I Bought A Charvel Today, But I Dont Know What Model It Is..

Killing Nevada

I Bought I Charvel, But I Dont Know What Kind
So, as the title says I bought myself a Charvel today for $200 it came with a hardcase and such. Anyways I dont know which model it is to see if I got a good deal or not.

It has the Jackson Style Headstock with the Jackson Style font
It has a Neck Thru Body
It has a Floyd Rose
It has a Humbucker-JB or Duncan Distortion not sure, a Jackson single coil in the middle, and a Hot Rails looking singlecoil in the neck.
24 frets bound neck, rosewood
2 knobs
A toggle killswitch (could have been a 3rd knob before)
5 Way selector switch
Its a sparkly very dark blue/black cant tell really
Shark fin inlays
Body contour
Schaller straplocks look to be factory

Serial is C901864 stamped on the 24th fret

I'll try to add pics in a sec, but I have to use the cell phone for now

Got any ideas on what it is?

Edit cell phone quailty pics in the sig.

I was thinking this was one of the Model series but I dont have the 3 extra toggles and I dont know anything about Charvels so I'm probably wrong

cloudnine":ef847 said:
It's definitely a Model series, Model 6 I believe.

Thats what I was thinking too, but all the ones I saw on the net have 3 toggle switches (I assume for each pickup) and they all have a different logo on the headstock, if it is a Model 6 do you think I got a good deal?

I would say so. I'd have said yours was a Model 4 but they arent neckthru, only Model 6's are. Charvels were very touch and go and theres lots of weird anomalies out there.

Yep. Model 6... $900 US dollars? Are you in the US? If so, then I'd say yes, you paid too much... If outside the US then probably it was the going rate.

They're great guitars. I had one and it was very similar to a SL1, just felt a little.... Well... Cheaper in terms of build / materials. Played great though. Very smooth and speed friendly.

hey man,

i think that guitar you have is a Charvel 650XL. i have the exact same guitar but in Blue Sparkle. it is a killer guitar, i put a SD custom custom in the bridge and a little 59 in the neck. it sounds huge now!

Dan

MrDan666":872e5 said:
hey man,

i think that guitar you have is a Charvel 650XL. i have the exact same guitar but in Blue Sparkle. it is a killer guitar, i put a SD custom custom in the bridge and a little 59 in the neck. it sounds huge now!

Dan

I think you're right now that I look a bit more.. I thought the 650XL had the behind the nut locks, though?

Inearthed":34961 said:
I think you're right now that I look a bit more.. I thought the 650XL had the behind the nut locks, though?

Mines definitly a 650XL and it doesnt have the locking nut that bolts right thru the neck. Its a damn good guitar for the money!!

J*Dizzle":30290 said:
Thanks guys, I only paid $200 for this one not $900, I was just showing another guitar like mine that was for sale for $900. Is a 650XL a higher model than a 6?
Niiiiiice.... Score for you.

650XL is the continuation of the Model 6 basically... Model 6 was only 2 or 3 years, I think? 87-89??? 650XL replaced it and removed things (individual switches reduced to just a blade switch).

Of course I'm really tired right now so I may be totally wrong.

Inearthed":1e456 said:
Niiiiiice.... Score for you.

650XL is the continuation of the Model 6 basically... Model 6 was only 2 or 3 years, I think? 87-89??? 650XL replaced it and removed things (individual switches reduced to just a blade switch).

Of course I'm really tired right now so I may be totally wrong.

you are correct man! and also the Model 6 had a Kahler trem, whereas the 650XL had the Schaller floyd rose. Very good trem, the knife edges on mine are still 100% clean and my Guitar is a 1990 i believe!

Dan

Do either of you guys know where to find a wiring diagram, arent the Jackson pickups supposed to be active? I am getting really low output on the guitar. I thought maybe the added killswitch may have something to do with it, I also read that the 3rd knob isnt an extra tone but a mid boost? The place I got it from said, if I found something wrong they would pay for it to get fixed, I just need to know what the original set up was like on it.

J*Dizzle":cd0ce said:
Do either of you guys know where to find a wiring diagram, arent the Jackson pickups supposed to be active? I am getting really low output on the guitar. I thought maybe the added killswitch may have something to do with it, I also read that the 3rd knob isnt an extra tone but a mid boost? The place I got it from said, if I found something wrong they would pay for it to get fixed, I just need to know what the original set up was like on it.

The 3 controls are Volume, Tone and Midboost. The Jackson pickups are passive as far as i know, but the controls are active. theres a small circuit board inside the control cavity which is the midboost circuit and it runs off a 9V battery.

I dont have a wiring diagram for the guitar, but id imagine someone would have it on the JCF forum!

Dan

Hmm, I guess mine is no longer like that, theres no circuit board and no battery plug, I wonder if that was scrapped when whoever installed the killswitch.

J*Dizzle":801a1 said:
Hmm, I guess mine is no longer like that, theres no circuit board and no battery plug, I wonder if that was scrapped when whoever installed the killswitch.

Most probably. Are you specifically interested in having the stock pickups and midboost in the guitar? if so, usually you can find those mid boost circuitboards for sale on ebay!

I'm thinking I'm just gonna keep the pickups that are in it already, I wish I new what the neck pup was. Although, I really want a new 2x12 so, it may just go on the trade block or ebay.

I had a 750XL, which somebody put EMG's in. Great guitar, but I traded it in on a new Gibson Explorer way back in the early 90's. I think the 650 was HSS, 750 was HH.

I had a 750XL, which somebody put EMG's in. Great guitar, but I traded it in on a new Gibson Explorer way back in the early 90's. I think the 650 was HSS, 750 was HH.
16 year dredge?? haha .. that $200 score in 2006 would now sell for over 1k for the OP .. crazy times

Back