Looking for advice on contest.

• Thread starter Deleted member 38657
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38657

On my latest guitar contest I posted a bonus contest to win a gift card to Reverb, but one of the two members didn't enter and the other seemed to have missed out reading the rules as the contests are open only to the US, Canada, Mexico, UK, EU, and Australia. The person who made the sole entry isn't on the list of places I can do business with, so I'm feeling stuck what to do. I've already bought a number of Reverb cards for these contests, and wasn't really looking to expand into other entities.

Reverb Gift Cards are for USD only no matter the country, but I feel pretty positive they couldn't even get an account going that many would ship to. I 100% have no problem getting them the gift card, but it will more than likely be useless to them anyway and I don't want to waste it. I was thinking an Amazon GC, but they don't ship to their country, and I can't find anyone who does including Thomann to try and help with something. And I've already bought the Reverb cards.

I'm at a loss. I'm not trying to cause issues, but this is why I made the rules in the way I did and emphasized to read them because of complications exactly like this. What do y'all feel is the correct path forward? If you vote follow the rules, then I will default send it to the runner up who opted out of entering or a member they choose as long as that member can redeem a reverb gc and are part of the territory list as well as fit contest participant rules. Otherwise if you can think of another way to help, let me know. I'm not trying to upset anyone. Trying to help the community and pay it forward, but not cause myself complications in the process.

The rules of the contests are found here:
https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/free-pedal-winner-announced.265300/post-3128125 I did update them to clarify exactly, but it was still the same in slightly different wording. :bash:

Hopefully this doesn't sound too assholeish, especially since you're already being so generous with these giveaways. It would be ideal if you could send stuff to any part of the world you wanted. Unfortunately there's places that you just can't do anything with so you have to set limitations. And it would also be unfortunate if you did try to send something and it never made it or was useless to them.

It sounds like you've done everything you could to compensate which was more than generous, but I suggest to stick to the rules. 1. You set the rules for a specific reason; to not run into this kind of issue. It's not your fault someone didn't read or abide by them. It's unfortunate, but that's on them. And 2. Once you make an exception to the rules for one; especially a public one, then you're opening a can of worms. You'll have others complain.... "well you made an exception for him, why not me?" Then down that rabbit hole you go.

As for what to do with the current gift card situation I have a couple of suggestions:
1. Since the one person declined, give it to the next person in line.
2. Use it as a runner up prize in another contest.
3. Have a mini contest for the gift card. Something simple like first one to guess your favorite color gets it.
4. Give it to @PLX but make him wait until Cinco de Mayo to get it. LOL!

Thanks for everyone's input. Apologies in advance if the outcome of this makes me come off like the bad gal, but in one of the previous contests after conferring with MM the finalists to choose the winner from were selected for following the rules despite other excellent entries. I feel to stick to the rules is the fairest and simplest solution. Outside of that If I will try this once, but if I can't get a 100% confirmation of the ability to directly purchase and have shipped to the member from reverb, I think I will take the main contest winner's @MadAsAHatter advice and send it to the next in line which would be @PLX for most "overt votes" in the contest as anyone who received a vote below this threshold only got one.

I have really tried my best to bend over backwards in finding a solution to getting the member a GC that they can use, but I fear there is none as their country isn't on the list of any US based shipping company or even paypal, amazon, thomann, no one. Please don't hate if it doesn't end favorably to the original selected member. I tried, and I'm not going to send anything to anyone's "US Representative," as they weren't participants.

Do want you want it’s all good. But if you get bored of an 8 string I’m here lol
Perhaps one may end up in a future contest... I was thinking about it, tbh. Trying to figure out a path for that one as I'm not sure if it would be popular enough to proceed with, and I'm still on the fence about calling any of them redundant enough to let go of just yet. Change my mind :ROFLMAO:

Update: The winner was able to provide a US based address so I sent them the GC, but please be forewarned I cannot do this again. I love everyone's participation in helping me move gear, but rules are rules no matter, here out. Sorry @PLX though you're likely to win better anyway in the future given your entries so far. ❤️ Sorry for the drama, people. Thanks for your advice!

giphy.gif

Already settled but agree; rules are rules for a reason.

No reason to feel bad if someone didn’t read and entered anyway.

Not your fault, therefore not your problem.

Keep doing you, these are fun.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too assholeish, especially since you're already being so generous with these giveaways. It would be ideal if you could send stuff to any part of the world you wanted. Unfortunately there's places that you just can't do anything with so you have to set limitations. And it would also be unfortunate if you did try to send something and it never made it or was useless to them.

It sounds like you've done everything you could to compensate which was more than generous, but I suggest to stick to the rules. 1. You set the rules for a specific reason; to not run into this kind of issue. It's not your fault someone didn't read or abide by them. It's unfortunate, but that's on them. And 2. Once you make an exception to the rules for one; especially a public one, then you're opening a can of worms. You'll have others complain.... "well you made an exception for him, why not me?" Then down that rabbit hole you go.

As for what to do with the current gift card situation I have a couple of suggestions:
1. Since the one person declined, give it to the next person in line.
2. Use it as a runner up prize in another contest.
3. Have a mini contest for the gift card. Something simple like first one to guess your favorite color gets it.
4. Give it to @PLX but make him wait until Cinco de Mayo to get it. LOL!
This is sound advice.
Good luck gurl.
Maybe the winner has a friend in one of the participating countries and they could buy an item and ship it to them?
Otherwise, next in line.

Back