Is Randall going out of business??

I think Randall is just terrible at marketing.
They basically ran the rm series into the ground and that had a pretty big cult following. There's no reason that couldn't have been market better.
I mean take a look at backstar marketing...they came out of no where and they are everywhere now. It's not set in stone that only the established brands get to play.
I've played the 667. It's a fantastic sounding amp....but there's basically no marketing or anything associated with it unless you already know it's a fortin design.

-there was a huge buzz when Fortin was with them, but when they did come out, I couldn't even find anyone who carried them, I still haven't even seen one of mikes Randall's in person yet,

boyedav":bn7naz9i said:
diagrammatiks":bn7naz9i said:
They basically ran the rm series into the ground and that had a pretty big cult following. There's no reason that couldn't have been market better.
I mean take a look at backstar marketing...they came out of no where and they are everywhere now. It's not set in stone that only the established brands get to play.
I've played the 667. It's a fantastic sounding amp....but there's basically no marketing or anything associated with it unless you already know it's a fortin design.

I got a 667 used for $1K, and I think it sounds great. Using MDF to make the shells was a poor idea, but beyond that it seems rock solid. The transformers are massive and chassis mounted. I think Rez said there was a lot of sameness to each of the channels, and he was kinda right, but there's lot of room to do your own thing with each of them. With the six channels, three gain levels, and boost, there are a crazy combination of sounds. I moved mine into a road case, and it's my main gig amp.

I wouldn't even mind if the channels were all the same. It's six channels with tons of options and midi control so you can at least set them up completely differently even if they sounded the same dimed. I think for a grand that amp is a great value...
unfortunately there weren't enough sold that those deals pop up that often.

They shoulda kept making improved versions of the rg100es. The old black tolex ones looked classic, they were built like tanks, loud as hell, and like a Marshall, very versatile with different boosts or as a pedal platform. Back in the day they were the way to go when you lived in a rural town pre- internet, and an hour away from anyone who knew what an amp tech was lol.

diagrammatiks":bde92izc said:

They never even posted a demo of the Thrasher 50. NONE. Good sounding demos create the hype, and hype sells amps. Randall does the shittiest job of any company creating any buzz.

mchn13":3jwnr2o6 said:
They shoulda kept making improved versions of the rg100es. The old black tolex ones looked classic, they were built like tanks, loud as hell, and like a Marshall, very versatile with different boosts or as a pedal platform. Back in the day they were the way to go when you lived in a rural town pre- internet, and an hour away from anyone who knew what an amp tech was lol.

Agreed, I have a RG-80 I still use on a regular basis. The new RG series is not the same thing. I liked the RM series too, so many options. Great buys on the used market, but too much for new, especially with so many other options out there. They should have kept some made in the USA for the prices they charge.

I want a Thrasher 50. I've seen them on Reverb and Ebay recently. I love my Thrasher 120. It's a special amp and it always delivers live. It has shit for resale but it sounds/feels amazing. I tried to sell it a couple of times but little interest so I kept it. Glad I did. It weighs too damn much is my only complaint besides not having any resale lol.

Preparing for major shit-talk, but I've played the Kirk Hammett Fortin Randall for a solid 2 hours, and I think it sounds daaaaaaamn good. Crisp, tight, and edgy. It calls to me every time I go to my local shop, and it's been sitting and getting marked down for over a year.

misterspockyall":aalt802d said:
Preparing for major shit-talk, but I've played the Kirk Hammett Fortin Randall for a solid 2 hours, and I think it sounds daaaaaaamn good. Crisp, tight, and edgy. It calls to me every time I go to my local shop, and it's been sitting and getting marked down for over a year.

If it sounds good to you, and like it, who cares what anyone thinks. I have cheap amps right next to high dollar and vintage amps,I play them, own them, because I like them. I have not played any of the new Fortin designed Randall's, but I bet they sound good. Personally, just too much money New for a made in China amp. Made in China doesn't mean it's garbage, just gives concern on reliability and service. Like someone else said, Jet City did it right with cost, and the made in China market.

napalmdeath":2b64vmvx said:
They never even posted a demo of the Thrasher 50. NONE. Good sounding demos create the hype, and hype sells amps. Randall does the shittiest job of any company creating any buzz.

Oh they did a great job with creating a buzz... The problem was the timeline between the buzz and the delivery of the product. It took them so long, everybody forgot about it. That and Randall would attempt to create a buzz then fall through completely. They should never have even mentioned Meshuggah... Now we all know that'll never happen because Mike Fortin put out his own Meshuggah amp.

I was a HUGE Randall fanboy back in the day. Sadly Randall should have passed with Dime. RIP. My old RG and Century still slay any of their modern stuff. Warhead=garbage, WarheadX2=awesome tone only when used with 4x12 & 2x15 warhead cabs, yet the x2's were horribly unreliable and impossible to get repaired. MTS series=some good tones, but not amazing, really just a gimmick to sell overpriced modules. Newer SS rg amps are muddy garbage. Diavlos are muddy and very meh sounding... thrasher is not much better. The 3 channel RT series a few years back had promise, but were junk, the master had to be cranked to about 8 to even get to band volume and by then all you got was horrible feedback. I say either go back to copying Marshall circuits or say bye bye Randall. Lol

They had some amazing talent on their roster
Some of their RD and sales people were really
Incredible back in the day
Doug Reynolds with Mts
RD Steve once Joey D came on board from Bugera they lost all credibility as far as I am concerned .
They should have continued the modular line and kept Bruce gainfully employed as head designer
They wanted china and Joey D

