Ibanez experts in here.

fuzzyguitars

Which is your favorite RG series guitar and why?

I am looking at older RG770

what other models new or old that would give me that 24 fret shark inlay and two hums?

thanks

been on a ibanez kick of late

started off with a sabre in the 80's still have it.

recently got a frank gambale that I have been digging.

even pulled out a mothballed vai 7wh with ebony board

digging that too.

its funny because I have been exclusively playing big necked les pauls for the past 5 years!

thanks for the advice in advance

I've owned a 92 black and green universe and a yellow RG550 90's model.
The 550 was by far the best playing guitar I've ever owned. Tone was much to be desired sometimes, but played like butter.
I now play a PRS custom 24 and have a random S series mahogany with maple top Ibanez that I put some dimarzio's in. I like it, but sometimes wish the neck felt better.

I also owned 3 Rg 7-strings back in the 90's I think they were 720's or something around there. They played ok, nothing to write home about.

Check out the RG770DX for the ultimate shark tooth inlay Ibanez. Both the old and reissue are good.

Also, the newer RG2550 I use to have was awesome.

If shark tooth inlays are not a must, old RG550's are my personal fav.

my was my old RG760....mainly for sentimental reasons. I liked the HHS set up of it and the jagged shark inlays (we couldn't get jacksons here so this was the next best thing), but there was nothing overly special about it (I think it was one of the low level models)

severinsteel":w5ui0taa said:
Check out the RG770DX for the ultimate shark tooth inlay Ibanez. Both the old and reissue are good.

Also, the newer RG2550 I use to have was awesome.

If shark tooth inlays are not a must, old RG550's are my personal fav.
I love my 1991 RG770DX! Killer guitar.

770DX for sure.

Or my all time favorite Ibanez , the RG565. No shark inlays but matching color dots:

ESP565s001.jpg

Or if you absolutely need the sharks, the 540PII, also referred to the Alex Skolnick model:

540P_zps4ff54a1a.jpg

I'm an old Ibanez freak myself, just love the old ones.

Chris

Man the reverse headstock was always so awesome!
My favorite Ibanez ever made is actually a friends sig series they made for him. He produced my last band's EP and we tracked with it:

I also played a few of Tosin's prototypes when we went to AIM, he had some crazy stuff coming in from ibanez all the time.

IMO, the Prestige RGT series is the best hands down. Within that group the RGT2020SOL is my personal favorite. I mean, that neck joint...

g4hire":1bfy38pg said:
The 550 was by far the best playing guitar I've ever owned. Tone was much to be desired sometimes, but played like butter.
I now play a PRS custom 24 and have a random S series mahogany with maple top Ibanez that I put some dimarzio's in. I like it, but sometimes wish the neck felt better.

I also owned 3 Rg 7-strings back in the 90's I think they were 720's or something around there. They played ok, nothing to write home about.

I bought a used lefty 80's RG550 and it's the best guitar I've ever owned. I haven't owned many but it's far my favorite. It sounds great with a Super Distortion or a Tone Zone. Actually I replaced all of the pickups and currently have it as HSS. One issue I've had is the high E string slips off the fret boards occasionally so I have to compensate with a lighter touch.

LLEADD":1u238n3y said:
g4hire":1u238n3y said:

I bought a used lefty 80's RG550 and it's the best guitar I've ever owned. I haven't owned many but it's far my favorite. I sounds great with a Super Distortion or a Tone Zone. One issue I've had is the high E string slips off the fret boards occasionally so I have to compensate with a lighter touch.

Yeah, it's almost too easy to play sometimes lol.
Unfortunately I sold mine. I've seen a few in pawn shops over the years. Might see if I can find a steal sometime.

My fav Ibby is the original Jem FP. It's my holy grail due to it's neck. As for all Ibby's, the only advice I could lend is make sure you buy one with the higher end trems, If you end up liking one despite the trem, the TRS's have the same post spacing as the Edge & Edge Lo-Pro. The Edge III is something else & it's not good. The Edge Pro I & II are pretty decent. I have that EGN8 in my avatar & it had a few issues & I ended up buying a gold Edge Pro to replace the stock Edge III. I don't like the neck pup & I'm thinking of getting a Thornbucker {or two} for it. It needs new pots & I thinking about options.

This place is great resource for all things Ibanez.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 1696,d.aWw

I have an RG570 from '98 and an RGA121 from '05. Both Japanese.

The RGA sounds better. Not sure if it's the fixed bridge, the wood combination (maple/mahogany), or the fact that it's a Prestige, but it just sustains better, has a nicer snappy attack, and is overall more lively.

I prefer the neck on the RG570, and it doesn't sound bad either, just not as awesome as the RGA. The rolled fret edges on the Prestige are nice, but the fret ends are not bad by any means on the RG570, and the neck, even though it's skinnier, I feel it's slightly more stable on the RG, and less sensitive to temperature changes and whatnot. Just by a hair, though.

Back