I just bought a Mojave Peacemaker!

Telephant

Not too bad a deal:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 601wt_1026

I haven't bought an amp in years (6?). :D

I've never played a PM but I've always wanted to. For those of you familiar with the amps, what's the power dampening about? I've read it doesn't really work while others say it does. Does it actually reduce volume or what? I don't need this thing to do bedroom tones, just loud gigging volume.

Any tone tips or suggestions regarding the PM are more than welcome.

From what I remember the damping really is not all that but knowing you you will have zero use for it.

Curt, Mentoneman, Sah5150....they can help ya out with that amp :D

Congrats man.

yeah boiii!

i'm gonna try and pick mine up today from vic

it doesn't give up the magic until the treble volume is on 7, so be prepared to:

a) play loud

b) attenuate

the power dampening is fine when you play live...it is a variable volume reduction. i used it along with the hotplate so that i could minimize how much of each i had to use. too much of either was a bad thing, but a little of both worked great.

but once you spend enough time with it, the lion's roar will have you in it's spell.

mentoneman":t3h28rm8 said:
yeah boiii!

i'm gonna try and pick mine up today from vic

it doesn't give up the magic until the treble volume is on 7, so be prepared to:

a) play loud

b) attenuate

the power dampening is fine when you play live...it is a variable volume reduction. i used it along with the hotplate so that i could minimize how much of each i had to use. too much of either was a bad thing, but a little of both worked great.

but once you spend enough time with it, the lion's roar will have you in it's spell.
Hearing you say its useful live is extremely helpful. :D

So is the part about the lions roar. :rock:

One more question about the power dampening.. Lets say I have the preamp dimed, and the power dampening is cranked up all the way, does it thin and fizz out sort of like the hotplate at full attenuation?

tweed":23gdyypp said:
Oh man, Austin is never going to be the same once Shea lays waste with this head. :rock:
:D

I actually restrung my Kramer for the first time in a couple years the other day too. I forgot how amazing it sounded. It use to have the original El Prez in it, but I put that in my Strat, I forget which one this is, (Its definitely hotter) but it sounds balls out. Hopefully the PM will appreciate.

Hlarious side note, I noticed last time I had strung the Kramer I wrapped the strings around the pegs in the wrong direction. I'm guessing I was stoned and the banana headstock through me off. :gay: :LOL: :LOL:

Digital Jams":x5ni5mae said:
From what I remember the damping really is not all that but knowing you you will have zero use for it.

Congrats man.
Thanks Scott. It was a pretty impulsive buy. I've actually been gassing for a Friedman with an fx loop. :confused:

Now I'm waiting until someone convinces me to have it modded by Fortin. :gethim: :D

Telephant":2cgjckr2 said:
Digital Jams":2cgjckr2 said:

Congrats man.
Thanks Scott. It was a pretty impulsive buy. I've actually been gassing for a Friedman with an fx loop. :confused:

Now I'm waiting until someone convinces me to have it modded by Fortin. :gethim: :D

:thumbsup:

Your bringing that with you on 12/4 I'm assuming. Looking forward to checking it out. My buddy up in Austin has a Fortin Cali mod. I'm gonna try to get his ass to show up to one of these ampfests.

mhenson42":2mih89la said:
Telephant":2mih89la said:
Digital Jams":2mih89la said:

Congrats man.

Your bringing that with you on 12/4 I'm assuming. Looking forward to checking it out. My buddy up in Austin has a Fortin Cali mod. I'm gonna try to get his ass to show up to one of these ampfests.
Like I'd miss my one chance to actually bring something new to the fest? :rock:

I'd love to check out a Fortin in person. Does he play in a band?

Telephant":3nbpbakp said:
mhenson42":3nbpbakp said:
Telephant":3nbpbakp said:
Digital Jams":3nbpbakp said:

Congrats man.

Like I'd miss my one chance to actually bring something new to the fest? :rock:

I'd love to check out a Fortin in person. Does he play in a band?

Not that I'm aware of. He works 6 days a week so I doubt he'd have the time. His name is warhead78 here on rig-talk. PM him, I'm sure he'd let you check it out.

Telephant":1gntxylw said:

One more question about the power dampening.. Lets say I have the preamp dimed, and the power dampening is cranked up all the way, does it thin and fizz out sort of like the hotplate at full attenuation?

i only say the PD live thing because most people judge the feature sitting in a room with it dialing tone and in that scenario it's not as impressive, because it does the hotplate thing and makes the raw tone blurry when you crank it down, but live on stage when you just want to tame the beast in minor increments it is ideal.

it is not a traditional "preamp" so don't expect to find a gain knob on the thing. no robogain in sight. what drive pedals do you have?

i had to run the PM at lower volumes use pedals and but the ultimate way to hear that thing is cranked and running at least a W/D rig.

mentoneman":3cz732kh said:
Telephant":3cz732kh said:

i only say the PD live thing because most people judge the feature sitting in a room with it dialing tone and in that scenario it's not as impressive, because it does the hotplate thing and makes the raw tone blurry when you crank it down, but live on stage when you just want to tame the beast in minor increments it is ideal.

it is not a traditional "preamp" so don't expect to find a gain knob on the thing. no robogain in sight. what drive pedals do you have?

i had to run the PM at lower volumes use pedals and but the ultimate way to hear that thing is cranked and running at least a W/D rig.

