I just got a Mako Mak4 preamp but....(Tube Troubles)

The Makoplex channel has a micro-phonic tube, I think, but I don't know which one affects that channel. I have some tubes to put in I just didn't want to change them all. Anybody know what slot this would be?

By the way, this has got to be one of, if not, the best piece of equipment I have ever bought. This thing does anything and everything I need. :thumbsup: i can't wait to try out the Mako power amp now.

I think I've got it written down somewhere. i'll try to dig it up. You can shoot andrew an email. he's usually pretty quick to reply.

threadkiller":3d6u1dhf said:
I think I've got it written down somewhere. i'll try to dig it up. You can shoot andrew an email. he's usually pretty quick to reply.
Thanks man. Is his e-mail on his website? Why am I asking, I'll just look.

Found it.

V1-Global in
V2-Gain for Dorado and makoplex
V3-Clean gain and tone
V4-Crunch gain and tone
V5-Tone for Dorado and makoplex
V6-Global out

Make sure you power down and wait about 30 seconds or so after pulling the tube to put the new one in. This was per Andrew after I blew a few tubes swapping them out and was trying to figure out why I had such a bad batch of tubes. :doh:

v1 all input
V2 plex and dorado gain
V3 clean gain and tone
V4 crunch gain and tone
V5 plex and dorado tone
V6 all output

Cheers,
Mo

threadkiller":2vy2bih4 said:
Found it.

V1-Global in
V3-Clean gain and tone
V4-Crunch gain and tone
V6-Global out

Make sure you power down and wait about 30 seconds or so after pulling the tube to put the new one in. This was per Andrew after I blew a few tubes swapping them out and was trying to figure out why I had such a bad batch of tubes. :doh:
Beat me by 5 minutes :LOL: :LOL:

FWIW, I went with 5 Genalex Gold Lion ECC83 in all sockets but the clean channel, which was graced with a Jan Philips 12AC7 (I believe) and it sounds simply outfknrageous.

Peace,
Mojo

Ventura":2tczhw3i said:
threadkiller":2tczhw3i said:
Found it.

V1-Global in
V3-Clean gain and tone
V4-Crunch gain and tone
V6-Global out

Beat me by 5 minutes :LOL: :LOL:

FWIW, I went with 5 Genalex Gold Lion ECC83 in all sockets but the clean channel, which was graced with a Jan Philips 12AC7 (I believe) and it sounds simply outfknrageous.

Peace,
Mojo

Right now I have some RCA black plates RCA grey plates, EH , RUBY HG, JJ, and some other chinese tubes that I am going to give a shot first but I will definitely keep those in mind and thanks for the tube layout.

threadkiller":2f4k29lb said:
Found it.

V1-Global in
V3-Clean gain and tone
V4-Crunch gain and tone
V6-Global out

Thanks for the info. now time for some experimentation. :thumbsup:

FWIW, I did a big tube shootout one weekend quite some time ago, armed with TAD, Tung Sol, Ruby HG and HG+, Genalex, and a mess of others. The Genalex just sounded so f'n good, I out them in all the sockets - even the global in and global out. Every socket but the clean, as mentioned.

Expensive glass, but outstanding tone:
http://thetubestore.com/goldlionecc83.html

Keep us posted.
Mo

Ventura":1uokcuru said:
FWIW, I did a big tube shootout one weekend quite some time ago, armed with TAD, Tung Sol, Ruby HG and HG+, Genalex, and a mess of others. The Genalex just sounded so f'n good, I out them in all the sockets - even the global in and global out. Every socket but the clean, as mentioned.

Expensive glass, but outstanding tone:
http://thetubestore.com/goldlionecc83.html

Keep us posted.
Mo

Will do. I pick up the Carvin T100 power amp today. I want to try out some other power amps but I couldn't pass this up for $250.

Well I got the Carvin T100 power amp. I swapped the V2 tube for ruby HG and V1 got a NOS sylvania black plate 12ax7, in the Mako Mak4, and the rest are JJ ecc83s. I am digging the clean channel with both my PRS SC250 and the G&L Legacy. The Legacy sounds stupid good thru one of my egnater cabs. It has this lush, creamy sound that I absolutely love. The crunch is spot on AC/DC and with the strat, The James Gang ,Funk 49, sounds awesome. I know this is a high gain monster but I was stuck on those to channels for a while. The Makoplex sounded just as expected, hot rodded marshall, but i don't think the Ruby HG is the tube for that spot. I will do some more swapping later, right now I am having to much fun playing it.

Sweet man!! Glad youre digging it. Andrew designed them with JJs in mind (random lol). Youll notice a clipped resistor on the board. He basically twisted my arm to do that to kill the noise on the dorado channel, also made it so that you can use any tube in that slot (ie, no longer optimized for JJs). I never swapped any tubes in it...the one that was off was off since I got it, and I played it that way for a year. Never bothered me enough to swap it. Glad you grabbed that power amp too.

rbasaria":2pr3dlar said:
Sweet man!! Glad youre digging it. Andrew designed them with JJs in mind (random lol). Youll notice a clipped resistor on the board. He basically twisted my arm to do that to kill the noise on the dorado channel, also made it so that you can use any tube in that slot (ie, no longer optimized for JJs). I never swapped any tubes in it...the one that was off was off since I got it, and I played it that way for a year. Never bothered me enough to swap it. Glad you grabbed that power amp too.

Thanks again for selling it to me. No I am in the middle of figuring out how to put my delay and reverb pedal in between the pre and power amps. It's just something I have never done. Lol.

The Mako Mak 4 is on my Radar - though I don't do Metal- but the 3 other channels could be really cool for me.

Any of you guys try the JJ803s ( longplate ) in the Mako ?- it has a different feel and tone in some Amps, a little less Gain than the JJ83s but sometimes a wider sweetspot and bigger sound .

Always wondered about this amp.

Almost traded my Ultra Lead for one with some random Power Amp but couldn't bring myself to do it.

Maybe I should have idk

moltenmetalburn, I am no longer on Facebook but I know Andrew had posted stuff on that resistor clip mod a couple years ago on the Mako facebook page. It should still be up there.

Back