup:

Had my G-Major for around 5 years. I tried the FCB1010 and couldnt get it to work. I believe this was a new board at the time and behringer had some compatability problems (they were aware of them I believe).

I presume thats all sorted now?

I only ask because I am using a Rocktron midimate which is great BUT:

a. You cant program it to send control messages and midi change messages from the same bank.

b. No expression pedals

Is it worth picking up the Behringer and ditching my Midimate?

paulmapp8306":7413b said:
Had my G-Major for around 5 years. I tried the FCB1010 and couldnt get it to work. I believe this was a new board at the time and behringer had some compatability problems (they were aware of them I believe).

I presume thats all sorted now?

I only ask because I am using a Rocktron midimate which is great BUT:

a. You cant program it to send control messages and midi change messages from the same bank.

b. No expression pedals

Is it worth picking up the Behringer and ditching my Midimate?

I just bought the FCB 1010 a little over a week ago. It has the lastest firmware, and uses a computer style power cord instead of a wall-wart for power. I bought my G-Major at the same time, so that has the latest version as well. so far, it's controlling the G-major fine, but i still have to program patches and assign the EX. pedals to various parameters. So to answer your question, yes, I think the issues have been worked out and for the price with it's features is why I bought it.

Hi all, new to forum here :)

I've been looking for a good discussion board for G-Major and this seem to be the better place of all ;)

I have a GMajor hooked in the loop of my Marshall heads, controlled by ADA MXC+Quad switch+CCP pedals.

I'm downloading GLydian now. I hate turning those parameter knobs too, and of course it already broke, as usual. Do it works with software version 1.26? (yeah, I didn't even upgradaed it yet :confused: )

Oh please help me: I didn't find any thread about GMajor freezing issues. Is there any talk about it?

Dharm":3d93c said:
Hi all, new to forum here :)

I've been looking for a good discussion board for G-Major and this seem to be the better place of all ;)

I have a GMajor hooked in the loop of my Marshall heads, controlled by ADA MXC+Quad switch+CCP pedals.

I'm downloading GLydian now. I hate turning those parameter knobs too, and of course it already broke, as usual. Do it works with software version 1.26? (yeah, I didn't even upgradaed it yet :confused: )

Oh please help me: I didn't find any thread about GMajor freezing issues. Is there any talk about it?

GLydian will not work with G-Major firmware version 1.26. Please upgrade to the firmware version 1.27.

GLydian

Hello to all! Another user new to the forum!

I just got my G Major a few days ago and am always looking for new and innovative ways to do things. When I saw that there was a program available to control the G Major from my computer, I was thrilled since TC hasn't made one.

i am also a Mac user and would love to check out the software program. Unfortunately for me, my rig lives in the band's rehearsal space and it's not available to me when i want.

My question is this: Can I run the program without a MIDI interface connected to my computer? So far I have upgraded to Java 5 and am running Mac 10.4.10. When I try to run the program, all I see in the menu bar is the GLydian menu on the far left. No other menus or GUIs. When I click the "about" menu, it just says 'java'. Am i missing something for the program to run properly? Or do I not have the most up to date version of GLydian?

Hi all,

Another newbie to rigtalk.

I have a Laney LC15R and im thinking of using rack based effects for delay/compression/reverb/tuner/phaser/flanger etc. My amp has an effects loop but i dont know if its series or parallel. Does it make a difference if im plugging in the rack processor in it? G Major is the only one in my budget...should i go for it or save up for a better one(since lot of reviewers have complained of it breaking down and being unreliable)

Another problem is that i have absolutely NO knowledge of MIDI.

Can somebody help me out?

Hey raj.
Your FX loop on your amp appears to be a parallel loop meaning that part of the signal is sent out to the FX and part of the unprocessed, dry, signal is sent directly to the power amp stage. The G Major will work in that FX loop and will sound best when you set their 'KillDry' function to on. What that does is provide only a processed, wet, signal at the output of the G Major to get mixed with the dry signal in the amp.

As for the build quality of the G Major, I personally think that it has a lot to do with how well you take care of the equipment. I've been in the live sound business for over ten years and have yet had any TC components fall apart or break on me, with one exception - that was another operator dropping the unit while putting it into the rack. At any rate, if the unit lives in a rack that has front and back covers on it, you are really reducing the chance of anything happening to it. Accidents do happen though. So, this is ultimately going to be your call. I'm just giving you my past experiences with TC equipment.

As for not knowing anything about MIDI, I will say that it's not that difficult to grasp. Especially in the guitar world because most systems only use very few commands in the MIDI arsenal. I didn't know anything about it until a short while ago when I sat down at the internet and did some research. I suggest you do the same. If I can remember some good links, I will surely let you know.

Hope any of this helps! Don't hesitate to ask!

Jeff

Thanks a lot Jeff...well i was also having a look at the Rocktron Xpression and was wondering how it is different from the G Major considering the fact that it is slightly cheaper and i suppose i will buy a Midi foot controller(i gig live quite a bit) with it so being on a very tight budget im trying to cut down wherever i can.

