If I was to get a Variac????

ZachMN

I have gleaned that some of you use them with your heads so if I were to get one which model or brand would you recommend? And what if any adjustments to the head should I be aware of?

Thanks....l

ZachMN":1uxghz31 said:
And what if any adjustments to the head should I be aware of?

Thanks....l

Depending on how "low you go" on the voltage, you might need to swap the bias resistor to get in range.

Drop the voltage first, then adjust bias.

For example, I have mine running at 100v @ 40mA on EHX 6CA7s.

It's not a great way to get lowered volume/more breakup if that's what your going after? It adds a certain sag to the feel and tone. If your looking to push the power stage into saturation more easily the Fryette power station or the Bad Cat Unleash are much better options in my opinion, plus you get a great effects loop with both those options. More expensive though for sure. I haven't heard anyone that played around with a variac saying how great they are.

Variacs are overrated imo.. My Mark V has a built in Variac on the power switch that drops the power to around 95 volts. The tone you get is brown.. In other words, everything is dumbed down, because you get less attack, highs, dynamics, clarity.. Get it? In this case, less is less.. If you want a compressed mushy amp, then it's for you.

-lots of miss-information-

-III got it right, lower the voltage, then adjust your bias-(and you may need a trim pot resistor mod, depends on how low you go)-

Variac did NOTHING for my '73 Superlead, just made it quieter, didn't add grind or distortion at all.

latest

US standard house wire 115VAC is a 15 amp circuit, if you limit your amp to 5 amps you're starving your amp.

Plus theres always a chance voltage can increase [boost] by mistake and screw up your gear.

I would never feel safe at a gig with a variac knowing someone could/would crank the volatage for whatever reason.

Variac's are made for Electronic Techs in a shop environment to bring up line voltage on new components/circuits slowly to break them in and other shop uses.

EVH started using a variac on a UK 230 volt Marshall using USA 115/120VAC wiring cause at the time it was the only Marshall he had.

I can tell you the Transformer spec's/parameters on an amp rated for 230 volt run at 90 with a variac are NOT the same as running an American Marshall or other 115VAC amp at 90VAC with a variac.

Not the same thing.

And unless he measured the output taps of the 230 volt Marshall tranny the amp could have been seeing 110-115-120 who knows despite what the variac was set at.

I suspect the amp was seeing slightly higher than 90 volts.

Variacs are just amp VooDoo that will cause un-intended problems down the road.

Besides nobody at a show is going to jump out of the first few rows with a volt meter and measure ur line voltage.

After a fatty & a few drinks they have no idea what your doing anyway.

paulyc":14zfhj3c said:
A Marshall only draws 4 amps, so a 5 AMP Variac is enough
Undertow-cover.jpg

What about the rest of the band ?

My buddy runs sound/visual for a TOOL tribute band and last week at a gig as soon as the show started they tripped a breaker and the venue and lost all power with the amp draw.

And the guiatrist uses an AXE II.

The venue like alot had crappy power.

This post was about using a Variac on an amp to alter tone, which in my experience, it doesn't...I can't speak to what went on with your buddy's band.

Variacs have lots of uses outside the one we're concerned with here...I've seen them in manufacturing being used to control the speed of a conveyor belt for example, and I think they're used for BIG light dimmers.

The MIC variacs are crappy anyway.

The old Military Surplus ones will last forever.

Yeah i don't hear the guitar amp secret sauce either.

If the average volt meter varies +/- 2 to 3 volts and the average line voltage can vary even more house to house, state to state i doubt the human ear [hammer/avil/ & stirrup] can detect +/- voltage.

If anything the sag of an amp is by feel and that can be had with a tube rectifier as opposed to diodes.

Im sure it won't be long til someone comes up with a variac stomp pedal.

My best friend just showed me a pic of a Wah built into a tennis shoe ... lol.

I have 2 Variacs, one made in China that I bought YEARS ago and another a friend gave me that's old USA production...the USA one feels and looks nicer, but they both do the job of making the amp quieter...I tried everything too, pulled two tubes, had a half power switch put in (Pentode/Triode) to cut the 50 watts down to 30-35, put it on the Variac at 89 volts, re-biased ALL the way up...didn't make it sag or feel different either, and no extra gain for sure.

Sounds good....on the list for the updated Fryette Power station so I'll wait and see how that sounds. Was under the impression it did a lot more than what some of you are saying it does....thanks for the feedback!

ZachMN":3kbhcx46 said:
Sounds good....on the list for the updated Fryette Power station so I'll wait and see how that sounds. Was under the impression it did a lot more than what some of you are saying it does....thanks for the feedback!

I'm on the list too! I thought I got in early enough to already have one here, but no luck yet. I read a thread the other day and a guy said he had one in the mail on the way, which was promising, but no word from anyone else. The new Power Station is gonna be great. :rock:

Back