Live Backup Amp: Quilter or What Else... Small Footprint...

Junk Yard Dog

Looking for a cheaper, but effective and simple backup. Was looking at Quilters, which I could just have a hard rock pedal like the BE-OD or something like that. OR....

An EVH 5153 50W, which I had before, but I didn't care for it over my splawn. I want something simple and maybe without having to carry a second tube head.

GO...

I always have a Tech 21 RK5 on my board that I use for delay.
I take a Crate Powerblock to gigs.

Works great as backup. Cool rock tones.

I'm going to look at a Diavlo 45 and again at the 5153 50w. ...I'm not convinced on Quilters and I don't have a bunch of pedals for my sound, but I'm hoping to get more feedback on the Quilters vs RD45 or 5153-50w.

Cheers!

Maybe a Katana head? That's actually the same price as a BE-OD + a Micro Block but has more wattage and tonal options.

Bluguitar AMP1, 2 lbs 4 channels 100 watts killer. Has a russian military tube in it mixed with solid state. Fits on pedalboard. Really good amp and sounds just like an all tube rig

I used to work for a place that's a Quilter dealer and have played every amp in the line. They're pretty cool. My main amp is a Splawn Quick Rod, and I could gig with an Overdrive 200. They're loud, clean and take pedals well. The OD200's dirt channel is pretty cool too if you hit it with an overdrive.

Hotone. Great sounding micro-amp, even has an fx loop. Sounds really good with my BE-OD, better than most digital tones. Great feel. They run about $100, I bought mine through GC used site for $50 like new in box.

Nitrobattery":xyinkxtl said:
I used to work for a place that's a Quilter dealer and have played every amp in the line. They're pretty cool. My main amp is a Splawn Quick Rod, and I could gig with an Overdrive 200. They're loud, clean and take pedals well. The OD200's dirt channel is pretty cool too if you hit it with an overdrive.
This right here. Getting ready to FINALLY get my OD200 vids up on the channel.

It's another tube head, but I leave my Egnater Rebel 30 in my car as a backup to my Marshall. It's a footswitchable 2 channel head and for $185 used it actually sounds good. I have been tempted to gig with it as my main amp because it's so light and flexible.

JerEvil":3byypopg said:
Nitrobattery":3byypopg said:

OK, cool. I think I'd like to go with a good, cheaper option instead of carrying around another tube head, let alone pay for a good mini like the 5153.

I would want something that can really get close to a 50w Splawn or EVH 5153, but cost less and have a smaller foot print. I play in cover bands, so it mostly likely be mic'd.

Would the Quilter plus a badass pedal get me there?

Quilter Pro Block 200 is a great amp. Definitely not the cheapest however.
FX Loop, built-in Verb, Hi-Cut, Limiter, Gain Control, and tons of clean headroom.
I have used this with pedals (BE-OD and others) and with a Fractal AX8, both with great results.
Easy to travel with as well.

Always has been reliable and has 2 outputs, and has enough to power 2 4X12’s.
I will recommend this one.
Best of luck.

Quilter 101. Great pedal platform. It's been my backup for the last couple years but lately I've been using it at certain gigs through a Bogner 2x12 and it hangs with the band just fine.

Quilter 45 is what I am looking at. Same price as the EHX Magnum 44 and has more features. Pairing it with a Marvel Drive and a few others on a Nano board as a backup. The Quilter will be last in the chain and I will be able to swap it out with a Digitech Cabdryvr so I can either go direct, or through a cab.

The Quilter you could almost use on it's own if you had to. Sounds OK. The EHX...not so much.

For small and compact on a pedalboard I'm going for the Quilter.

Junk Yard Dog":3ulmhnbp said:
JerEvil":3ulmhnbp said:
Nitrobattery":3ulmhnbp said:

OK, cool. I think I'd like to go with a good, cheaper option instead of carrying around another tube head, let alone pay for a good mini like the 5153.

I would want something that can really get close to a 50w Splawn or EVH 5153, but cost less and have a smaller foot print. I play in cover bands, so it mostly likely be mic'd.

Would the Quilter plus a badass pedal get me there?

I think so. There are pages and pages of discussion on The Gear Page about Quilter amps, and I think people have some pretty bizarre expectations sometimes. It's weird to hear people bash them when they're comparing them to a $3,500 tube amp. I mean, I have pedals on my pedalboard that cost more than the compact Quilter heads.

Do Quilters sound like boutique tube amps? No. Do they sound awesome for their price point? Absolutely. They're a killer way to have solid, reliable tone in a compact package. I especially like the Aviator head, the 101 Mini Reverb and the OD200. The more traditional EQ controls really help you dial things in...especially if you're using it as a pedal platform.

At the end of the day, really, the average person in the audience isn't going to be able to tell the difference between a Peavey ValveKing and a Friedman BE-100. We chase gear and tones for us. When it sounds good to our ears, and responds to our hands the way that we want it to...we play better. Simple as that. For me, a good amp has to do 'the thing'. Where I plug in, it responds to what I'm doing...and I end up smiling. I've always liked the clean tones of the Quilter stuff, but the dirty sounds have always been lacking for my tastes. The OD200 though, it does 'the thing' for me. Does it sound as good as the Splawn? Of course not. But it can get really close at 1/4 of the price and is a ton of fun to play through.

billboogie":2yz65ww8 said:
Quilter 101. Great pedal platform. It's been my backup for the last couple years but lately I've been using it at certain gigs through a Bogner 2x12 and it hangs with the band just fine.
Yeah I have a demo on my channel of the 101 and BE-OD. People seem to like it... the 101 can be had under $300 on Reverb. I am a BIG Quilter fan. Best Solid State amps I have used.

Back