Also..How important is having a expression pedal in the midi controller if i use either the G Major or Xpression? Because i was wondering which one to choose out of the Rocktron midimate and the Behringer midi controller.

Thanks.

The importance of an expression pedal is totally up to you and your requirements of your rig. What an expression pedal does is allow you to vary a certain parameter in real time. For example, you could assign the tremolo speed to the expression pedal and you then can vary the speed from slow to fast - totally up to you. You could also assign the pedal to the output volume or input level. This would allow you to get real time control over the volume of your rig. A multitude of options are available with an expression pedal. It mostly depends on what parameters each rack unit will allow you to assign the pedal to.

Looking at the Midi Mate and the Behringer controllers, the Behringer controller will give you two expression pedals built into the unit whereas you would have to buy one for the Midi Mate, and it only allows one to be plugged into it. Don't forget that you can also plug another expression pedal directly into the G Major bringing your total number of expression pedals to two with the midimate. Other things to consider: Using the MidiMate with the Xpression, you only get one expression controller, but the midimate can be phantom powered from the Xpression. With the G major, you get an extra pedal, but you would have to run another cable to the unit for the extra pedal and you'd have to have a power adapter on stage for the Midimate. With the Behringer, you will have the same power situation but you can have three pedals with the G major (extra cable of course) and only the two pedals with the Xpression.

That's a lot of information, I know, but it mainly depends upon how much control you want over your sounds. It is not a necessity to have an expression pedal, but it is very nice indeed! So, I hope this helps more!

Jeff

chalnger86":62852 said:
Hello to all! Another user new to the forum!

I just got my G Major a few days ago and am always looking for new and innovative ways to do things. When I saw that there was a program available to control the G Major from my computer, I was thrilled since TC hasn't made one.

i am also a Mac user and would love to check out the software program. Unfortunately for me, my rig lives in the band's rehearsal space and it's not available to me when i want.

My question is this: Can I run the program without a MIDI interface connected to my computer? So far I have upgraded to Java 5 and am running Mac 10.4.10. When I try to run the program, all I see in the menu bar is the GLydian menu on the far left. No other menus or GUIs. When I click the "about" menu, it just says 'java'. Am i missing something for the program to run properly? Or do I not have the most up to date version of GLydian?

GLydian works with Mac OSX but you need to get the shreware MIDI driver mentioned in the GLydian download thread. You can find another thread related to GLydian on Mac OS in this forum. See if it answers your issues first. The latest version og GLydian is 1.4.
Thanks,
GLydian

Well, I've gone to the studio and picked up my Pro-Tools MBox. That is what I use for a MIDI interface. It communicates beautifully with GSharp for SysEx dumps.

Given this, I have also studied the topics about using GLydian with Mac and my problem seems to be a little different. I noticed that one of the differences in that I am using Mac 10.4.10. I don't think that should have anything to do with the program running in the Java environment. Here's my details as provided by Terminal:

Java version:

java version "1.5.0_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-164)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-87, mixed mode, sharing)

When I try to run the program, this is what I get:

GLydian Patch editor for T.C.Electronics G-MAJOR GUITAR PROCESSOR
Version 1.3.0 beta
Author : Nandana Perera
Thanks to DowntownPauly for the great MIDI deciphering work!
This is a beta version of the program. It may contain bugs and unfinished features. We depend on your feedback, So please give us your bug reports and feature requests
THIS PROGRAM PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
Before load
-- listing properties --
MAINDISPALY_BACKGROUND_OVERLAY_IMG=resources/GLydi anTextureGradiant3.png
LABLE_FONT_STYLE=0
MIDI_DIVICE_OUT=
EDIT_FONT=Arial
MENU_FONT_STYLE=0
RACK_U1_WIDTH=765
MENU_FONT_SIZE=10
LABLE_FONT=Tahoma
TITLEBAR_BACKGROUND_IMG=resources/TitleBarBacgroun d.png
NO_OF_ITEMS_IN_A_MENU=15
MAINDISPALY_BACKGROUND_IMG=resources/GLydianTextur e6.png
DB_FILE=/Users/ProToolsUser/Desktop/Pure Java...
EFFECT_BACKGROUND_IMG=resources/GLydianTexture6.pn g
RACK_EQPANEL_WIDTH=180
WORK_DIR=.
MIDI_DIVICE_IN=
EFFECT_BACKGROUND_ON_OVERLAY_IMG=resources/GLydian TextureGradiant3.png
LABLE_FONT_SIZE=10
MENU_FONT=Tahoma
RACK_U1_HEIGHT=115
RACK_MAIN_DISPLAY_HEIGHT=200
EDIT_FONT_SIZE=11
RACK_MAIN_DISPLAY_WIDTH=320
RACK_EQPANEL_HEIGHT_WIDE_FORMAT=210
WIDE_SCREEN_FORMAT=true
RACK_MAIN_DISPLAY_HEIGHT_WIDE_FORMAT=170
Can't find properties file. Using defaults.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at javax.swing.Spring$WidthSpring.getMinimumValue(Spr ing.java:328)
at javax.swing.Spring$CompoundSpring.getMinimumValue( Spring.java:399)
at javax.swing.Spring.range(Spring.java:173)
at javax.swing.Spring.getStrain(Spring.java:179)
at javax.swing.Spring$SumSpring.setValue(Spring.java: 444)
at javax.swing.SpringLayout.layoutContainer(SpringLay out.java:995)
at java.awt.Container.layout(Container.java:1401)
at java.awt.Container.doLayout(Container.java:1390)
at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Container.java:147 3)
at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Container.java:148 0)
at java.awt.Container.validate(Container.java:1448)
at java.awt.Window.pack(Window.java:495)
at GLydian.main(GLydian.java:47)