Bloodrock":22uko1mf said:
I was a HUGE Randall fanboy back in the day. Sadly Randall should have passed with Dime. RIP. My old RG and Century still slay any of their modern stuff. Warhead=garbage, WarheadX2=awesome tone only when used with 4x12 & 2x15 warhead cabs, yet the x2's were horribly unreliable and impossible to get repaired. MTS series=some good tones, but not amazing, really just a gimmick to sell overpriced modules. Newer SS rg amps are muddy garbage. Diavlos are muddy and very meh sounding... thrasher is not much better. The 3 channel RT series a few years back had promise, but were junk, the master had to be cranked to about 8 to even get to band volume and by then all you got was horrible feedback. I say either go back to copying Marshall circuits or say bye bye Randall. Lol

I totally disagree with your Diavlo assessment, but I've only had experience with the RD45H, owned it three times. Very tight boosted, never experienced muddy. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It has more character than the EVH 50 watt, and is tonally superior at half the price. Yes, I've owned it 3 times as well. I've regretted selling the Diavlo every time, and every time I bought another EVH, I ask myself why? I find them bland, bland, bland.

What's the extent of your experience to form your conclusions?

Oh, I had an RT503H back in the day as well. GREAT sounding amp, (when it worked). I had to return it twice to get one that worked, (all under warranty). Killer amp, but a colossal piece of shit, too.

I owned a RD5 and RD100 head and also played A used RD20 head at GC. I think they sound pretty damn bad ass. The 100 had a cool sorta looseness to it without the built in boost engaged, but not in the least bit muddy to my ears. With the built in boost engaged (or boosted in front) it was tight and mean. I would love to try a Satan, Thrasher 100 and 5, 667, EOD88 and even the UAF Ultimate Nullifier but I have not seen any of them in person at a store.

Wish they had flooded the market hard with the Fortin stuff (thrasher,Satan and 667) so lots of people could have tried them. Then there would be more out there to score cheap. Might have to jump on the next cheap 667 that pops up.

boyedav":cd7h3l6h said:
boyedav":cd7h3l6h said:
diagrammatiks":cd7h3l6h said:

I got a 667 used for $1K, and I think it sounds great. Using MDF to make the shells was a poor idea, but beyond that it seems rock solid. The transformers are massive and chassis mounted. I think Rez said there was a lot of sameness to each of the channels, and he was kinda right, but there's lot of room to do your own thing with each of them. With the six channels, three gain levels, and boost, there are a crazy combination of sounds. I moved mine into a road case, and it's my main gig amp.

I also agree that there's a disconnect between how they've priced some of their amps and what consumer perceptions are. I went through A LOT of $2-3K+ amps to arrive at the 667, and as much as I like the 667, I couldn't see myself paying $2500 for one brand new. I don't care who the designer is or what badge is on it, I think people have a tough time with a Made in China amp having the same price as the flagship amps from Engl/Bogner/H&K/Suhr/Mesa/Marshall. That doesn't mean it's a fair perception, just that that's how it is.

Look at the Egnater Tourmaster. Despite the early QA issues, I think they're really good amps. You can argue that comparing the 667 to the Tourmaster is apples-to-oranges, and that's somewhat true, but the differences in components and labor shouldn't add up to $1K given Chinese production costs. Neither of these amps have chassis mounted pots or tube sockets or appear to use other labor-intensive practices. Beyond that there's R&D, support, marketing, and every other cost of business that goes into the markup, plus profit. With Randall, it makes me wonder how much they paid to license Fortin's designs or if there are other costs they need to recoup. Or were they thinking that if a real Fortin-built Meathead costs $6K+, then people wouldn't bat an eye to get a mass-produced Randall "Meathead" for $2500.

Like I said, I love my 667. It sounds as good or better to me than the other amps I've played in the $2000-$3500 range, and it's crazy versatile. Aside from the MDF shell, the build quality seems to be there too. Most of us would have no problem paying $3000+ for this same amp if it were an Engl, H&K, Bogner, Mesa or other high-end Made in USA/Europe brand. The 667 may well be worth $2500 new, but I think we struggle with a Made in China amp that costs that much given what we know of Chinese production costs, and especially a Made in China amp that goes for Made in USA/Europe prices.

I agree. I think the Diavlos are priced right, but the Thrasher Series and up are ridiculous. Here's a nugget I only recently read. The Headhunter, George Lynch model is point-to-point, hand-wired in the U.S., at $1999. But, I understand it's not even a high gainer, but based off power amp. http://www.randallamplifiers.com/produc ... eadhunter/

They have one rush thru demo on YT, and the only one on their website is a "teaser", and almost 3 years old. It's obvious their website is outdated. This company needs a major overhaul. Reinvent the brand, get with the times. They shot themselves in the foot hiring that Delaney douchebag. He may have gotten Fortin in the mix, but his behavior/business sense leads me to believe he could screw up a one car funeral.

I'm a modular guy. I simply can't afford a CCV, but I play the shit out of my Salvation Camerock module which is pretty much a CCV Clone. Same for my Orange clone and my MarkIV clone preamp. I'm thinking of getting Antoin's JJ preamp and maybe have him make me a Cornford one. And then there's synergy. If they can actually get the new amps and modules into production, that would be great! I'd love to check out the HBE, SLO and I've heard Steve Fryette is working on a module too. I love my Pitbull CL100!

Even when Randall was making the RM MTS products, they didn't really get behind them They said there was R&D for new modules but none ever came out. It took guys like Salvation, JF, SG, JH to make the modules really shine. And Synergy proves the concept still has legs. Randall dropped the ball. I guess they do this with everything. I never see them in stores.

I'm not a big Randall, or even a Fortin fan really, but it seems they could have done a lot better with that amp lineup and marketing plan. Lots of hype, but took forever to get them released, nobody seems to carry their stuff, and priced too high for Chinese produced goods.

Back