KT 75 MC model questions

cragginshred77

I understand the KT 75's do not have the mids the el 34's are known for -agree? Is the voicing of the MC II enough mide the KT's would not cancel out or?

Thanks!

The mids are lower on the KTs, I have a KT-75 MTL and I prefer the el-34 at this point.
Do the KT 75 amps use Wizards 50w transformers or something specific for the double kt 88 layout? Are they priced liked the 50's? 100's?

OP: have you considered the w800 model? From what it seems you are after, I think you would love it. I have w800 and it kills: essentially take a GREAT sounding 2203/2204, give it way more tonal control, a bit more gain (with wider usable range) and with that killer, immediate Wizard feel in the attack. It also loves boosts!

Do the KT 75 amps use Wizards 50w transformers or something specific for the double kt 88 layout? Are they priced liked the 50's? 100's?

OP: have you considered the w800 model? From what it seems you are after, I think you would love it. I have w800 and it kills: essentially take a GREAT sounding 2203/2204, give it way more tonal control, a bit more gain (with wider usable range) and with that killer, immediate Wizard feel in the attack. It also loves boosts!

I think the transformers are the same for all KT models regardless of size. I’ll double check. I know it’s not that common for Rick to build them. It seems like he might do them every 2 months.

This one I got he was just finishing up on his bench.

This particular model shipped to me about 6300, so 3-400 more than your typical 100 watt el-34 head

Transformers on the KT amps are different than on the el34 amps.

The KT amps have bigger/tighter low-end and more extended highs. The el34 has more mids, but really, you wouldn't miss anything with the KT amp. I've never had a 75w amp though, speaking from the KT150 MC2. I currently own a 50w MC2 el34 and a 50w W800 el34. The W800 is more raw and agressive in the mids, but doesn't have as much gain. 50w uses the C transformers. 100w uses the V transformers

Transformers on the KT amps are different than on the el34 amps.

The KT amps have bigger/tighter low-end and more extended highs. The el34 has more mids, but really, you wouldn't miss anything with the KT amp. I've never had a 75w amp though, speaking from the KT150 MC2. I currently own a 50w MC2 el34 and a 50w W800 el34. The W800 is more raw and agressive in the mids, but doesn't have as much gain. 50w uses the C transformers. 100w uses the V transformers
Are the Transformers the one labeled ex: C-10? didnt check the other Transformer type things inside but I didnt see any labeling

Are the Transformers the one labeled ex: C-10? didnt check the other Transformer type things inside but I didnt see any labeling

C-10 I believe is the choke. The two bigger ones are the output and power transformers. They should have labels...like in the pic below...

fPz8g4r.jpg

I can confirm the Transformers are unique to each KT model. My transformers say WRD-P-KT75 on them

Had a KT150 MCII MK2 and It's got all the mid grind the E34L MCII has (Have owned four of those). The difference is as mhenson42 described; it has slightly extended lows/low mids. You can tweak that to a degree however by switching to 6550s or KT90s which curbs the low end/low mids a tad.

To me the KT150 regardless of tube had a slightly rounder attack on the low end. Still tight, but the roundness is a tad different than the E34L MCII.

I am in agreement. The W800 is a bad bitch. I think the only way to improve it would be to get the kt150 version only so that you could tear the fiber of the universe with your palm mutes.

Had a KT150 MCII MK2 and It's got all the mid grind the E34L MCII has (Have owned four of those). The difference is as mhenson42 described; it has slightly extended lows/low mids. You can tweak that to a degree however by switching to 6550s or KT90s which curbs the low end/low mids a tad.

To me the KT150 regardless of tube had a slightly rounder attack on the low end. Still tight, but the roundness is a tad different than the E34L MCII.
I was talking with mhenson42 earlier today, one thing I discovered that makes a huge difference with the KT model I have is it didn’t come with JJs preamps.

The el-34 MTL 100 I had, came with them but my KT-75 did not. I swapped out the tubes for JJs and I’d say it’s spot on with this the low end is bigger. Previously I was missing some aggression and mids that really made me like the MTL vs the MC II. I’m going to experiment some more. I’ve never had any experience with the KT-150 or other models outside the KT-75 MTL and El-34 MTL and MC II

I can confirm the Transformers are unique to each KT model. My transformers say WRD-P-KT75 on them
Awesome man! So from my understanding, there are different transformers for the KT's, C tranny for 50w, V tranny for 100w....and then a different one for 6l6 as well? Pretty cool! As transformers play a big role in tone/feel, it makes sense why ordering with different tubes can make the model a bit different.

I am in agreement. The W800 is a bad bitch. I think the only way to improve it would be to get the kt150 version only so that you could tear the fiber of the universe with your palm mutes.
A bad bitch is an apt description. That unadulterated upper mid kerrang coupled with the Wizard immediacy and punch is just vicious.

It is interesting how many posts I have read (on here, YouTube, etc) where guys always lament how this or that modded Marshall style amp just doesn't have the "rawness" or "upper mid attack".....how things are too smooth or lopped off. Well....with the w800, Rick didn't take any of that out. Use of the very effective contour, presence and tone stack switch can make it smooth/dark if you want....but it can get downright in your face abrasive as well! I can only imagine how brutal a kt150 version would be!

I will also say, that while new to the Wizard game, I absolutely love them! The feel, the tone, the punch....best in class IMO.

Quick Clip very basic just to show the differences between the MCII kt75 and the MC1 100 watt. Settings are the same, no boost on both amps and contour on full on the Mcii to match the MC1 "I like it better there". Gibson Les Paul with SD Slash pick ups going through a 4x12 greenback loaded Marshall cab just used a sm 57. So nothing crazy. Kt 75 is the first take then the MC1. You can hear the difference in the mids on when your ears adjust on the second take with the MC1.

Last edited:
Quick Clip very basic just to show the differences between the MCII kt75 and the MC1 100 watt. Settings are the same, no boost on both amps and contour on full on the Mcii to match the MC1 "I like it better there". Gibson Les Paul with SD Slash pick ups going through a 4x12 greenback loaded Marshall cab just used a sm 57. So nothing crazy. Kt 75 is the first take then the MC1. You can hear the difference in the mids on when your ears adjust on the second take with the MC1.

You got a new Wizard! Awesome man! And ya, I can definitely hear the subtle, but noticeable difference in your clip; broader and more balanced mids on the KT, a bit more upper midrange on the MC1.

You got a new Wizard! Awesome man! And ya, I can definitely hear the subtle, but noticeable difference in your clip; broader and more balanced mids on the KT, a bit more upper midrange on the MC1.
Cheers yeah i‘m pretty stocked with it. It’s funny if you listen to it in your car there’s a bit more of a difference you can hear but it’s just as you described. More balanced on the kt mids and more upper midrange in the MC1.
IMG_0020.jpeg

Very nice. I'm preferring the KT here. Sounds a bit fuller with a touch more gain. How does the Morris compare to either MC ?

Back