Mentoneman

Sick Michael

MArk III.

Tell me about it. How is this rating against that other fridge stuff you have. Any tips or additional impressions? Have you tried running any marshally pedals through it?

Regards

sickness!

after owning a IIB coli, ran a III eons ago (non eq version) during my triaxis years.
and of course zach’s no stripe coli i played billions of times. that thing screamed!

my friend here owns 4 IIIs (2 blue/1purp/1green) and loaned me his green stripe combo for about a year during the ‘Vid clamp. i liked the clean on that one more but maybe i’m hearing the open back enclosure.

i set my IIIs on the smoother gain side vs metallica grind and sizzle. when i first got the recent blue III i thought i could use a boost/od up front for more light touch playability but turns out i just need practice😆

the loop is great with pretty much anything i’ve tried. i like a rack comp in the loop for clean and a delay.

i borrowed a friend’s mark IV combo and kept reaching for the “more like my III” knob but no luck. rounder IV versus sharper III attack.

more things-

pedals in front are cool for the typical clean channel toys, and rhythm 2 can certainly use sone help to color it whatever direction you wish to go (bluesy or fusiony or marshally)

but boosting the lead channel for me normally sets me off into a grindier scoopier zone which is great for stryper/letekro-land if i wanna visit that. but that’s not a core must have tone for me.

all in all having the boogie III lead tone back in the stable is just a wonderful nostalgic familiar sound i cut my tone teeth on.

With the Quad, I gravitate immediately to the instant gratification of Channel 1, (cleans and Mk2c goop). RY2 is a funny one. If I set it up for dark cleans, it sounds really good with pedals, like a boosted OCD through it sounds glorious, and almost fills the marshall gap.

I think I also have to get rid of V30s...but thats a different story.

With the Quad, I gravitate immediately to the instant gratification of Channel 1, (cleans and Mk2c goop). RY2 is a funny one. If I set it up for dark cleans, it sounds really good with pedals, like a boosted OCD through it sounds glorious, and almost fills the marshall gap.

I think I also have to get rid of V30s...but thats a different story.
r2 on a bunch of amps i've owned and played are weird-not just boogies!

i wish i could hear each amp maker's concept in what they were going after with that channel.

boogies, the triple giant i had, egnater tol stuff, rivera, soldano, diezel, cae/suhr, very peculiar vibe from each of those come to think of it.

is that the industry default pedal platform channel?

Imho can't go wrong with a IIC+ / III / IV. They are not exactly the same but have very similar qualities and in my experience if you like the Mesa mark tone you will enjoy any of the 3, just different flavours & features. Clean tone on Mark III is amazing. I have a III "+" blue stripe, I would describe the tone to be very close to a IIC+ (got a few) with maybe a slightly stiffer feel to it but still retains the rawness of the IIC+. Mark IV has more of the IIC+ sag but with a slightly more processed / hifi tone (still more raw and natural than most modern high gain amps though). The Mark IV has overall the best features & control layouts while on the Mark II & III a lot of the controls are shared amongst channels.

Imho can't go wrong with a IIC+ / III / IV. They are not exactly the same but have very similar qualities and in my experience if you like the Mesa mark tone you will enjoy any of the 3, just different flavours & features. Clean tone on Mark III is amazing. I have a III "+" blue stripe, I would describe the tone to be very close to a IIC+ (got a few) with maybe a slightly stiffer feel to it but still retains the rawness of the IIC+. Mark IV has more of the IIC+ sag but with a slightly more processed / hifi tone (still more raw and natural than most modern high gain amps though). The Mark IV has overall the best features & control layouts while on the Mark II & III a lot of the controls are shared amongst channels.
well put👌

Back