Lee Jackson DVDs

nmarevic

I'm very interested into Lee Jackson's Marshall Amplifier Modification Volume One DVD but it's also not very cheap so are there any people from forum who have DVD? Is it worth that money?

It's not bad, but there are better things to spend your money on if you want to learn how to repair/modify amps IMO. Lee's DVD isn't bad, but there's a lot of parts in the DVD which are left completely unexplained, which can make it very confusing for anyone who is a beginner at amp work!

MrDan666":ud2wrdq5 said:
It's not bad, but there are better things to spend your money on if you want to learn how to repair/modify amps IMO. Lee's DVD isn't bad, but there's a lot of parts in the DVD which are left completely unexplained, which can make it very confusing for anyone who is a beginner at amp work!

+1 to this. Both of us speak from experience.

I have some experience with tube amps but I need some stuff to learn how to do mods by myself - meaning designing my mods. Almost everyone with soldering iron can copy mod from the net but when problem occurs..... :D

MrDan666":2qqgxdlx said:

What are these better things you speak of??? I honestly had considered buying the Lee Jackson stuff but for the price I would need to know that its worth it. I would certainly love have some solid resorcue material to help train my self up. It is a personal goal of mine to get either a JMP, JCM or a kit amp (Think Metro) and build it up and mod it. Problem is while I am sure I could follow the manual and put the amp together I would really know how to mod it to acehieve the tone I might want. If there is any resource material out there there that is focused on this I would love to hear about it.

Lee's videos don't really teach you anything. They just show you where to install components to do one of the mods he did back in the 80s.

The metro amp forum is full of resources and different mods and it is free. LJ is only going to teach you how to do LJ mods.

Code001":39j61kl8 said:
Lee's videos don't really teach you anything. They just show you where to install components to do one of the mods he did back in the 80s.

Exactly! All it does is show you where to solder the parts and there is zero theory or explanations of anything in the DVD.

For theory and info on this stuff, check out the Kevin O Connor 'The Ultimate Tone' series of books. Also there's a good one by Merlin Blencowe which has some really useful info and a whole bunch of theory too!

Also i forgot to mention, the MetroAmp forum has some good info too, just be careful about some of the theory and info you read. I have seen situations in some threads where guys have given out bogus info and the original poster ends up blowing up his amp because of it.

Larry and the other mods over there do their best to chime in and give out very good info, so stick to the threads that they post in and always ask those guys if you're not 110% sure about something.

Any more DVDs or books? I'm interested into modifications.
I'm also planning to buy Tube Amp Talk for the Guitarist and Tech and A Desktop Reference to Hip Vintage Guitar Amps from Gerald Weber. After watching his DVD which is awesome, these books must be also nice (have deal to buy them both for ~$50).

Back