I saw the REAL Pantera this weekend

RevDrucifer

IMG_5820.jpeg

I was definitely anxious for this, but wasn’t sure how much I was going to dig it at the actual show. While I’ve got no problems with this tour, I suppose I figured worst case scenario I’d be hearing some songs I love played at arena volume with a couple of my biggest influences involved. Well, within about 3 seconds of the first song I was fucking ecstatic.

LoG killed it, as they always do. That was probably the 7th-9th time I’ve seen them, starting 18 years ago in the same venue on Gigantour. I dunno how that band just stays consistent like that. Seeing Mark Morton jumping around now with his new-found health/sobriety was pretty cool. Randy must hold the title for most jumps off a drum riser of any frontman ever and that dude won’t be able to walk in his older age.

The thing I was curious about the most was if it was going to feel like it did when I saw Pantera back in the day. Some stuff can be done to recreate that, drum samples, sound effects, stage lights, but not much else. I’m not sure I’ve felt that kind of energy at an arena show since the last time I saw Pantera in ‘01. Metallica at the Garden might be the only show that I could realistically compare.

The audience going apeshit, screaming louder than the PA (which as fucking LOUD), the sound of those drums booming across the arena, that snare reverb traveling up in the rafters, the wave of volume from the audience singing, that’s the shit that made me happy.

Before you even get to inside the venue, you know what this tour is about. Walking into the venue from the parking lot you just hear stories about Pantera, Vinnie, Dime, people’s first time hearing them, meeting them, watching the home videos, the time they saw them on this tour and that tour, etc. As an actual fan of the band, it was really fucking nice to have a few hours where I got to talk Pantera without all the auxiliary bullshit like “doing it for the money” or “Phil’s racist” or “Dime had a confederate flag guitar”, just people talking about why they loved the band as much as they do, because the fucking music.

Setlist was killer, everything I expected…..and then they fucking played this-

I was already stoked with Zakk, he’s put his time in with the solos and delivered them about 90%-95%. When they started “Floods” I was thinking “Man, I really hope he put time in on this one” and aside from a couple tiny things that I didn’t even notice at the show, he brought it. My only gripe with him was his tone just ain’t cuttin’ it, literally. Too mushy and too much distortion. That probably works with his guitars tuned up, but can be so much better than what it is. The noise gate and Whammy ain’t enough.

I was glad to see Rex playing nothing but Spector’s all night. You can’t play fucking Pantera songs on a fucking Firebird bass when you’re actually IN fucking Pantera. Would have preferred the Ampegs onstage but at least there was some resemblance of his original tone going on.

Phil was outstanding. That dude hasn’t sounded that good since the early fucking 90’s, which is pretty damn impressive considering all he’s done to himself. That’s gotta take some serious restraint on his part to not just go for it, which is pretty much what he’s done his entire career.

I know I’m damn well looking forward to hearing “Floods” in a stadium this August!

One thing I definitely noticed, nothing of the band’s fault, but PA systems have gotten so much more hi-fi in recent years. There’s definitely an aspect of arena shows in the 90’s, with not quite as much clarity on everything, that I find charming looking back.

Nice review and im glad somebody is saying they enjoyed it, i saw them last summer with metallica and had fun, i would see them again, i seen pantera in 1992 and it was awesome and nothing is ever gonna be as good as dime and vinny onstage, but at this point i do wanna hear rex and phil playing pantera songs live at loud volume and fans screaming, im also a fan of zakk and charlie so overall for me i had fun when i seen them.

View attachment 285626

I was definitely anxious for this, but wasn’t sure how much I was going to dig it at the actual show. While I’ve got no problems with this tour, I suppose I figured worst case scenario I’d be hearing some songs I love played at arena volume with a couple of my biggest influences involved. Well, within about 3 seconds of the first song I was fucking ecstatic.

LoG killed it, as they always do. That was probably the 7th-9th time I’ve seen them, starting 18 years ago in the same venue on Gigantour. I dunno how that band just stays consistent like that. Seeing Mark Morton jumping around now with his new-found health/sobriety was pretty cool. Randy must hold the title for most jumps off a drum riser of any frontman ever and that dude won’t be able to walk in his older age.

The thing I was curious about the most was if it was going to feel like it did when I saw Pantera back in the day. Some stuff can be done to recreate that, drum samples, sound effects, stage lights, but not much else. I’m not sure I’ve felt that kind of energy at an arena show since the last time I saw Pantera in ‘01. Metallica at the Garden might be the only show that I could realistically compare.

The audience going apeshit, screaming louder than the PA (which as fucking LOUD), the sound of those drums booming across the arena, that snare reverb traveling up in the rafters, the wave of volume from the audience singing, that’s the shit that made me happy.

Before you even get to inside the venue, you know what this tour is about. Walking into the venue from the parking lot you just hear stories about Pantera, Vinnie, Dime, people’s first time hearing them, meeting them, watching the home videos, the time they saw them on this tour and that tour, etc. As an actual fan of the band, it was really fucking nice to have a few hours where I got to talk Pantera without all the auxiliary bullshit like “doing it for the money” or “Phil’s racist” or “Dime had a confederate flag guitar”, just people talking about why they loved the band as much as they do, because the fucking music.

