Larry DINO JM802 Video

I have never heard an ENGL that is right for me. A lot of bands that I've seen that use ENGL amps sound like mush.
I have heard both good and 'bad' when it comes to Engl.
There's a difference between old Savage, Blackmore, Steve Morse sig, Artist Edition, Inferno and Retro on one side, and Powerball, Fireball, Smolski sig on the other side, roughly speaking.
The first group has more rawness going on. The 2nd group, to me, sounds more artificial, sterile even.
My Invader & Ironball sits in between and so did the SE EL34 and Savage Special Editions.

I have heard both good and 'bad' when it comes to Engl.
There's a difference between old Savage, Blackmore, Steve Morse sig, Artist Edition, Inferno and Retro on one side, and Powerball, Fireball, Smolski sig on the other side, roughly speaking.
The first group has more rawness going on. The 2nd group, to me, sounds more artificial, sterile even.
My Invader & Ironball sits in between and so did the SE EL34 and Savage Special Editions.
I bought a Fireball based on the clips that I heard. I was super stoked to get it. It sounded pretty good until rehearsal and there was nothing I could do with it to keep it from getting squashed. Almost like it had no mids even tho it did. I saw Skeletal Remains 2 years ago and they are a great band but from the back of the crowd you couldn’t hear the guitars at all, which is a shame because they are great guitarists. I’ve always wanted to try the SE EL34

I'm not knocking the clips you have posted those were good too... but hearing another Larry with the same characteristics shows there is method to Larry's madness.

I would almost liken what I hear in this clip to kind of what I hear in Mesa IIC+ tones in a way, kind of what I hear on the Black album and some Dream Theater with that thick saturated gain structure but the Larry has just enough Marshall in there but I would say in a more modern way.

It is a great sounding amp.... Is it 6,000 to 10,000 bucks worth.... beauty is in the eye of the beholder.......................................................:p:yes:
I just now read this. I had no idea that his amps cost that much. Other than John Schaffer, how many people are playing Larry’s? I bet Eddy could play through any other well built/ modded amp and sound just as good.

I just now read this. I had no idea that his amps cost that much. Other than John Schaffer, how many people are playing Larry’s? I bet Eddy could play through any other well built/ modded amp and sound just as good.
I don't think the 'who else is playing a Larry' thing holds water. Why? Because all the great players, aren't necessarily gear heads like we are. And, because they are great players they can make ANYTHING sound really, really good. One example is Paul Glbert. Great, iconic player (IMO) and he has played Vintage Moderns forever, maybe JVMs now? Nothing wrong with those amps, but I'd pick about 15 or 20 over either choice. But he makes them sound incredible because he's Paul Gilbert. Would he sound better with a nice Vintage Superlead, Larry or C+? Of course he would! But he can sound great on nearly anything and doesn't put a lot of weight into sounding just a bit better with this or that amp. He just grabs stuff that works well enough for him.

I don't think the 'who else is playing a Larry' thing holds water. Why? Because all the great players, aren't necessarily gear heads like we are. And, because they are great players they can make ANYTHING sound really, really good. One example is Paul Glbert. Great, iconic player (IMO) and he has played Vintage Moderns forever, maybe JVMs now? Nothing wrong with those amps, but I'd pick about 15 or 20 over either choice. But he makes them sound incredible because he's Paul Gilbert. Would he sound better with a nice Vintage Superlead, Larry or C+? Of course he would! But he can sound great on nearly anything and doesn't put a lot of weight into sounding just a bit better with this or that amp. He just grabs stuff that works well enough for him.
So we agree that Eddy can make any amp sound great?

Absolutely, I agree, Eddy can make anything sound good, but they all sound ‘different’.

EVH sounded good through any rig but he definitely sounded WAY different using his original Marshall compared to his 5150 amps. He squeezed the best out of each, but the ‘tone’ was not even close.

If it can help you, to finally reach your peace of mind - yes he can.
But keep in mind, that there are different levels of 'great'
The attribute 'great' starts at a certain level, but is unlimited upstairs 😉
I am completely at peace. I simply stated my opinion and got somewhat flamed for it.

So we agree that Eddy can make any amp sound great?
Any good to great player will make most amps sound their best. But, they will sound incredible through my 72 Tremolo, or through a Larry. While if they played through a TSL they would sound good….but not as good as a top tier amp would make them sound.
Lots of guys use DSLs on the road….and sound great. But if they took their favorite amp with instead, they’d sound even better.

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE Eddy. He is a god on guitar and he not only had some of the best tones in Rock, he even invented that tone to a large degree. He is one of my heroes and always will be. Having said that, to my taste Eddy had some bad tone with some of his newer amps/recordings. His playing was always on his own level and therefore it was still great.

That doesn't take away anything from: a great amp, doesn't make a bad player good, nor does a bad amp destroy a great player.

But back to o-topic: that Larry Marshall in the clip sounds amazing. Very different from a current Dino for example (to my ears), but i love it (both)! Thanks Eddy for sharing!

Speaking of Paul Gilbert, I've been really loving his latest tones through a pair of those little Marshall JTM-1 combos

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE Eddy. He is a god on guitar and he not only had some of the best tones in Rock, he even invented that tone to a large degree. He is one of my heroes and always will be. Having said that, to my taste Eddy had some bad tone with some of his newer amps/recordings. His playing was always on his own level and therefore it was still great.

That doesn't take away anything from: a great amp, doesn't make a bad player good, nor does a bad amp destroy a great player.

But back to o-topic: that Larry Marshall in the clip sounds amazing. Very different from a current Dino for example (to my ears), but i love it (both)! Thanks Eddy for sharing!
What do you hear different between this clip and a current Dino?

Any good to great player will make most amps sound their best. But, they will sound incredible through my 72 Tremolo, or through a Larry. While if they played through a TSL they would sound good….but not as good as a top tier amp would make them sound.
Lots of guys use DSLs on the road….and sound great. But if they took their favorite amp with instead, they’d sound even better.
I was going to mention the DSL. Bonamassa and Doug Rappoport have both been known to use them live.

What do you hear different between this clip and a current Dino?

To my ears, that Marshall sounds a more Marshally than the Dino (well sounds obvious now that I write it), while the current Dino has a strong own voice. This one has more of that upper mid gain of a Marshall. The Dino has more harmonic overtones, a bit less upper mid bite and a larger grained distortion. But it's hard to explain, at least for me. (and all comparing the britisch Dino channel to the clip; the Dino has 4 channels of course, but I find the other channels even more different).

Esp. the British channel is a versatility monster therefore it is hard to compare anyhow. If you want, you can dial it in to become a super harmonic rich blues channel with a Strat with little rawness reminding more of an Dumble than a 2204 . At the same time it goes to Iced Earth tone just with different settings. (and all the stuff in between).

Still both have some of Larrys trademarks I'd say. Huge clarity in the tone, extreme tone separation, a certain kind of tightness and speed and a kind of organic tone no matter how much gain you use. I guess that is what Larry hears or wants to achieve (but of course, just my perception)

But then, I have not experienced that amp from the video in person, but comment on a YT video. Also I don't know how the Dino would sound with that guitar, cab and player. Obviously very limited comparison. Im sure Larry can give a better explanation than me.

Back