I just WAY overpaid for this....

As long as the cabinet has the 6402 speakers then you did alright pricewise. I bought a quad of these 6402's back 2008-2009 because of the pre-rola hype and I didn't find them to be any better than my original Blackback 25 watters 75 hz's. That being said alot of guys do compare them to pre-rola pulsonic 0014 coned speakers. Since I have never played a pre-rola I can't say if they are spot on or close.

Since Mr. Squarehead has heard the 6402's and Pre-Rola greenbacks then maybe he can comment as to how close they are. I would venture to say that if you like greenbacks you will probably like them.

As long as the cabinet has the 6402 speakers then you did alright pricewise. I bought a quad of these 6402's back 2008-2009 because of the pre-rola hype and I didn't find them to be any better than my original Blackback 25 watters 75 hz's. That being said alot of guys do compare them to pre-rola pulsonic 0014 coned speakers. Since I have never played a pre-rola I can't say if they are spot on or close.

Since Mr. Squarehead has heard the 6402's and Pre-Rola greenbacks then maybe he can comment as to how close they are. I would venture to say that if you like greenbacks you will probably like them.
They aren’t close at all. Have two ‘68 basketweave cabs that came with 014 coned 20 watt 55hz that were my favorite speakers. Used them forever till they just gave out and started sounding shitty. Bought a Wizard cab with the 6402 25’s. Not the same at all…wish someone made something like those 014 coned speakers.

They aren’t close at all. Have two ‘68 basketweave cabs that came with 014 coned 20 watt 55hz that were my favorite speakers. Used them forever till they just gave out and started sounding shitty. Bought a Wizard cab with the 6402 25’s. Not the same at all…wish someone made something like those 014 coned speakers.
Exactly.
The 6402s are cool; more like a post-Pulsonic cab but still not as good as the RIC, or early Mueller 1777s. But they do sound better than the Chinese RI to my ear.
I think Cantrell used them in Dirt and later; Facelift was an early 70s Pulsonic straight Marshall cab, in a stairwell lol.

Pulsonics have something special, for sure.

Exactly.
The 6402s are cool; more like a post-Pulsonic cab but still not as good as the RIC, or early Mueller 1777s. But they do sound better than the Chinese RI to my ear.
I think Cantrell used them in Dirt and later; Facelift was an early 70s Pulsonic straight Marshall cab, in a stairwell lol.

Pulsonics have something special, for sure.
I don’t mind the 6402’s. The Wizard cab sounded good live. They, like all these GB’s, sound too ratty for recording for me. Live in the room they are very good.

In my opinion, they’re one of the best (GB) reissues out there.

They’re not a 003 / 014 Pulsonic.
But, what is?😉

I have two quads of the Blackback 55 hZ 444 cones and I really like them. Some love these and others hate them. I like ‘em as they’re tighter with more punch and clarity than typical greenbacks.
I ‘liked’ them in a Marshall slant cab but, for me, they really shine in the straight Bogner 4x12 cab.

It’s all so subjective.

Last edited:
Not the same at all…wish someone made something like those 014 coned speakers.
How close has Jim at Scumback gotten to the 014 Pulsonic coned speakers with his M75 speaker line??????

I have also owned two quads of those and found them to be not different enough to my original Blackbacks although I really wanted to love them I eventually moved back to Celestion Heritage 12H-30 55hz and 75hz in both of those cabinets of which I am very happy with the Heritages. I have since come to the conclusion that I am not a Greenback 25 watter kind of person..........:yes:

How close has Jim at Scumback gotten to the 014 Pulsonic coned speakers with his M75 speaker line??????

I have also owned two quads of those and found them to be not different enough to my original Blackbacks although I really wanted to love them I eventually moved back to Celestion Heritage 12H-30 55hz and 75hz in both of those cabinets of which I am very happy with the Heritages. I have since come to the conclusion that I am not a Greenback 25 watter kind of person..........:yes:
Of the two quads I had, one was alot brighter than the one I really liked. The cones gave out eventually. Had Weber recone two as a test when he came out with his pre rola treatment…they didnt sound very good after. No idea if Scumback tried recreating them. Would be cool if he did. The ones I liked were big and meaty sounding, clear with solid bass. Ended up selling them off. Great while they lasted.

CL80’s and CB65’s are about as close as I can come to what I had.

Just got these delivered a few days ago,
They’re 1979 g12-80’s with 444 cones.
They sure don’t look 45 years old.
I’m going to try them in a Bogner Straight 4x12 cabinet.

IMG_5569.jpeg

Last edited:
I think the IR game is a tough one to get into nowadays because it isn't just the quality of the speaker, it is the preamp you use to capture it and the room where it is captured. You will be competing against captures done with API and Neve preamps in tuned environments. If you go that route, you might need to dedicate an amp room that is treated and have some good pres handy. But you seem to be figuring it out, I think you will make it work.
That may be so, but a lot of the big name IR’s just plain suck. They do not sound like just the miked up cab, they put their own sonic signatures on them with post processing. Whether its Ownhammer or Celestion or whoever, they’re all kind of processed sounding. One of those kinds of sounds may appeal to you, but it bugs me when the IR sounds already unnaturally smooth and you can turn up the treble and presence on your amp and it doesn’t do what it should because of the IR.

York Audio is one exception, there’s sound pretty natural. They have some of the only vintage Fender IR’s I have found that actually sound right. @easstudios mirror profiles are another that really just sound like mics on a cab.

But there’s still room out there for more, even competing against expensive rooms and signal chains.

I've never had the old g12-80s, but ahile back I snagged a brand new china cl-80 from avatar for $69. They still have some btw.
https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/blem-cabs/classic-lead-80-made-in-china/

Anyways I swapped it with one of the k100 in my avatar 212. It did give that cab more character, but the cl-80 just dominated on volume, or at least perceived volume. Then I played through both my 212s stacked with the avatar on bottom and the mesa 212 on top, and the cl-80 still dominated even though it was in the bottom cab.

It sounds great but imo it's a speaker that should fill a cab, not be mixed.

So I loaded it into my old peavey silver-stripe studio-pro 65w combo, and for the first time that combo actually sounds great without having to run into one of my real cabs.

Of course it's a pedal platform amp. I never even run the gain channel unless I want to get the hm-2-boosted solid-state chainsaw going.

Hope you get the Marshall cab as described Kyle. You never know with GC!

welp, I guess I got lucky!
Stock speakers still in tact and other than some dirt and dust from sitting, this thing is obnoxiously clean!
Sounds great as well! I don't normally like my super high gain tones through greenbacks but these ones sat surprisingly well with my Triple XXX on first riff.
20240403_112834.jpg
20240403_112224.jpg
20240403_112208.jpg

I've tried the 6402s twice over the years.
Don't get the hype. Not a fan. Too dark. I don't care for G1265s either, so...
I like the current GB reissue much more.

I have one of those. Nice enough. I did prefer it to an AX cab with the newer G12Ms. The top end seemed more pleasant. Sort of a "paper" sound to the newer cab?

I tend to just use my AV cab though. I prefer it. Smoother treble imho and more aggressive sounding.

Back