I always hear about Scumback but what about Weber?

Are these the same speakers re-labeled? Who's played them? I am interested in changing out the V30s in my Orange 4x12. I need versatility being that we play everything from country, new wave, metal, to classic rock. I'm not feeling the V30s with the 5153 head. Just curious as of right now and wanted to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks :rock:

Weber VST makes my speakers, but they're a proprietary cone treatment/doping/parts exclusive to my company.

And just in case you're wondering, no, you can't get them to make them for you on the sly, nor can you put them together by doing their "My Tone" speaker customization.

Figured I'd just cover all the angles so you didn't have to wonder. ;)

I LOVE my Webers. As I mentioned in another topic, I got an interface and hope to load some clips up soon. I got complimented two nights in a row by sound guys saying "you have the best 5150/6505 tone I've heard. I flat EQed you" and that's impressive more because 5150s are the go to amp for everyone in hardcore/metal.

the Weber 1225's with pre-rola doping are good enough for me.

i have/had both Webers and Scumbacks. Scumback has some neat models now, but as close to apples to apples as they'll get, i don't hear much if any deference between them.

Greg Germino recently (a month ago) sent this to a client who ordered M75 65w and I in an email.

I did receive the pinstripe cloth and picked up cabs from my wood-shop the middle of last week. Four 4 X 12's with speakers going in all of them. A couple of these had taken 6 weeks due to grille cloth. Three of those cabs are already out the door....but not before play testing your cab with the M-75/65 alongside them.

Your cab sounds amazing with those speakers...no BS. It sounds so close to my 1969 B cab with 102 003 Lead cones that I was amazed and surprised. I don't know if Seavall has changed his recipe or if the speakers sent here by other folks had problems...but none sounded as good as this set.
No. I'm not blowing smoke, just telling you like it is. These sound every bit as good as my favorite set of old speakers and if anything maybe a bit tighter. I was super careful on the tightening of the frames...maybe that is THE secret. Whatever, I dig them a lot.

There's a difference between the 1225's and the Scumback M75's.

I have scumback h55/H75LHDC in 2 cabs. Don't really care about trying anything else at this point. I'm real happy with these.

I am a big fanboy of the scummies, but I also leave room for other flavors in my stable. I also like EMI's, ASW's, EV's, Jensen's. Weber makes great speakers! You are just going to have to try different flavors and see which ones you like...

I have not tried Scumbacks; however, I did own a pair of Webers designed to emulate G12-65s. They were quality speakers with very nice tone. If the Scumbacks are simply a better designed recipe for classic speaker tones, I am sure they are of excellent quality.

Scumback Speakers":w96cxgcg said:
Greg Germino recently (a month ago) sent this to a client who ordered M75 65w and I in an email.

I did receive the pinstripe cloth and picked up cabs from my wood-shop the middle of last week. Four 4 X 12's with speakers going in all of them. A couple of these had taken 6 weeks due to grille cloth. Three of those cabs are already out the door....but not before play testing your cab with the M-75/65 alongside them.

Your cab sounds amazing with those speakers...no BS. It sounds so close to my 1969 B cab with 102 003 Lead cones that I was amazed and surprised. I don't know if Seavall has changed his recipe or if the speakers sent here by other folks had problems...but none sounded as good as this set.
No. I'm not blowing smoke, just telling you like it is. These sound every bit as good as my favorite set of old speakers and if anything maybe a bit tighter. I was super careful on the tightening of the frames...maybe that is THE secret. Whatever, I dig them a lot.

I like a good testimonial from a happy customer. What would you suggest going into an Orange PPC412. Looking for an "all around versital" speaker/speaker combo.

mhenson42":gxeae2cf said:
I have scumback h55/H75LHDC in 2 cabs. Don't really care about trying anything else at this point. I'm real happy with these.
What is your "style of play" or does that combo do it all for you?

renegade5150":1ol8w9ve said:
Scumback Speakers":1ol8w9ve said:

No. I'm not blowing smoke, just telling you like it is. These sound every bit as good as my favorite set of old speakers and if anything maybe a bit tighter. I was super careful on the tightening of the frames...maybe that is THE secret.
Whatever, I dig them a lot.

M75 x4!!!!

Or H55 if you want tightness mixed with M75

I like a good testimonial from a happy customer. What would you suggest going into an Orange PPC412. Looking for an "all around versital" speaker/speaker combo.

I like both Scumbacks and Webers. For the Webers I own, they are all vintage Jensen inspired speakers, which is something Scumback doesn't do.

If you really want a good Scumback recommendation, there is a list of questions over at the Scumback section. Send Jim and e-mail with your answer to those questions and he should be able to provide you a great recommendation assuming you want to stay with the British sound...

renegade5150":3b1movn4 said:
The Hoff":3b1movn4 said:
Ya, go Scumback :thumbsup:
What scumbacks have you used? What did you think?
I love my scumback cab. I have them loaded in a Stone Age 4x12. M75s (65 watt). Really are stellar. I would like to experiment with some others but, I'm already so happy as it is-why fix something that isn't broken.

I really think you'd be happy with any of them. There are some pretty decent descriptions on the different speakers on scumback's site. Worth checking out.

Back