Killer VH1 pickup shootout by Ossie Ahsen into a 1971 Marshall Superlead

I have the original vintage 1300 and 1400 Mighty Mites, the 1400 at 9k sounds more like what EVH might of used at some point, the 1300 is too dark and has no definition to my ears..no coincidence that he later went with a 9k from Duncan for the '78 model
I concur with your assessment Al...pretty much my findings as well. The 1400 Mighty Mite has that telltale hair but it less articulate than my model 78. The vintage Dimarzio Super Distortion seems to have the hair as well, but I had a SD in the 80's and it was so harsh and a squealmonster it wasn't enjoyable in any way to play IMHO.

Here's my take - early 80's SD SH-5 Custom.

The SD SH-5 Custom has provenance as shown in the Guitar Player mag advertisement from 1979 ("Custom (VAN HALEN)")

My guitars, IK Sunset Sound VST, Mike & Al rhythm

Well... I picked up two new Mighty Mites to try out because of Ossie's shootout... both have the hexhead poles like a Dimarzio Super Distortion. The 1300-1 which measures 15.56Kohms and a 1400 which measures 9.96Kohms installed in the guitar. I was running an 1980's Seymour Duncan Custom wound by MJ 14Kohms in one of my 83 Kramer Pacers.

I swapped out the Custom for the Mighty Mite 1400 9.96Kohm because I'm digging lower output pickups these days and after playing it today I have to say I think it may be one of the missing links to the VH1 and WACF aggressive crunchy tone, the MM 1400 has a single note hair/fuzz type of distortion to it that I only hear on VH1 and WACF the crunchy/fuzz hair artifacts on the fretted root notes of the ascending runs that Ed does as well as the immediate tight thuddiness on the E and A strings on the swing parts of On Fire main riff. While I love my model 78 it doesn't have the in your face single note ceramic magnet crunch/fuzz that the MM has, it is more inline with VHII PAF smoother/warmer tone IMHO which is awesome in it's own right. I probably won't be pulling my model 78 out of Frank for now because it does so many things well.

So for you EVH tone guys if you are curious about VH1 and WACF tone I highly recommend tryingthese Might Mites, they are Made in the USA still which is nice, they sound like Ossie's shootout for sure. I guess they have some oversize monster ceramic magnet and the guy the owns Mighty Mite started accurately reproducing the 1300 and 1400 Mighty Mites $79. buck a piece. Either which way I am very impressed with the 1400 for sure and I would imagine the 1300 has the same characteristics. If you like what you hear in Ossie's shootout they might be for you as well.
Hi
Can I ask you some question
Kind regards

Hi
Have you maybe experience with Super2 and MM 1400.Whats the different in tone bass mid treble.Which have more output.
Which have more hairy in tone.
Which is better for basswood guitar.
Regards
I have not played the Super 2. I have played vintage Dimarzio Super Distortions in the past and did not care for them at all. The Mighty Mite 1400 has a very Crunchy Hairy tone and attack to it almost with a fuzz like effect riding on the distorted notes( it almost harsh( but in a good way if you like that tone) but it still has some PAF attributes to it as I described and it should sound exactly like what you hear in the pickup shootout by Ossie. You either like that or you don't about it.

I have only installed this in a poplar bodied vintage Kramer but Poplar is a softer slightly warmer wood like Basswood so I would say it would sound just as good in Basswood as it does in my poplar body.

IMHO it comes down to what tones you are looking for..........if you are specifically are going for VH1 tones then the MM1400 should get you there. If you want a little softer warmer attack but still crunchy but not as fuzzy( As you hear in VH2) then the Seymour Duncan 78 model would be the better pickup.

I would have never considered the Mighty Mite for VH1 until I heard Ossie's pickup shootout, it really opened my ears and eyes!

I have not played the Super 2. I have played vintage Dimarzio Super Distortions in the past and did not care for them at all. The Mighty Mite 1400 has a very Crunchy Hairy tone and attack to it almost with a fuzz like effect riding on the distorted notes( it almost harsh( but in a good way if you like that tone) but it still has some PAF attributes to it as I described and it should sound exactly like what you hear in the pickup shootout by Ossie. You either like that or you don't about it.

I have only installed this in a poplar bodied vintage Kramer but Poplar is a softer slightly warmer wood like Basswood so I would say it would sound just as good in Basswood as it does in my poplar body.

IMHO it comes down to what tones you are looking for..........if you are specifically are going for VH1 tones then the MM1400 should get you there. If you want a little softer warmer attack but still crunchy but not as fuzzy( As you hear in VH2) then the Seymour Duncan 78 model would be the better pickup.

I would have never considered the Mighty Mite for VH1 until I heard Ossie's pickup shootout, it really opened my ears and eyes!
Apsolutly nice of You what to help me.
Where best place where I can buy MM 1400.Have some maybe in Europe.
Kind regards

Apsolutly nice of You what to help me.
Where best place where I can buy MM 1400.Have some maybe in Europe.
Kind regards
I just bought a vintage MM1400 from a guy in Denmark who shipped it here to the USA. I'm going to install it tomorrow and see what I think. If I don't like it, maybe it can return to Europe. :)

I just bought a vintage MM1400 from a guy in Denmark who shipped it here to the USA. I'm going to install it tomorrow and see what I think. If I don't like it, maybe it can return to Europe. :)
Nice.How much is it.How condition is have. Regard

I almost bought it at the end of July, but the seller didn't accept my offer 😅

I almost bought it at the end of July, but the seller didn't accept my offer 😅
Ok.Hey Please expalaine one thing.
I read that MM 1400 have PAF sound.
What is that sound.
What the different between the Dimarzio Super Distorzion.
Which is better than heavy metal
Dimarzio Super Distorzion or PAF.
Regards

Ok.Hey Please expalaine one thing.
I read that MM 1400 have PAF sound.
What is that sound.
What the different between the Dimarzio Super Distorzion.
Which is better than heavy metal
Dimarzio Super Distorzion or PAF.
Regards
I never got a MM1400 or a Dimarzio super distortion, so I can't help you 😕

I concur with your assessment Al...pretty much my findings as well. The 1400 Mighty Mite has that telltale hair but it less articulate than my model 78. The vintage Dimarzio Super Distortion seems to have the hair as well, but I had a SD in the 80's and it was so harsh and a squealmonster it wasn't enjoyable in any way to play IMHO.
Please your sugest How I can instal new MM1400.
Is it instal like other picks.
Do you have some video.

As for Seymour Duncan doing any rewinds for Edward it was after Van Halen 1 was recorded,it was recorded in 1977 and released in 1978 so the only after market pickups that were around in 1977 when they recorded Van Halen 1 would be Dimarzio and Mighty Mite and Gibson PAF pickups so I believe for Van Halen 1 was a Gibson PAF and the Ibanez Super 70 pickups which was in Edwards Ibanez Destroyer before he cut it up to and made it into the Shark guitar

Yes all the non-trem songs on Van Halen 1 were the Ibanez Destroyer probably the stock Ibanez Super 70 pickups and for the black and white franky strat was the Gibson PAF Edward took out of his 1961 Gibson ES335

Back