Is that REALLY an ADA MP-1 on XYZ's "Hungry" album?

Chubtone

Just listened to this album today for the first time in a few years and man Marc Diglio's tone is just killer! If I remember correctly, Marc was appearing in ads for ADA around this point and the liner notes on the CD say that XYZ uses ADA preamps. BUT...... there is also a special thanks to Mike Morin the Amp Wizard. It was kind of known that Diglio was a Morin modded Marshall user and then that he had one of the Morin tube preamps that he used.

The Morin stuff sounded killer from what I remember. A friend of mine had a modded 100w JMP and then later switched to the rack preamp. My memory at the time was him telling me that Morin said Diglio only used the ADA for clean sounds and that the whole Hungry album was Morin pre's for all the distorted parts.

I'm curious because I could never get an ADA to work for me.

Inside Out
Nice Day to Die
Face Down in the Gutter

Great band - they hit a bit too late though...

Have no idea on your questions, however... :D

Steve

I saw XYZ many years ago when they came through Minneapolis and he was using an ADA at that time. Sounded great!

:)

:|::QBB:
tnourse":5897e said:
I saw XYZ many years ago when they came through Minneapolis and he was using an ADA at that time. Sounded great!

:)

I don't doubt that he did use the ADA, but was there anything else in his rack, like say a light blue faceplated Morin preamp?

Chubtone":230ca said:

I don't doubt that he did use the ADA, but was there anything else in his rack, like say a light blue faceplated Morin preamp?

Sorry, I don't remember?? That was a long time ago! :D

I love Hungry! Much better than the self-titled album although I love Inside Out. The tone on Hungry is so saturated but fits their style of music.

Here is a clip I did of Inside Out with my Engl SE. Full of mistakes but a killer tune! I played it on a 7-string so it was a bit cumbersome getting to the E string without hitting the low B.

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=20628

Necro bump : Marc DID NOT use his ADA to record, it only went out on the short tour after Hungry. The blue Morin preamp was used into a Marshall Super Bass with an added Morin loop and some tweaks as the tone generator.

I recently had one; #14 of 18 made. Cool pre. Sounded like a modded Marshall, as you'd expect. But not better than my vintage boosted Marshalls so I moved it.

The greatest unknown amp modder of all time in my opinion. It’s criminal how much Mike is NOT recognized for how many albums his amps/mods are on.

It’s weird he won’t even talk about it. It’s like he never did the mods.

He will, but he’s retired and definitely has never been one to be super public online etc though either. His number is still publicly available and I’ve called and talked to him once or twice about my amp specifically. Real nice guy, and super knowledgeable of course as well.

I’ve spoken to him on FB. I just find it strange he won’t do anymore despite obvious demand, or provide any info, schematics, etc. if he’s truly out of it why doesn’t he want his designs out there ?

I’ve spoken to him on FB. I just find it strange he won’t do anymore despite obvious demand, or provide any info, schematics, etc. if he’s truly out of it why doesn’t he want his designs out there ?

I honestly don’t know how much demand there really is for his stuff, mostly given I’m guessing the fact that very few outside of us and people super into this kind of stuff are actually aware of who he is etc. I could be wrong, maybe there is a huge demand for his stuff. I know many, many people here like the way my amp sounds, but that’s a very small number of people of course. I would absolutely love to see him get back into it personally though.

I'm surprised nobody has divulged and or cloned the Morin stuff.

I think that Russian guy did do a preamp clone that he offers, right? No idea how it sounds, I’d be hard pressed to believe it’s really that close to his sound, but I could be wrong of course. There’s just not much access to his stuff either really. My amp specifically he told me he only did 10-12 for what it’s worth. And I know for a fact many of his amps have sat in bigger studios and have just never been sold either.

Last edited:
Back