Joe Satriani: “They’re gonna see someone who’s hell-bent on being the most respectful guitar player to the legacy of Eddie”

Play the Hang 'em High intro beat-perfect and I'll bet in his favor. Barring that, I hope he puts his woodshed where his mouth is.

Actually, playing live, Eddie was sloppy, much like Jimi. That's Eddie's weakness. No offense to EVH fans here.

Satriani taught Vai, who is leagues better than Eddie. Both Satriani abd Vai are perfectionists whether live or in the studio, neither have ever been sloppy. Satriani's style is just very simple, still, hard to believe that he'd struggle with mimicking Eddie's techniques. I guess I can be the same way, I can play and make up complex stuff but I am not so great at copying pre-made complex work.

When I saw the title, I thought it was gonna say he's talking something about akid who is claiming to be better than Eddie or something. Tim Henson has a big head and can't really ply live at all, so I thought for sure it would be about him 😜

“They’re gonna see someone who’s hell-bent on being the most respectful guitar player to the legacy of Eddie”
Joe Satriani issues update on his mission impossible – nailing Eddie Van Halen’s guitar parts.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertain...ar&cvid=579f1cd97695432fa6e8aa6ee42fd40b&ei=8

Hate to break it to Joe, but there are many guitarists that do just that. When he subbed for Ritchie Blackmore he just winged it, combining his style with some of Blackmore's. He did the same thing w/ the Ronnie Montrose tribute.
When it comes to VH, you have to recreate every nuance EVH played? If Eddie were here I'm sure he's be shaking his head. Play the more memorable shit and play the way you play.
Way to end your career. Being a parrot. asshole. I do agree he should have his bald head painted like Ed's #1 Strat.

Just read the article... Looks like it's not about skill but more about the pressure, which makes more sense. Eddie's Fandom is probably unlike anything Joe has seen before. Let's face it, even though Joe is a better over all guitarist than Eddie, "Eddie Van Halen" is a household name while Satriani is not - by a large margin.

I like Joe and think he is amazing but nobody is Ed and shouldn't even try IMO. Some guitarists have a swagger and a feel that can't be duplicated.

This is Sammy's fault in a lot of ways. They never did an appropriate VH ending with Ed, which is a shame and now that he is gone, they are trying to do this "best of" tour thing. Everyone knows that Joe is there because they are in another band together and can cover a lot of ground.

Wolfgang should organize an EVH tribute with Dave Grohl and have a shit ton of artists come out and each do a song for Ed. That would kick ass.

Hate to break it to Joe, but there are many guitarists that do just that. When he subbed for Ritchie Blackmore he just winged it, combining his style with some of Blackmore's. He did the same thing w/ the Ronnie Montrose tribute.
When it comes to VH, you have to recreate every nuance EVH played? If Eddie were here I'm sure he's be shaking his head. Play the more memorable shit and play the way you play.
Way to end your career. Being a parrot. asshole. I do agree he should have his bald head painted like Ed's #1 Strat.

This is exactly what I was talking about.

Is this a real thought for you, that Joe Satriani is an asshole because he wants to be respectful to EVH and he’s going to end his career over it?

I wonder if he realizes how foolish he sounds when he says weird shit like-

“I was literally in my home studio and there on the floor was an Eddie Van Halen MXR Phase 90, with the special Eddie paint job on it, and I said, ‘I have to use this!’”

“I’m busy creating workarounds. I have every intention of nailing everything, and when I can’t I'll wink to the audience and they’re gonna know that one’s just gonna slip by.”

Sammy has stated in interviews that Joe is there because they are friends. It's about the hang and riding long hours on a tour bus. I have no doubt that Joe will do the songs justice.

Wolfgang has also stated several times that he has no interests in playing Van Halen songs. He wants to do his own thing. We can argue until the end of time about who can mimmic EVH better than anyone else. The hard fact is that this is a celebration of Sammy Hagar's career and will include a lot of Sammy era Van Halen songs. If they come to Houston, I will be there.

i always thought satch was great and fun to watch when he wasn’t trying to sell his futuristic weird stuff. his tones on the surfing tour and the first g3 show were solid!

Actually, playing live, Eddie was sloppy, much like Jimi. That's Eddie's weakness. No offense to EVH fans here.

Satriani taught Vai, who is leagues better than Eddie. Both Satriani abd Vai are perfectionists whether live or in the studio, neither have ever been sloppy. Satriani's style is just very simple, still, hard to believe that he'd struggle with mimicking Eddie's techniques. I guess I can be the same way, I can play and make up complex stuff but I am not so great at copying pre-made complex work.

When I saw the title, I thought it was gonna say he's talking something about akid who is claiming to be better than Eddie or something. Tim Henson has a big head and can't really ply live at all, so I thought for sure it would be about him 😜
Totally disagree with your statement. Eddie's playing was raw and pure talent. He didn't care about reading music, learning every scale, etc. Vai and Satriani may be more technical players but neither can hold a candle to the volume of work Eddie has done and his popularity. Everyone was copying him and his playing style. The man just came out with killer riffs time after time. Most people couldn't name anything Vai or Satriani has done but pretty much everyone knows what Eddie has done. You don't hear many people trying to get Vai or Satchs sound, but people have been chasing Eddie's tone for years. Also, everything that he collaborated making was gold. The 5150 amps, Axis and Wolfgang guitars, etc. I don't see anyone making an impact on guitar like he did, and I don't think there will be anyone like him anytime soon.

Why not just hire Al Estrada instead? He seems to have every EVH aspect down cold. It would faster and easier for everyone
I have got to agree here 1,000%. It’s too bad that once suits in corner offices responsible for budgets get involved, they decide that they need a ‘name’ like Satriani to make a project like this profitable. In my world, Al Estrada just nails Eds swing and feel to a T. And Other players like MIke Himmel and Jim Gaustad would have been excellent choices as well. Hell Jacob Derapes would be great in this spot. But I understand corporate corner office decisions, too.

Back