If You Can't Buy One, Build One - "CCV" style

Even if I get it done tomorrow, no tubes until Tuesday. Estimating abut 530v on the plates. Got some Ruby EL34BHT's coming

technomancer":24c4git4 said:
So relay sockets through the board and wired underneath to the turrets on this one?
. Yes, I have really tiny turret mounted the unterneath. The sockets are then soldered to the underside of the turrets like eyelets. I mean they are tiny.

scottosan":2wsgqysk said:
technomancer":2wsgqysk said:
So relay sockets through the board and wired underneath to the turrets on this one?
. Yes, I have really tiny turret mounted the unterneath. The sockets are then soldered to the underside of the turrets like eyelets. I mean they are tiny.

Ah ok cool, you can just see them in a couple of the pics now that I look again. I saw them on your previous build but these seem even smaller than those.

I love these threads. I would love to build one, don't even want to keep it, just want to build one.

vultures":31pus4v6 said:
I love these threads. I would love to build one, don't even want to keep it, just want to build one.
Cool! I'll buy it... you build it then send it to me!

negaodapicona":1b828yu2 said:
The funny part is:

You are building a CCV and Mark Cameron can't do it!!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
im sure he can. I am only doing one. Big difference than going into mass production

scottosan":35fnftyy said:
negaodapicona":35fnftyy said:
The funny part is:

im sure he can. I am only doing one. Big difference than going into mass production

Exactly. One reason is Mark would end up tweaking every amp differently since part values will be different and create slightly different tones. Kinda like how Marshall amps all sound different. Mark likes to make sure all amps sound good, not just a few. It's a curse.

psychodave":349ra8mb said:
scottosan":349ra8mb said:
negaodapicona":349ra8mb said:
The funny part is:

Exactly. One reason is Mark would end up tweaking every amp differently since part values will be different and create slightly different tones. Kinda like how Marshall amps all sound different. Mark likes to make sure all amps sound good, not just a few. It's a curse.

Unrelated but, psychodave, I thought years ago I read a forum where you had posted a few part changes to gain up a stock JCM800.. you still remember what those are? I should have taken notes as everytime you post I wonder what the hell I read in that post years ago and can't remember!

As for the clones, I think you should build them and sell them to forum members, one at a time 500$ down! (if you enjoy building. I had fun for a while but if you aren't detail oriented it ends up looking like a pasta special at East Side mario's)

psychodave":krtrxcim said:
scottosan":krtrxcim said:
negaodapicona":krtrxcim said:
The funny part is:

This is a little confusing to me. The CCV is a PCB amp with short flying leads. If you use 5% components of the same type in the same positions in every amp, they should all sound pretty much the same. I can say for sure that my amps sound almost identical from amp to amp. The variance is certainly not enough that you couldn't make them sound identical with minor EQ changes.

I totally get that Marshall mods would be tweaked by ear because you are changing a lot of leads and there were component switches all the time that also have big variances, And even a lot of the older PCB Marshalls have long leads and the lead dress varied from amp to amp. But with PCB amps like the CCV, huge variance from amp to amp requiring tweaking doesn't make any sense to me, unless you aren't using high tolerance components consistently from amp to amp. And not doing that doesn't make any sense to me either... If you don't do that, then you aren't building a "production" amp.

Steve

Kapo_Polenton":31dkm5kd said:
psychodave":31dkm5kd said:
scottosan":31dkm5kd said:
negaodapicona":31dkm5kd said:
The funny part is:

Unrelated but, psychodave, I thought years ago I read a forum where you had posted a few part changes to gain up a stock JCM800.. you still remember what those are? I should have taken notes as everytime you post I wonder what the hell I read in that post years ago and can't remember!

As for the clones, I think you should build them and sell them to forum members, one at a time 500$ down! (if you enjoy building. I had fun for a while but if you aren't detail oriented it ends up looking like a pasta special at East Side mario's)
It's like we share a brain...

sah5150":gfoklqq5 said:
psychodave":gfoklqq5 said:
scottosan":gfoklqq5 said:
negaodapicona":gfoklqq5 said:
The funny part is:

This is a little confusing to me. The CCV is a PCB amp with short flying leads. If you use 5% components of the same type in the same positions in every amp, they should all sound pretty much the same. I can say for sure that my amps sound almost identical from amp to amp. The variance is certainly not enough that you couldn't make them sound identical with minor EQ changes.

I totally get that Marshall mods would be tweaked by ear because you are changing a lot of leads and there were component switches all the time that also have big variances, And even a lot of the older PCB Marshalls have long leads and the lead dress varied from amp to amp. But with PCB amps like the CCV, huge variance from amp to amp requiring tweaking doesn't make any sense to me, unless you aren't using high tolerance components consistently from amp to amp. And not doing that doesn't make any sense to me either... If you don't do that, then you aren't building a "production" amp.

Steve

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you use a 5% tolerance on a 100k resistor, you could potentially get a 95k resistor or a 105k resistor. The difference could be 10k just on that one part between two different amps. Work that across dozens of resistors, capacitors, potentiometers, transformers and things can vary. In my original post, I never said amps will be completely different, I said slightly. This is where, IMO, Mark shines to make amps sound good to him.

Notice you didn't say amps would sound EXACTLY the same. ;)

psychodave":1keamtdv said:
sah5150":1keamtdv said:
psychodave":1keamtdv said:
scottosan":1keamtdv said:
negaodapicona":1keamtdv said:
The funny part is:

Steve

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you use a 5% tolerance on a 100k resistor, you could potentially get a 95k resistor or a 105k resistor. The difference could be 10k just on that one part between two different amps. Work that across dozens of resistors, capacitors, potentiometers, transformers and things can vary. In my original post, I never said amps will be completely different, I said slightly. This is where, IMO, Mark shines to make amps sound good to him.

Notice you didn't say amps would sound EXACTLY the same. ;)
Of course it is going to vary, but not enough that it should require tweaking component values. That was my point. You are going to have variance that is going to cancel things out in different places as well. In my experience, using 5% components in a PCB amp with short flying leads should make them sound so close to each other that simple EQ changes would make them sound identical. This is certainly true of my amps and that is what I like about PCB...

I think the need to tweak has more to do with the fact that Mark often used whatever he had on hand for parts, which would make a larger difference. Hell, the CCV I owned had a computer power supply in it for some DC heater implementation, which I presume wasn't part of the original design... not that I'm suggesting that particular change impacted the sound of the amp (except reducing hum)...

Either way, the CCVs I've played all sounded great to me and I could get them all dialed in to sound the way I wanted them to, so whatever he was doing worked. It would just seem that you'd want to mass produce them to have any reasonable shot at success and that means you can't sit there and tweak each amp. You've got to figure out a way to build them with greater consistency from amp to amp and I see no reason why that couldn't have happened...

Steve

I think the whole Cameron Amp thing is a joke. The guy clearly can't handle an honest days work. You got amateurs on this forum building amps in days/weeks with amazing quality and detail.

Then you got this sucker free gear dude who teams up with Cameron and still can't get shit done. Now they are resorting to Kemper profiles. Really dudes? What a joke.

Back