Les Pauls : 50's or 60's neck ?

Les Pauls : 50's or 60's neck ?

• 60's slim taper neck

Votes: 43 54.4%
  • 50's fat neck

Votes: 36 45.6%

• Total voters
I never liked my Les Paul very much (60's neck) then I picked up an R7 with a 50's neck. It's like night and day for me... I wish I had a fat neck guitar twenty something years ago.

I have very small hands but still prefer 50's neck. The R9 size is just about perfect. I have U shape big baseball bats in Strats and Tele's but I'd rather have a .880 to .900 neck (1st fret) in Gibson and a .840-880 (1st fret) neck in a Fender.
The 60's neck is probably the smallest neck I'm comfortable with, barely comfortable...

60's neck is fast for a Les Paul but it's not like it's a Wizard or anything....suggesting it's a wafer sized super shredder is a bit off the mark IMO :D . 60's neck for me!

peckhart":1v3lszi2 said:
50s
I don't have very big hands, but for some reason the bigger necks work better for me.
50's for me as well. Got into thicker necks when I got my G&L ASAT. Surprisingly comfortable for a guy like me who loves the Jackson RR neck profile.

For me it doesn't matter if guitar has been set up well. :) I only own 3 Gibsons, namely '11 Flying V, '17 Explorer T and '09 LP Custom, and they all play well. One of the nicest LPs I have played was a darkback '57 VOS Goldtop and it had a huge neck but was easy as hell to play due to good setup. I wish I had bought it but did not like goldtops at that time. :doh:

Smaller hands here but I much prefer the 50's profile. Not that I don't like thin necks (started on an RG770DX) but the "D" shape leaves me wanting. Not that I'm going to sell my Limited Edition Manhattan Midnight any time soon...

Back