Marty Friedman: Engl Inferno Sig Amp

SavageRiffer":3jydbybs said:
Rezamatix":3jydbybs said:
midnightlaundry":3jydbybs said:
Man, he's a little dude.. That amp is almost as big as him..

BUT, every guitar player after him in Megadeth tries to eclipse what he did, but no uh uh..

best guitarist in megadeth was and always will be chris poland.

I cannot agree with this. Eh, ever hear Rust in Peace? Rust through Youthanasia is easily Megadeth's greatest and most iconic years. Poland brought it, but Friedman took it up a few notches.

100% disagree. Marty was the best and the strongest material came out of his stint with them. In fact, I would argue that Kiko now is the second best as he is seems to be a hybrid between those two guys doing some of the chromatic stuff that I heard in Poland's playing. Poland was solid though, just think Marty was epic. Every note that guy touched on Rust in Peace is perfect. Doesn't get any better than that. The reason that album is so iconic is not only for the songs but also those jaw dropping leads.

kunos":i29ji27l said:
Rezamatix":i29ji27l said:
midnightlaundry":i29ji27l said:

BUT, every guitar player after him in Megadeth tries to eclipse what he did, but no uh uh..

nope.

My personal list would be:

1) Kiko, he's suffering from new songs not being on par with the RIP era but the man is a monster
2) Marty
3) Chris Broderick
4) Poland

I felt Broderick was too clinical, machine like. But Kiko is a fucking beast... loved him in Angra.

Kapo_Polenton":2b7jtjdq said:
kunos":2b7jtjdq said:
Rezamatix":2b7jtjdq said:
midnightlaundry":2b7jtjdq said:

nope.

1) Kiko, he's suffering from new songs not being on par with the RIP era but the man is a monster
2) Marty
3) Chris Broderick
4) Poland

I felt Broderick was too clinical, machine like. But Kiko is a fucking beast... loved him in Angra.

That's what I love about Broderick. He is a machine. The most technically proficient by far to me.

Marty was the best guitar player to be in Megadeth. No question. Look at the records.

Friedman #1
Broderick #2

Rezamatix":33v38gbh said:
midnightlaundry":33v38gbh said:

NO

midnightlaundry":3rcebjck said:
Rezamatix":3rcebjck said:
midnightlaundry":3rcebjck said:

NO
Aaaaand another NO.

Friedman all day every day. Just listen to the material. Game over.

Marty rips. Saw him about a year ago doing solo stuff; awesome player. His Megadeath era elevated them as a band for me.

Kapo_Polenton":2qeh8ymh said:
kunos":2qeh8ymh said:
Rezamatix":2qeh8ymh said:
midnightlaundry":2qeh8ymh said:

nope.

2) Marty
3) Chris Broderick
4) Poland

100% agree. Broderick's playing never did anything for me for that reason. Kiko is a muthafucker.

Soulstealer":3coj55px said:
Kapo_Polenton":3coj55px said:
kunos":3coj55px said:
Rezamatix":3coj55px said:
midnightlaundry":3coj55px said:

nope.

2) Marty
3) Chris Broderick
4) Poland

100% agree. Broderick's playing never did anything for me for that reason. Kiko is a muthafucker.

Seems to be the popular consensus....I agree too. Marty my fave, Kiko behind him...and Broderick does nothing for me for the most part.

Kapo_Polenton":rsiutya3 said:

I don't know... his stuff on youtube always sounded "messy" to me? Especially when he does that 8 fingers tapping thing.. it sounds horrible. I want to like the guy because he looks like an angry viking and a lovely guy, but I really never heard anything that moving from him.

Kiko can be a machine if he wants, I remember the first time I saw him playing a JCM900 with incredibly low gain and the control and the tone was mind blowing... I don't even remember what that video was about, perhaps in some japanese magazine. At the same time, he can come up with amazing melodies, must be the brazilian thing.

indespise":3ohmzqlh said:
Marty's sense of melody is so wonderfully warped, especially on Rust in Peace (Five Magics in particular).
Agreed! What it sounds like to me, personally, is that he plays 'slightly' outside and figures a way to resolve it properly, which makes it sound tense and exotic.

garey77":1simrsj4 said:
indespise":1simrsj4 said:
Marty's sense of melody is so wonderfully warped, especially on Rust in Peace (Five Magics in particular).
Agreed! What it sounds like to me, personally, is that he plays 'slightly' outside and figures a way to resolve it properly, which makes it sound tense and exotic.

I hear it that way as well. He always plays a few notes that don't belong but it always resolves so the whole thing works out. Throw in the bends where he bends a flat note up to pitch and a really cool vibrato and you end up with " exotic". He is one of the few guys who a lot of people describe as " exotic" when you think of it. Slash also bends a lot of notes to pitch and I feel it creates that anticipation and urgency in his playing. He always sounds like he is building up to a cool run. Another excellent player for different reasons even though he is not technically as proficient.

kunos":1zfcvy67 said:
2) Marty
3) Chris Broderick
4) Poland

are you on drugs?

Broderick better in megadeth than Chris? NO CHANCE IN HELL OF THAT BEING TRUE.

yes technically chris is a more advanced player but honestly his playing has nothing to say. The stuff he did in megadeth was forgettable at best :doh:

I like what I hear from kiko but I think Marty really brought things to the table that not many guitar player could and that is "unique style"....that style was perfect for the band for 3 albums then it wasn't anymore :LOL: :LOL:

sytharnia1560":3brbnvaz said:
kunos":3brbnvaz said:
2) Marty
3) Chris Broderick
4) Poland

are you on drugs?

Broderick better in megadeth than Chris? NO CHANCE IN HELL OF THAT BEING TRUE.

yes technically chris is a more advanced player but honestly his playing has nothing to say. The stuff he did in megadeth was forgettable at best :doh:

I like what I hear from kiko but I think Marty really brought things to the table that not many guitar player could and that is "unique style"....that style was perfect for the band for 3 albums then it wasn't anymore :LOL: :LOL:

Now that this thread has fallen I don't feel so bad for ot it myself. I felt the same as you like I had taken crazy pills. Chris played on two of the most influential metal albums ever, and shouldn't even be compared to broderdick or kookoo. Marty I get it. I love his playing style as well, but that's what made him and Poland so great wasn't just technical prowess, but their phrasing and note choice, and their distinctive lead tones. Even tho Marty is his equal or even technically more advanced; Chris will always be the man.

Back