Kustom '72 Coupe clip using the direct out...

Meathead

I'm not using a microphone and it sounds surprisingly good. Added reverb on the computer - no eq added.
Using a Wolfgang Special guitar with the amp's gain set fairly high on the lead channel, backing off the guitar's volume for semi-clean.

Sounds pretty darn good for a line out with built in amp simulation. I think I could probably gig with this guy without a mic, I'm gonna try it at least. ;)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_music.cfm?bandID=475550

Randy Van Sykes":3evflgl5 said:
I'm not using a microphone and it sounds surprisingly good. Added reverb on the computer - no eq added.
Using a Wolfgang Special guitar with the amp's gain set fairly high on the lead channel, backing off the guitar's volume for semi-clean.

Sounds pretty darn good for a line out with built in amp simulation. I think I could probably gig with this guy without a mic, I'm gonna try it at least. ;)

I think that you could most definitely gig with that sound and without a Mic. Ive heard amazing rigs killed because the sound guy decided to duct tape a mic to the top of the amp and dangle it across a speaker :D This is the method used for most of the gig ive played over the summer and I usually fix it when they aren't looking :D

Gainfreak":1bzf7i2d said:
Randy Van Sykes":1bzf7i2d said:

I think that you could most definitely gig with that sound and without a Mic. Ive heard amazing rigs killed because the sound guy decided to duct tape a mic to the top of the amp and dangle it across a speaker :D This is the method used for most of the gig ive played over the summer and I usually fix it when they aren't looking :D

Oh I have seen that. :doh:
No one has done that to me...yet. :LOL: :LOL:

Funny how much we sweat the little things at home, but at the gig 'decent' cuts it just fine. Sooo much is out of our control anyways concerning the sound that the audience hears, so just play and have fun. ;)

BTW Ralph...a good way to remedy a soundman like that is to have your own Sennheiser e906 mic on hand....and replace his draped mic with that. They sound great draped over the cab.

Randy Van Sykes":1urmonmr said:
Gainfreak":1urmonmr said:
Randy Van Sykes":1urmonmr said:

Funny how much we sweat the little things at home, but at the gig 'decent' cuts it just fine. Sooo much is out of our control anyways concerning the sound that the audience hears, so just play and have fun. ;)

BTW Ralph...a good way to remedy a soundman like that is to have your own Sennheiser e906 mic on hand....and replace his draped mic with that. They sound great draped over the cab.

Funny you should mention that becuase at my Last gig I played the soundguy used a mic that looked like th e906 and he hooked it up exactly how I described and it sounded killer. At The other gigs.........they used a sure sm57 like that and I was like NOT GONNA HAPPEN :hys:

I agree with you about stressing/swaeting about a rig. these days I'm all about comfort. in other words as long as I am comfortable with what Im playing, I don't stress out to much about what's going on. It took me a long time to learn that :rock:

Sounds close enough for me! These direct outs are getting better and better. I like the idea of just going straight to the board with that sound. That's solid for sure. You are also correct in that for most of our uses where there is no dedicated sound guy and varying equipment from gig to gig, so much is out of your hands that just playing and having decent tone is more than enough. I've seen so many floor modelers in use in bars for that reason alone it seems. Nobody notices as long as it sounds right. Only gear snobs like us might say " he's using a telecaster to play VH or a strat to play G n R! what is this guy doing? HACK!"

How about a higher gain clip?

Kapo_Polenton":39lbj0sl said:

Sounds close enough for me! These direct outs are getting better and better. I like the idea of just going straight to the board with that sound. That's solid for sure. You are also correct in that for most of our uses where there is no dedicated sound guy and varying equipment from gig to gig, so much is out of your hands that just playing and having decent tone is more than enough. I've seen so many floor modelers in use in bars for that reason alone it seems. Nobody notices as long as it sounds right. Only gear snobs like us might say " he's using a telecaster to play VH or a strat to play G n R! what is this guy doing? HACK!"

How about a higher gain clip?
:LOL: :LOL:

I've never been one of those musician 'arm-crossers" that looks for flaws in other players. When I see them watching it makes me laugh and I start goofing off (playing solos wrong, using too much gain on cleaner songs, etc...) just to upset them more. :D

I'll try something heavier soon. I'd like to hear direct/miked at the same time.

Digital Jams":1oxqvmra said:
That sounds great for direct out.
Agreed...I read that the direct out sounded really good before I tried it and it sure does. More tube amps should have this type of circuit.
Combined with a mic I think this would sound killer.

Gainfreak":28zrsnz3 said:
Randy Van Sykes":28zrsnz3 said:
Gainfreak":28zrsnz3 said:
Randy Van Sykes":28zrsnz3 said:

Funny you should mention that becuase at my Last gig I played the soundguy used a mic that looked like th e906 and he hooked it up exactly how I described and it sounded killer. At The other gigs.........they used a sure sm57 like that and I was like NOT GONNA HAPPEN :hys:

I agree with you about stressing/swaeting about a rig. these days I'm all about comfort. in other words as long as I am comfortable with what Im playing, I don't stress out to much about what's going on. It took me a long time to learn that :rock:
Brother, that's not just: don't stress about tone, gear, gigs...I'm always trying not to stress about life! The kids won't listen to me, they won't get ready for bed...AAAARGGGHH! :D

Back