Is there a good 2 space (or single) tube Mono power amp?

Drew

Most of the quality tube power amps for guitar rigs are stereo. I usually just use one cab (either a 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12 depending on the gig). I know on some stereo amps you can run just one side but that seems less than ideal to me.

Does anybody make a quality mono tube power amp for a guitar rig?

Flump":3pqtw04v said:
i know it can be stereo, but the Randall RT 2 50, can be run in mono with the ability to switch between 6L6's and EL34's, which is how I use it with my Axe-FX.

Exactly what I was gonna suggest.

So I guess the answer is "no". I know Atomic makes a mono 50 watt power amp--but it's not a rack unit. Seems like somebody should make one.

Yeah, the Peavey Classic 60 (not 60/60) a good solid no frill (features) tube power amp. I have one and it sounds good and is reliable. It's light and only about 7 inches deep BUT it's 3 rack spaces. I would love a 50 watt 2 space mono power amp with presence, depth and tube options (el34/kt88).

Jordon":2t9ehku3 said:
The Randall is definitely a good power amp, and it can be run mono. :confused:

Mono left and mono right. Same thing as running two cabinets off of a single head.

Mono “Channel Switching” mode allows you to run a single input into ch. 1 then simply route speaker cables from both Ch.1 & Ch. 2 outputs to separate cabinets to assign 6L6’s to one cab and EL34’s to another. Pair the Preamp tone, power tubes and preferred cabinet with each channel then switch back and forth between each cabinet for maximum versatility. “Stereo” mode simply activates both Ch.1 and Ch. 2 outputs at all times for continuous 6L6 and EL34 tone.

load up the same tubes and you would have 100 watt 2 space racked mono left and mono right.

if your input signal is not stereo, i dont believe the input jacks are wired stereo, so you would have a mono amplification anyway.

thats the only 2 space all tubed mono amplifier that i know of. (mono left mono right, not stereo L and R with a stereo L and R independent input)

Jason_86_951":cdn2qwn4 said:
Why the hell did Atomic built a NON-rack power amp to go with the Fractal RACK unit......... :confused: :doh: Seems like a no brainer.
Great point. I used a VHT 2-50-2 and it sounded great.

roadifier":1zw0wogi said:
marshall makes a 20/20 monobloc in a one space format

yeah but its EL84's though - different overdriven tone compared to 6L6 or El34 or E34L's

i guess for bedroom micing or such it would work great. i was just assuming the OP wanted 2 space monoblock ala classic 60-type power amplifier.

my bad. :)

to the OP - the classic 120/120 has an option to run mono-output with both sides ran together - so 200 watts of all tubed power into a single cabinet if you wanted. talk about some serious headroom :rock:

you could also wire your cabinet for stereo left stereo right, and go with any stereo model amplifier you pleased :thumbsup:

roadifier":2wwmx4hk said:
marshall makes a 20/20 monobloc in a one space format

This. :thumbsup:

Don't let the fact that it has EL84's fool you, this little power amp has some serious balls, especially with the "Deep" button engaged. Very cool power amp and extremely underrated. :rock:

The Marshall 20/20 is NOT a monoblock.
It`s two separate 20 watt amps, and both need a load, it`s not like the 9100/9200 and EL34 50/50 and 100/100, where you could/can just turn one side on.

The 2020 has one volume control, and one power button, so no way of using just one side there. You need a stereo cab, and to use both sides of the amp.

The Peavey Calssic 60 and Classic 120 are the only mono block poweramps that I know of. And as stated above, they're 3U units. If you can find one on eBay, they are killer poweramps.

I like that Brunetti Rockit. Has anyone here played that before? How does it sound? what's the price?

I use the Mesa SimulClass 2:90 It is dual mono so you could just use half the amp. It is a 2 space but heavy as hell. The deep voicing is flabby (if you choose to use it). It sounds alot better than the Randall. The Randall is very sterile and that may be good for some of you AxeFX guys if your not looking to color your tone to much. So far I have not found another power amp I would switch too from the Mesa. I have not played through the Freyette yet though.

6string40":3n3ntg1k said:
Carvin TS100? It's two channel, but I think you can run it bridged.
Yep, I was googling for pictures to say the same

TS1001.jpg

carv_ts100ins.jpg

Back