JP2C or Mark VII?

anomaly

I've decided to save up for one of these amps, which would you go for and why? I'm thinking Mark VII, but i'm a bit concerned about some of these users that claim they don't cut live?? Which may be a problem if I ever get a band going again. Is that just user error or what? I'm also a bit concerned about the overly compressed nature of these amps lead channels. Are there any dynamics to be had? I've got a early Mark IVb for comparison, which I love to death and I feel with the way I set it it's got just the right amount of compression for me, which is fair bit but not overly so (especially in harmonics, pentode, simulclass mode), but these newer amps are more compressed than that apparently, especially the JP2C.

I have owned neither, but spent some time with the JP2C....That shred mode was absolutely wicked, I don't think I would want to give that feature up.

Reactions: rsm
While I haven't played them, I will say that if the Crunch mode on the VII is anything like on the small V:25, it will be more open and dynamic sounding than the typical Mesa Mark lead tone. Which is great in itself, don't get me wrong. I would've never sold my Mark IV RevA, if R2 was like the Crunch mode...
And most likely some tube rolling helps, as I read from the Mark V (big version), to throw a 12AT7 in some position.

I owned the JP2C a year. I also had a MK V about a year.
Currently own a MK VII. I will never part with this one. The variety of sounds is amazing. It sounds great right out of the gate. The base tonality doesn't even need the Graphic EQ.
The JP was boxy into a 4x12. I thought the Shred mode blew. Unusable w/ a Strat. A Treble Booster does the same thing.
As far as dynamics watch this video-

I own a JP2C and have only played the VII. I really like having dual eq's and the ability to set up both gain channel differently with the graphic eq's and shred mode for when I drag out a down tuned guitar on the JP2C. I think the VII sounds great as well with some cool features!

Reactions: rsm
I went through this a few months ago and decided on the Mk VII. I think you can’t go wrong with either but my deciding factors were this:

• Mk VII had the 2C mode and I did not think there was a difference I could hear in the million clips I watched
  • The Mk VII has the other modes so more options
  • Ultimately what made the decision is I was “watching” amps on Reverb and I got a crazy offer on a brand new Mk VII that was cheaper than any used JP2C listed anywhere. So, pulled the trigger on the Mk VII and have been completely happy with it.

I was facing the same decision late 2023; I rewatched the Anderton's interview with Petrucci where he talks about how he uses his gear.

The VII has more things than I need (don't want more than the IIC+ tones) and less of what I want and need (second EQ), the JP has more of everything I want and will use.

Then I found a new JP-2C rackmount head for 19% off, which also helped.

First day after getting it racked; the reverb tank was a PITA, those thin wires look weak.

Mesa-JP2C-Rack.JPG

Last edited:
I couldn't bond with the 2 JP2Cs I've had in both the sound and feel compared to my Mark IVs. There was something in the low end that I didn't like, and I felt that I needed to push the presence more than I'd like to sound good, both pushed or pulled, but then it became kinda fizzy. With the VII on the otherhand, it feels better and I can run the presence relatively low without the amp sounding like it's missing something. I still prefer the IV to the VII though. I'm talking about channel III btw. What I have to say about the JP2C is that in the mix it comes alive, as it cuts better than the others, and starts feeling better too, I know it doesn't makes sense. Still, I sold my JP2Cs.

I couldn't bond with the 2 JP2Cs I've had in both the sound and feel compared to my Mark IVs. There was something in the low end that I didn't like, and I felt that I needed to push the presence more than I'd like to sound good, both pushed or pulled, but then it became kinda fizzy. With the VII on the otherhand, it feels better and I can run the presence relatively low without the amp sounding like it's missing something. I still prefer the IV to the VII though. I'm talking about channel III btw. What I have to say about the JP2C is that in the mix it comes alive, as it cuts better than the others, and starts feeling better too, I know it doesn't makes sense. Still, I sold my JP2Cs.

Did you find that the mark iv's were a little more loose or soft on the attack and a little wider sounding then say the JP2C's when you had them? I found the JP2C to be a little more focused, I wouldn't call it boxy or compressed, almost like it was more perfect or produced sounding if that makes sense with a tighter feel to the attack. I like the presence pushed on the JP2C. I no longer own a mark iv but R3 channel was pretty damn wicked sounding and felt like I liked the mark iv over the vii but the JP2C just has more features making it a more usable amp across channels in my opinion.

The MkIV will run sonic circles around the VII.

The only thing the VII has going for it is that it's a little more organic than the more compressed V and the JP. It's actually pretty satisfying in this regard until you A/B it with an OG and realize it's not moving air.

If I were playing live I'd far prefer the JP over the VII even though the JP is a 2 trick pony. If I really wanted more tricks, I'd just stick with the V.

At the end of the day though we are splitting hairs. They are all still Mark circuits..

Personally I've settled on the (late) Mark IIB and the Mark IVB as my happy places.

I've heard the VII has problems cutting in a live band - it doesn't sit anywhere sonically. The JP2C doesnt have the same problem and although it is a little less refined on the top end, it actually supports a more aggressive voicing it was intended for which is fine.

Originally I was looking into a VII but they all seem to fall short on AB clips against IIC's vs the same AB of JP2Cs against IIC's. I'm splitting hairs here but I'd say JP2C only because an amp that is sonically voiced not to cut in a mix can't be fixed in a simple mod.

I have had both amps. I've had a couple of JP-2Cs since they were released. It is a great sounding amp! The 2 Eqs is a fantastic feature.
I had a nice rack mount VII but unfortunately after a couple of trips back and forth to Mesa, the issue was never resolved. The amp had some strange ghost notes on it. I just returned it and called it a day. While I liked the amp, I found more use having the 2 higher gain channels on the JP-2C more to how I like to work.

If Mesa/Gibson would finally remove the stupid reverb tank and add in the same Two-Notes reactive load that they have in the VII and Badlander series, I would definitely be in for getting another one but I doubt that will ever happen.

The MkIV will run sonic circles around the VII.

The only thing the VII has going for it is that it's a little more organic than the more compressed V and the JP. It's actually pretty satisfying in this regard until you A/B it with an OG and realize it's not moving air.

If I were playing live I'd far prefer the JP over the VII even though the JP is a 2 trick pony. If I really wanted more tricks, I'd just stick with the V.

At the end of the day though we are splitting hairs. They are all still Mark circuits..

Personally I've settled on the (late) Mark IIB and the Mark IVB as my happy places.
I grabbed an early MKIV recently in a combo version for a killer deal (footswitch doesn't work).

I stupidly sold my old MKIV many years ago, but plugging in to this new one, going through my '99 Recto cab, it was instant smiles and a reminder of how awesome that amp is. Big, tight, punchy and a great feel!

As it is absolutely a "keeper", I am going to send it to Mesa for a look over/service and will put it in a headshell. I got this at the same time as my Uber Ultra and right now, I am digging this little beast more.

Attachments

• 20240216_114811.jpg
    20240216_114811.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 14
I have a JP2C and its my favorite amp, i love having two EQ, i tried the mk vii but most of the modes i didnt like and never would of used, the JP2C gives me the tones i need, i owned a couple 90w mark 5 but didnt like them, also had a mkiv-a which i did like, i still have my mark 5-25 which is a cool little amp but out of all these amps the Jp is my favorite, i also have other amps but im trying to just talk about mark series amps.

Back