i love g12-65 celestions!!!!!

van hellion

i dropped em in my german front loaded cabs and BOOM!!!! love these speakers. dont really have the adjectives to describe it, but please try em if you can! so big fat and chewy!! im getting closer on my tone to what i hear in my head!!

A Wood

Hi Andy, don't you think they are a bit too dark sounding, esp. with a Herbert?
I was under the impression when I tried them - I still like a good broken in V30s much better than any other speaker.

Sounds interesting. What speakers you used before?
Im looking for some reference for the basis of your experience.

I love them to death for lead guitar, very warm and fluid.

For riffing/rock rhythm the lows are not clear enough (speaking for Einstein and Schmidt) in my opinion, they intend to be almost a bit muddy. I used them in a 212, maybe it is different in a 412 (with Marshall Amps).

best
Helmut

duesentrieb":ag5jxkah said:
Hi Andy, don't you think they are a bit too dark sounding, esp. with a Herbert?
I was under the impression when I tried them - I still like a good broken in V30s much better than any other speaker.

hey olaf, i think its the combination of my entire chain that really makes the sound that im looking for. the suhr's have a nice bit of cutting mids and presence in the mix, im also using the front loaded cabs for punch, with a v'30 i couldnt get the lead tone all the way where i wanted. just too much upper mid spike. i was running less treble and presence on my lead channels but that took away from the punch. Now with the 65's i have totally changed my settings on the amp but the end result is SLAMMIN!!! my dry crunch channel 2+ is treble at 12:30 mids at noon bass at noon. my lead tone (this is really drastic) is treble at 11:30 mids at noon bass at 9:30-10 oclock. deep noon presence 1:30 -2:30 (all of these depending on room of course).

i also switched pickups to the D series pickups from suhr. I have become a believer in the the fact that i need a dark speaker with dark pickups in a mahogony guitar and then add in all the top end at the herbert. My live tone has been so huge that even the guys i play with (one of which the drummer that plays in DFU also does my instrumental stuff and clinics with me) even noticed and asked if a bought a new pedal or something. So when those guys who are sick of hearing me notice something is up then i know im not being OCD lol.

this isnt to take anything away from a great v30 or g12-k100 speaker. I believe those speakers still rock and have their place in a musical environment, but for me with my hands and guitars and the herbert/einstein the 65 has just got me that much closer. they sound fantastic in my cabs on stage and in studio settings.

A Wood

While I have grown to sort of like V30s over the past year.....they just don't handle the bottom end all that well on my Diezel FL2x12. I hate when they "fart out".

eddiespaghetty":9091fuhz said:
I love them to death for lead guitar, very warm and fluid.

For riffing/rock rhythm the lows are not clear enough (speaking for Einstein and Schmidt) in my opinion, they intend to be almost a bit muddy. I used them in a 212, maybe it is different in a 412 (with Marshall Amps).

best
Helmut

I never used them in 2x12's but in front loaded 4x12's they sound vicious on the riffage!!

A Wood

i.ak":x8brlbv7 said:

before it was celestion k100's before that it was V30's

A Wood

van hellion":285nof76 said:
i.ak":285nof76 said:

A Wood
Andy, so you've never tried Scumbacks of any kind with your rig?

...Got two G12-65 for sale...by the way... but they are really good speakers, they sound very warm and can also bite a lot, but since I´ve got my Diezel cab, I´m satisfied, I would have tried them in the mix with the V30, but they have 15 Ohm, unfortunately...so I screwed (can I say it like this...?) them into a 2x12, and the sound was awsome.

:rock:

glassjaw7":2uomc421 said:
van hellion":2uomc421 said:
i.ak":2uomc421 said:

A Wood
Andy, so you've never tried Scumbacks of any kind with your rig?

no, i would love to do an a/b comparison, and i even talked to Jim a bit on the phone. I just ran into Rick from celestion at a gig i did and he offered to help me chase down tones through different speakers. the 65's won out in my shootout, have you tried scumbacks with a diezel?

A Wood

Rob Tahan":8ui55q0f said:
Very interested in hearing these badboys.
Im still digging the CL-80's. Have you tried those yet?

yeah, i got those in a boogie 2x12 (well at least the wearhouse version) for what your into these are worth a try!! silky smooth and dark, so when you add top end at the amp is a nice pleasant top end that creates a big "woody" type of lead tone. very pleasant!

A Wood

van hellion":1yrsgmvc said:
hey olaf, i think its the combination of my entire chain that really makes the sound that im looking for. the suhr's have a nice bit of cutting mids and presence in the mix, im also using the front loaded cabs for punch, with a v'30 i couldnt get the lead tone all the way where i wanted. just too much upper mid spike. i was running less treble and presence on my lead channels but that took away from the punch. Now with the 65's i have totally changed my settings on the amp but the end result is SLAMMIN!!! my dry crunch channel 2+ is treble at 12:30 mids at noon bass at noon. my lead tone (this is really drastic) is treble at 11:30 mids at noon bass at 9:30-10 oclock. deep noon presence 1:30 -2:30 (all of these depending on room of course).

i also switched pickups to the D series pickups from suhr. I have become a believer in the the fact that i need a dark speaker with dark pickups in a mahogony guitar and then add in all the top end at the herbert. My live tone has been so huge that even the guys i play with (one of which the drummer that plays in DFU also does my instrumental stuff and clinics with me) even noticed and asked if a bought a new pedal or something. So when those guys who are sick of hearing me notice something is up then i know im not being OCD lol.

this isnt to take anything away from a great v30 or g12-k100 speaker. I believe those speakers still rock and have their place in a musical environment, but for me with my hands and guitars and the herbert/einstein the 65 has just got me that much closer. they sound fantastic in my cabs on stage and in studio settings.

A Wood
Interesting, Andy - and thanks for the details.
Hmmm - I should give them again a try . . .

Back