Kit?

V2a

Would any of you mofos be interested in a custom kit to build a Jose-ish* type amp? Could be ala cart, with something like:

base kit: complete chassis, 30-watt transformer set, smaller components, step-by-step instructions, layouts, schematic. ($750**)
new-production tubes (+$100)
pre-built effects loop (+$50)
head shell (+$225)

*only one gain control; MV after tone stack (although that might be re-configurable).
** prices are estimates only.

ABfj3SIl.jpg

HQiRu4Kl.jpg

5Au7NH7l.jpg

I’d want a 50W and 100W model with pentode/triode

I’d also want the pre and post tonestack master volume switchable on the amp like Vai’s.

Technically the 4th gain stage is a tube stage in the front which is what i would prefer - by-passable. Maybe offer a version with stock plexi values and a switchable 4th stage in front, or a diode clipping version on a tuned 3 stage topology. I know Jose offered both in his builds also

This kit has no remote switching. A 50W power transformer might be doable, but I haven't tried to fit one in this chassis. The PT is a custom toroidal unit by SumR / Primrose Audio. A 50W unit would have a larger diameter than the 18- and 30W units I've spec'd.

Stock controls:
- gain, bass, mid, treble, volume, body (aka Depth), and Presence
- switches include Era (lower/higher gain, but not clipping), bite (aka bright), punch, clip, FAT (on rear-panel).
- stock switching circuits could be reconfigured as owner sees fit. :)

I think I'd want Hi/Lo input jacks with Lo being Plexi mode. I have that on mine and I use Plexi mode way more than I thought I would.

Cool idea, it would be great if you could squeeze 50W in there.

SpiderWars":3nsozzrk said:
I think I'd want Hi/Lo input jacks with Lo being Plexi mode. I have that on mine and I use Plexi mode way more than I thought I would.

Cool idea, it would be great if you could squeeze 50W in there.

The previous-generation Caldera switched out the input gain stage akin to the Friedman Smallpox (before the SB hit the market), but I felt the "plexi" mode needed more balls. The stock Era-switch circuit has a lower-gain setting that I love. If you need it to be cleaner, my old switch circuit could be implemented.

I typically don't have different inputs for Hi and Lo. Even my "dual input" amp (Vibe) has just one gain stages that are bridged internally for parallel gain stages...

Gotcha. I just wanted more versatility than a single-channel Jose and that adds a whole second channel.

Back