It's Really, REALLY hard to beat a (Well-Tuned and Maintained) Old Plexi

hellzington

I think one of the "holy shit" moments for me is how good a well-tuned old Plexi sounds. When you have everything dialed in, these things absolutely rip. @RedPlated helped me tune this one up (no mods, just optimal component values for the sound I was going for) and I still get chills every time I turn it on. To think I was ready to sell this thing before J tuned it up... mind blowing. I just want to give one last prop to J for helping me get this amp sounding so good. His modern, original amp line is absolutely killer and you should check it out but don't be afraid to send an old Marshall in to him for a tune up either.

Anyways, I'll be over here having chills listening to this over and over. Definitely one of the tones in my head! \m/

There they are, those magic mids. You know the best way to add that missing modern style sub-low end thump to such old Marshalls? Play it alongside a bass player playing a good bass rig!
It's really true. I didn't do any EQing or anything of this amp, it's just the raw sound, and it sits so perfectly and naturally in the mix. It stands out without overwhelming anything else. Killer.

It's really true. I didn't do any EQing or anything of this amp, it's just the raw sound, and it sits so perfectly and naturally in the mix. It stands out without overwhelming anything else. Killer.
I've owned a decent amount of amps and a well tuned stock marshall is the test that everything gets put against. The mids are in your face with a lot of excitement--but it still sits naturally in a mix really well. A lot of times the positive qualities of amps are at odds with different band frequencies but the marshall is perfect. I know they are not the most modern sound but my ear is basically tuned to consider that the "right" noise.

Absolutely rips, dude.

Side note: the silver color on that PRS looks fantastic.
Thanks man! It’s called platinum metallic. You can find it on early to mid 2000s PRS guitars. I personally prefer the standards. This is a 2006 Standard 22 that I had Lollar Imperial high winds put in. It weighs less than 7 pounds even with the trem!

I had a ‘69 and a ‘74 and I completely agree. They are the benchmark. I’m really looking forward to the Friedman Plex, hoping I can get that sound again but with modern reliability. My ‘69 blew the PT and several other components before i figured out I was getting a nasty voltage spike at my house.

chefs kiss.gif

Sounds good to me :yes:

Was the backing track also the Plexi?
Not modded but has the fat cap mod?
Everything at 10 huh?

Thanks for sharing

I had a ‘69 and a ‘74 and I completely agree. They are the benchmark. I’m really looking forward to the Friedman Plex, hoping I can get that sound again but with modern reliability. My ‘69 blew the PT and several other components before i figured out I was getting a nasty voltage spike at my house.
I'm also really looking forward to that amp. (I'm already on Sweetwater's list, haha.) I don't really want to gig this '70 for obvious reasons so would love to have the Plex as a more modern alternative. I expect it to sound very similar to this amp but I'm hoping there's some better jumpered tones since Dave is putting a bright cap on the Normal channel.

Back