lighter tuners for neck heavy guitar?

dstroud

got a guitar with very slight neck dive I’d like to make a bit more balanced. any suggestions for lighter tuners?? tia!!

What guitar and tuning machines are you using? Some may require drilling, and short of gotoh carbon fiber I don't think you'll find many that will be much lighter than simply removing the gear cover off your existing ones. Or swapping the buttons for plastic/wood. They're out there, but you're probably looking at grams of total weight savings for $$$. Kluson prestige maybe for 3+3 and Hipshot open gear for inline might be the less expensive variants available. Perhaps someone knows other sets off the top of their head, though.

I find them to be negligible on electric guitars. Easiest way to find out is to take off your current tuners and see if it fixes your balance issue. If it barely does anything, then you know for sure lighter tuners won't do anything. Moving the strap button like JackBootedThug mentioned is usually the better option.

Don't even need to take off the tuners. Just take off the knobs and its likely a bigger difference than a different set of tuners would make.

I like swapping the tuner buttons/knobs on my guitars for either ivory-looking plastic, pearloid or just plain black acrylic. It's generally a cheap mod, and it looks unique without looking tacky. Helps reduce the weight of heavy tuners like Grover or Schaller like 30-40%.

thanks guys!! I didnt want to move the strap placement, but I did take the buttons off, that made a real difference!! So I ordered some plastic buttons and I got some little adhesive weights for the control cavity, between those things I should be good - thanks so much!!

Grover mini tuners. I got them on my LTD Viper, but it's still a bit neck heavy, most SG style guitars are like that. Might work for you though. A better idea is to change the position of the strap peg.

Back