Setlist was killer, everything I expected…..and then they fucking played this-

I was already stoked with Zakk, he’s put his time in with the solos and delivered them about 90%-95%. When they started “Floods” I was thinking “Man, I really hope he put time in on this one” and aside from a couple tiny things that I didn’t even notice at the show, he brought it. My only gripe with him was his tone just ain’t cuttin’ it, literally. Too mushy and too much distortion. That probably works with his guitars tuned up, but can be so much better than what it is. The noise gate and Whammy ain’t enough.

I was glad to see Rex playing nothing but Spector’s all night. You can’t play fucking Pantera songs on a fucking Firebird bass when you’re actually IN fucking Pantera. Would have preferred the Ampegs onstage but at least there was some resemblance of his original tone going on.

Phil was outstanding. That dude hasn’t sounded that good since the early fucking 90’s, which is pretty damn impressive considering all he’s done to himself. That’s gotta take some serious restraint on his part to not just go for it, which is pretty much what he’s done his entire career.

I know I’m damn well looking forward to hearing “Floods” in a stadium this August!

One thing I definitely noticed, nothing of the band’s fault, but PA systems have gotten so much more hi-fi in recent years. There’s definitely an aspect of arena shows in the 90’s, with not quite as much clarity on everything, that I find charming looking back.

Wow! Phil sounds amazing. They all do. Fantastic!

I saw them in a small club back in the day, for Far Beyond Driven tour. Craziest pit I've ever been in, and it wasn't by choice. It was so hot and humid in the venue the concrete floor was extremely slippery, keeping your footing became challenging, many failed.

Good to hear you enjoyed it.

Thank man. It's my Mother in Law so it causes more issues for my wife than myself. Thank fully we have Power of Attorney & all that.

My grandmother had it, my ex’s grandmother had it and both my mother and father are showing early signs of it in their behavior and medical testing. There’s not a damn thing I can to do get either of them to get things in order the best they can now because they’re both like children as it is, so I’m just gonna deal with it when it occurs.

Right here with you on PA's. I actually think on the whole concerts sound worse these days. The last few big arena shows I've seen in Nashville it's almost a neutered sound for lack of a better term. It's like there is no dynamics or something, hard to explain. Good example, saw the last Kiss show, you know the PA is the best of the best but the drums, the mix it was just kinda a mess in an arena that is designed for live concerts. Contrast that to the Reunion tour 25+ years ago in the same place (and I was sitting pretty much in the same place) and the mix was fantastic. Bone crushing loud but sounded amazing.

I just think soundmen are trying to clamp down on so much stuff they aren't letting things breath. I don't maybe it's just me but hey, at least you mentioned it as well.

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to checking them and LOG out next week.

Any feedback on the opening act? Worth catching?

Right here with you on PA's. I actually think on the whole concerts sound worse these days. The last few big arena shows I've seen in Nashville it's almost a neutered sound for lack of a better term. It's like there is no dynamics or something, hard to explain. Good example, saw the last Kiss show, you know the PA is the best of the best but the drums, the mix it was just kinda a mess in an arena that is designed for live concerts. Contrast that to the Reunion tour 25+ years ago in the same place (and I was sitting pretty much in the same place) and the mix was fantastic. Bone crushing loud but sounded amazing.

I just think soundmen are trying to clamp down on so much stuff they aren't letting things breath. I don't maybe it's just me but hey, at least you mentioned it as well.

My gripe was that it was just too clean sounding. Loud as fuck, I could hear everything and it seems like a stupid complaint to have given the context, I’d imagine it’s the same complaint when digital recording started up, “It’s just too clean”.

It’s like everything has it’s nice little area to reside in, sonically, instead of just getting on onslaught of sound out of the mains.

This is surely my old man yelling at clouds thing and overall, it’s a benefit to hear everything clearer in as many listening positions as you can in an arena, it’s just not the same as it used to be.

Thanks for the review. Looking forward to checking them and LOG out next week.

Any feedback on the opening act? Worth catching?

I caught a couple of their tunes when I sat down but found myself wondering “Who are these guys and why are they here?” and assumed they’re one of Phil’s Housecore bands. When I sat down they were doing “Cheap Sunglasses” and I get it, ZZ Top/Pantera/Southern Swagger, but I didn’t want to hear that shit then. Really, I’m fine never hearing that song ever again.

They didn’t catch my attention at all with whatever original stuff I heard, could have been any stoner rock band up there and I wouldn’t have known any better.

My grandmother had it, my ex’s grandmother had it and both my mother and father are showing early signs of it in their behavior and medical testing. There’s not a damn thing I can to do get either of them to get things in order the best they can now because they’re both like children as it is, so I’m just gonna deal with it when it occurs.
Sorry to hear that man. we aren't sure what we are going to do cause eventually it will be too much for us with both of us having full time jobs. My Mother in law had a little bit of Money but she spent the last 20 years spending it all on shit from QVC before the Dementia that is. she was Diagnosed at 71.....She's 76 Now.

FYI: Dementia is best treated with a keto diet. It’s literally more effective than any drug ever created and sold. Dr. Anthony Chaffee has a few priceless videos on the subject, as well as Pottenger’s Human on YouTube.

Basically, it’s advanced glycation of the brain, or Type-3 Diabetes. Can be stopped and even reversed. Chaffee had a guest on that runs assisted living homes and they were able to send people home/reverse it.

Best of luck gents!

Glad you had fun, but what’s “the REAL Pantera?”

The band I saw onstage Saturday night. Not sure who they kept showing in those videos the entire time and last I remember the guitarist didn’t have blonde hair and he drummer had long hair under a bandana, but as long as their next album is badass, I don’t care what their hair looks like.

Back