Mastodon is overated

Verily, this knight 'tis a most slavish devotee of Lords Mastodon!

Theire scratchier, noisy edge hath been changed to a glossier, proggy sheen, over theire canon. Thus, albums art quite diverse.

Quite ye challenge to play'eth upon a VI-string'd axe, goodly D-Rock! Rhythms art most vexing to learn! Diff'rent from a thrash-style of hasty, machine-like pedal'age. Each album feature'eth multiple tunings, as well.

This post now concludeth!

Music's a personal thing, there's no right or wrong... Well, there are some facts - but we need not venture there.

Mastodon does nothing for me, but I've got the Butterslax coming because I hear it's a kickass amp. I've listened to Mastodon dozens of times, and was left thinking "this sounds like what something else sounded like before it sounded like something else". It just doesn't grab me by the balls. But that's okay - so long as it's grabbing many other Men's nuts, good for them. Hard to believe I'm getting a signature amp (that ain't cheap) for a guitarist whose music I actually dislike. Tone is different than music, obviously. AND ON THAT NOTE - between JerEvil and Reza's playthroughs - it was THOSE that gravitated me towards the "amp", NOTHING to do with Kelliher or the band itself. In fact, bless is efforts, I thought Kelliher's run through of his signature amp did more for me to say "that sounded like ass" than anything else. So - Mr. Friedman - just a note, big shout outs to JerEvil (Jeremy Varao) and Reza Moosavi - as their clips were what got me pointed towards the amp... After being blown away by the JJ.

BUT(!!!!!) back on track - Mastodon is background shopping mall music for me. Does....nothing....for me.

First spin of "The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here", I was blown away - goosebumps - in awe.
First spin of "Koi No Yokan", I was blown away - goosebumps - in awe.
First spin of [enter any Tool album here], I leave reality for a good couple weeks and just crack out to Tool, period.
First spin of APC, I was blown away - goosebumps - in awe.
I still play Metallica (Black, RTL, MOP), I get goosebumps; I still play SOAD, goosebumps; I still play Ministry, goosebumps.

But Men, I am trying hard - real hard - to find good new heavy ass kicking music that doesn't sound like it belongs in a shampoo commercial - and it's a hard thing to find.

Least for me.
Now it's time for me to change my Depends and tell these fucknut kids to GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

:student:

(point of interest, I dig the layering that Meshuggah has managed with their music... they're relatively new, and I like them. Heavy Devy, another solid contender. There's stuff out there, just need more of it...and so this is why I play music :D )

I know what they look like, like some of their signature guitars, love the butterslax amp but whenever I try to youtube one of their songs I just sort of go meh... I was also expecting something really heavy. I'll probably try to listen to them again at some point.

errrrrl":148am2y0 said:
I know what they look like, like some of their signature guitars, love the butterslax amp but whenever I try to youtube one of their songs I just sort of go meh... I was also expecting something really heavy. I'll probably try to listen to them again at some point.
I have kept trying...kinda like Killswitch Engage, but I actually liked them better, but not by much. Just too much "pop" to their music. Hard to describe.

Whatever, I'll make my heavy shit and listen to 40 years worth of defining metal/heavy music in the meantime till something fresh comes along.

Ventura":3qztwzxv said:
But Men, I am trying hard - real hard - to find good new heavy ass kicking music that doesn't sound like it belongs in a shampoo commercial - and it's a hard thing to find.

You didn't mention SYMPHONY X. :gethim:

SY X is perfectly capable of crushing skulls and pounding sand up your ass.
If metal is what you want.... you can't do any better than this right here:

:worship:

errrrrl":2kul8lis said:
Starman22":2kul8lis said:
The riffs slay

That main riff is pretty cool.. was that from an older album or newer?

Older, but all the albums are good. They are a nice mix of stoner, metal, space and sludge, and the drummer is f'n unreal.

Mailman1971":23k8cat6 said:
I haven't heard one of their songs ever. See lot of talk on them.
Yeah. I live under a rock. :LOL: :LOL:
Just never listen to the radio.
Looks like you're not the only one calling the underside of a rock "home".
This describes me as well... :LOL: :LOL:

My 2 cents: Whenever a band is bringing it with the guitars and the heavies, and is having some success and selling out shows etc.., I think that's the coolest thing ever. :thumbsup:
Regardless of what I personally feel about the band, they're playing guitars turned up loud, and that's cool :rock:
And never lose sight of the fact that it's the "ENTERTAINMENT" business, it ain't a talent contest.
If people like 'em, and buy tickets & cd's etc, that's all that matters!!

Now I'm gonna go listen to some Mastodon and see what the fuss is all about...

oldmtlhed":1k6ueuz2 said:
Ventura":1k6ueuz2 said:

You didn't mention SYMPHONY X. :gethim:

SY X is perfectly capable of crushing skulls and pounding sand up your ass.
Naaaah, I tend to surf 10ft beach breaks at low tide for this kinda action :LOL: :LOL:

I always felt like Mastodon and Gojira were 2 bands that most people I know really love, but I could never get into. Just too slow and boring for me.

I really want to blow this thread up with links to songs, but you can't force music on people. I kept hearing about Mastodon and trying to get into them, but it never clicked. Then Crack the Skye came out and I couldn't stop listening to one song (Oblivion). Then the rest of the CD. Then the rest of their catalog. I have seen them live 10+ times - they are the real deal. If you need some intense emotions in your music (rather than just "cool" factor) check out Crack the Skye. Very proggy, long, complex songs - I've always felt like this was a modern day Zeppelin album. It's dark and mysterious with many ebbs and flows.

twenty years ago the drummer and lead guitarist were in a crazy proto-technical metal band called Lethargy. sorta Dillinger Escape Plan on acid via Ren and Stimpy or something. awesome.

rbasaria":hq238x07 said:
I always felt like Mastodon and Gojira were 2 bands that most people I know really love, but I could never get into. Just too slow and boring for me.

Gojira is downright awful. I can't stand that stuff.

:gay:

I like Pink Floyd, I like Rush, I like prog and tech metal.
I like thick downtuned solid body guitar tones. I have a substantial beard. But I could never get into Mastodon.
Every song sounds like the combined ramblings of a meth tweaked hillbilly who's drunk on his own shine with odd time signatures seemingly for the sake of having odd time signatures. Meandering schizophrenia like guitar lines, massively forgettable riffs and three horrible vocalists to boot.
After trying desperately to like them for years, the lesson here is just because something's different, doesn't mean its anything special, or even good for that matter.

Back