The program does "run", but as I have said before, I only get one menu which contains the "about" menu. When I click on that, I get an window that just says 'Java'. I have downloaded version 1.4 of GLydian from the download topic. I have also installed the Mandalone MIDI SPI files and still not working. I'm pretty much at a loss. I hope you or anyone else might be able to help me. I get very irritated with the GSharp interface and would love to get this application running! Thanks for all your help so far!

chalnger86":0db26 said:
Well, I've gone to the studio and picked up my Pro-Tools MBox. That is what I use for a MIDI interface. It communicates beautifully with GSharp for SysEx dumps.

Given this, I have also studied the topics about using GLydian with Mac and my problem seems to be a little different. I noticed that one of the differences in that I am using Mac 10.4.10. I don't think that should have anything to do with the program running in the Java environment. Here's my details as provided by Terminal:

Java version:

java version "1.5.0_07"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_07-164)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_07-87, mixed mode, sharing)

When I try to run the program, this is what I get:

GLydian Patch editor for T.C.Electronics G-MAJOR GUITAR PROCESSOR
Version 1.3.0 beta
Author : Nandana Perera
Thanks to DowntownPauly for the great MIDI deciphering work!
This is a beta version of the program. It may contain bugs and unfinished features. We depend on your feedback, So please give us your bug reports and feature requests
THIS PROGRAM PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
Before load
-- listing properties --
MAINDISPALY_BACKGROUND_OVERLAY_IMG=resources/GLydi anTextureGradiant3.png
LABLE_FONT_STYLE=0
MIDI_DIVICE_OUT=
EDIT_FONT=Arial
MENU_FONT_STYLE=0
RACK_U1_WIDTH=765
MENU_FONT_SIZE=10
LABLE_FONT=Tahoma
TITLEBAR_BACKGROUND_IMG=resources/TitleBarBacgroun d.png
NO_OF_ITEMS_IN_A_MENU=15
MAINDISPALY_BACKGROUND_IMG=resources/GLydianTextur e6.png
DB_FILE=/Users/ProToolsUser/Desktop/Pure Java...
EFFECT_BACKGROUND_IMG=resources/GLydianTexture6.pn g
RACK_EQPANEL_WIDTH=180
WORK_DIR=.
MIDI_DIVICE_IN=
EFFECT_BACKGROUND_ON_OVERLAY_IMG=resources/GLydian TextureGradiant3.png
LABLE_FONT_SIZE=10
MENU_FONT=Tahoma
RACK_U1_HEIGHT=115
RACK_MAIN_DISPLAY_HEIGHT=200
EDIT_FONT_SIZE=11
RACK_MAIN_DISPLAY_WIDTH=320
RACK_EQPANEL_HEIGHT_WIDE_FORMAT=210
WIDE_SCREEN_FORMAT=true
RACK_MAIN_DISPLAY_HEIGHT_WIDE_FORMAT=170
Can't find properties file. Using defaults.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at javax.swing.Spring$WidthSpring.getMinimumValue(Spr ing.java:328)
at javax.swing.Spring.range(Spring.java:173)
at javax.swing.Spring.getStrain(Spring.java:179)
at javax.swing.Spring$SumSpring.setValue(Spring.java: 444)
at javax.swing.SpringLayout.layoutContainer(SpringLay out.java:995)
at java.awt.Container.layout(Container.java:1401)
at java.awt.Container.doLayout(Container.java:1390)
at java.awt.Container.validateTree(Container.java:147 3)
at java.awt.Container.validate(Container.java:1448)
at java.awt.Window.pack(Window.java:495)
at GLydian.main(GLydian.java:47)

The program does "run", but as I have said before, I only get one menu which contains the "about" menu. When I click on that, I get an window that just says 'Java'. I have downloaded version 1.4 of GLydian from the download topic. I have also installed the Mandalone MIDI SPI files and still not working. I'm pretty much at a loss. I hope you or anyone else might be able to help me. I get very irritated with the GSharp interface and would love to get this application running! Thanks for all your help so far!

there are few updates for Mac 10.4.10 one is related to Java application load issue. I found in google search :
Apple - Downloads - Mac OS X - Mac OS X Updates
About Mac OS X 10.4.10 Update (Intel) Meet the world’s most advanced operating ... 2007 and addresses a problem where some Java applications fail to launch. ...
www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/ - 38k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.apple.com ]

This issue seems like related to an issue in Java library (SpringLayout) .
So can you please make sure you have all the updates to OSX applied. I dont have a Mac system. but seems like few people (more than 3) were able to use GLydian on Mac.

Back