+1 The PD works OK at home. but I doubt you'll like it very well playing by yourself at home. With the band though, if you use it to bring the volume down to sane levels, it works well.

I didn't have a Peacemaker, but I had the 50 watt scorpion, and I liked running the treble volume around 5 or 6, running t he power dampening down maybe a 1/4 of the way or less (Turn it down until the knob is about level with the horizontal plane of the amp and then use pedals to get more gain when I wanted for leads etc, and turn the volume down on the guitar for cleans.

They're fun amps, Congrats!!!

mentoneman":i0l30oii said:
Telephant":i0l30oii said:

I don't use too much gain. JMP + OD set for boost is as much as I need. :D I'm using a stock tubescreamer right now and I Have an SD-1.

How does the PM do with fuzz faces?

Your description of the power dampening makes sense to me. Can't wait to try it out. I have a hotplate but it's 4ohm, and my cab is hardwired to 16 now. :doh:

So what's the easiest way to run a w/d rig? I need a power amp and another cab right? Can I use the fx return on my 2210 as the power amp?

Also, IS pulling two tubes and running it at 50watts ok with the PM? Is it like a JMP where you pull the two outer or two inner tubes?

Id love to hear you playing through an amp like this Bro, I think that its going to be a great fit.. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Telephant":35vrj2hz said:
I don't use too much gain. JMP + OD set for boost is as much as I need. :D I'm using a stock tubescreamer right now and I Have an SD-1.

How does the PM do with fuzz faces? i don't know..never had a fuzz

Your description of the power dampening makes sense to me. Can't wait to try it out. I have a hotplate but it's 4ohm, and my cab is hardwired to 16 now. :doh:

So what's the easiest way to run a w/d rig? I need a power amp and another cab right? Can I use the fx return on my 2210 as the power amp?
yeah you can use the return, and the PMs with power dampening have a line out built in with variable level control, so you can feed a delay and send the output of that to your JMP return with good results.

and yes you can pull the two inner tubes (vic prefers that because the heat buildup is reduced versus pulling the outer two and the inner two are physically closer together = heat) and run the PM at 50 watts,
but then the ohmage changes coming from the amp, so instead of feeding the 16 ohm speaker output from your amp to the 16 ohm cab, you need to feed the 8 ohm speaker output from your amp to the 16 ohm cab. i actually preferred that method of achieving 50 watts over the scorpion.

the sonic result for me was that the headroom decreased slightly, the mids got fuller and warmer, the volume didn't really drop that much, and the tone sorta got browner and saggier, almost like a variac effect.

mentoneman":38j1d6rj said:
Telephant":38j1d6rj said:

How does the PM do with fuzz faces? i don't know..never had a fuzz

yeah you can use the return, and the PMs with power dampening have a line out built in with variable level control, so you can feed a delay and send the output of that to your JMP return with good results.

and yes you can pull the two inner tubes (vic prefers that because the heat buildup is reduced versus pulling the outer two and the inner two are physically closer together = heat) and run the PM at 50 watts,
but then the ohmage changes coming from the amp, so instead of feeding the 16 ohm speaker output from your amp to the 16 ohm cab, you need to feed the 8 ohm speaker output from your amp to the 16 ohm cab. i actually preferred that method of achieving 50 watts over the scorpion.

the sonic result for me was that the headroom decreased slightly, the mids got fuller and warmer, the volume didn't really drop that much, and the tone sorta got browner and saggier, almost like a variac effect.

Shouldn't you be on the freeway to Apple Valley right about now? :gethim: :D

Telephant":15p25j6q said:
Not too bad a deal:

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 601wt_1026

I haven't bought an amp in years (6?). :D

I've never played a PM but I've always wanted to. For those of you familiar with the amps, what's the power dampening about? I've read it doesn't really work while others say it does. Does it actually reduce volume or what? I don't need this thing to do bedroom tones, just loud gigging volume.

Any tone tips or suggestions regarding the PM are more than welcome.
Great score. I saw one go for $1300, but this is the lowest I've seen besides that...

Power Dampening is for loud practice volume level or gigs. If you need lower volume, you need to add an attenuator. I used to mix PD with a Hot Plate, however, I personally like the LarMar PPIMV better - you're mileage may vary... You need to have the treble volume pretty cranked to get the goods with this amp - I'd say 8+... F'n stupid loud. Too loud for any gig except a football stadium. As I said the PPIMV is the ticket for me with NMV Super Lead style amps...

All this said, I was over at Mark Cameron's place the other day and he gave me his own wacky homemade attenuator to try. When my Metropolous 12000 Series '68 Super Lead clone shows up, I'm gonna give it a go...

Steve

Back