Marshall Valvestate 8100 vs 8200 Bi-Chrous

easstudios

I was sort of under the impression these were the same amps, with the Bi-Chorus having a stereo power amp, 2 fx loops, and the chorus circuits.

I currently have an 8100, 8200 and 8080 combo here in my studio. The 8200 sounds a bit bassier/warmer over all and a bit less aggressive. You’d probably want a boost pedal in front of it to get it tight enough for metal, where the 8100 can do it without it IMO. 8200 is WAY heavier, power transformer looks much bigger. The chassis is fixed to the cab with more screws in the top, as well as ones on the side for extra support.

Seems that Meshuggah generally used 8200’s. I think Chuck Schuldiner is more associated with the 8100, but there’s some mentions online that he used the 8200 as well. Early In Flames is 8100?

I can fudge my way through a valve amp schematic but solid state stuff goes over my head.

Is anyone able to have a quick nose over the bi chorus valvestates and see if/how the main preamp differs to the OG circuits?

People often say the arrangement of the gain stages is very similar to the JMP-1 preamps too, and it’s only really the eq circuit that’s different. Anyone able to elaborate on that in more detail?

Last edited:
I doubt most here will have experience with the Bi Curious one. Then again, you never know.

can definitely vouch for the 8080 combos sounding legit and they still appear for sale for nothing. Dont have to feel guilty about hacking up those combos either.

That Static X tone (8100 or not) totally sums up what’s cool about these solid state amps, especially with clangy distorted bass backing it up. There’s a certain speed to the attack that valve amps are always slower with. Palm mutes and fast riffs really pop in a distinct way that just works for metal.

The Death contour sound is cool, but those amps can do way more “normal” tones than just that

The 8200 and 8280 amps are the same. The input stage(s) is MOSFET driven. There is a 5v6 diode before the 12ax7.

The 8080 and 8100 amps are the same. The input stage is JFET OP amp driven. There is a pair of red 3mm LEDs before the 12ax7.

There are some differences in how the tube is wired.

The 8200 and 8280 amps are the same. The input stage(s) is MOSFET driven. There is a 5v6 diode before the 12ax7.

The 8080 and 8100 amps are the same. The input stage is JFET OP amp driven. There is a pair of red 3mm LEDs before the 12ax7.

There are some differences in how the tube is wired.
Amazing, exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks!

Circuit wise, what is the difference between the fx send and line out? Is the Line Out shaped in some way?

EDIT: my stupid ass didn't check the manual:

"LINE OUTPUT: The low level signal from this socket is specially filtered to enable you to link directly into recording or PA"

EDIT: I measured the difference, and line out filters the signal like this:

8200 Lineout.png

Last edited:
Best example of the Marshall 8100 (boosted) tone is Tommy Victor Cleansing tone. Hyper modern, cold and crushing, Just my thoughts.

Thank you for posting this, this cured my gas real quick. haha

Opened the thread, got instant gas, heard the Prong tone, went back to looking for a used LT Mr Scary Mod :ROFLMAO:

I had an 8200 for a while.....the amp kinda sucked on it's own but with a boost up front that thing completely transformed; just an absolute beast

I can see why Meshuggah used them because boosted they are crazy tight and brutal

Here's a shitty old clip I did with it:

sick!! definitely sounds just like old meshuggah

If anyone wants those tones for way cheaper just get a first or second gen MG. The G100RCD for example is nearly identical to the 8100 with a couple transistors in place of the tube. The MG added digital effects.

reamped through a 8200 and 8080 (same as a 8100). Quite like the 8200 here, suits the song a bit better.

Back