Just got a new cab......Replaced speakers with G12K100's

bmwm3cs

The G12K100's are really really good. I am really happy with them. Better than the Eminence in my opinion.

CIMG0351.jpg

CIMG0350.jpg

CIMG0352.jpg

If you've get the chance try to combine them with two V30. I did that with my new Diezel FL can it sound so f*cking good :rawk:

Jaymz, what do you think are the advantages on combining those two types of speakers when comparing them to a cab loaded with only G12K-100s?

The G12K100 alone, at least to me, seemed to sound a little bit (really only a little) sterile and were lacking some mids for smooth leads. The Vintage 30 adds those mids without having those annoying high mid ice picky thing going on. Both speakers combined just had that very powerful, balanced and natural sound with nice highs, tight bottom end and just the right amount of mids. The V30 cab in comparison had way to much mids for my taste and was lacking the nice highs the G12K100 adds. Especially with complex chords the V30 seemed a little muffled and you couldn't really tell every note apart. I'm very pleased with the combination.

All based on playing the cab with a VH4. The V30 might work better with the Herbert because the VH4 has more mids.

I just bought 4 of the G12K100s to replace the v30s but now I'm interested in an X pattern as well.

My question is:

How do you wire them up? The G12's are 8 ohm speakers and the V30s are 16 correct?

zzzsleepzzz":10mqv2j7 said:
I just bought 4 of the G12K100s to replace the v30s but now I'm interested in an X pattern as well.

My question is:

How do you wire them up? The G12's are 8 ohm speakers and the V30s are 16 correct?

G12K100s come in 8 ohm only. V30s come in both 16 and 8 ohm versions. Hopefully your V30s are 8 ohms, otherwise I would absolutely not mix different ohm speakers in the same cab.

It'll result in a strange ohm measurement and the 8 ohm speakers will get 2/3 of the power resulting in an unbalanced responce.

Back