Mesa Lone Star mod

Check over at Grail Tone seems like I remember seeing some pretty easy mods to the lead channel to clean it up a bit and make it less muddy; but the simplest is to run EL34's in there and turn the bass off...

I always found the lead channel quite good, especially with certain boosts. I'm sure there are mods out there though, good luck with the tone chase

The low end is so flubby for me. I have the bass turned off and i feel like its still unusable. I use my Les Paul with Lollar imperial pickups and its just doesn't sound good to me.

I actually would like it to have more gain too.

I heard of a mod where you change the resister on the bass tone controll and that fixes everything (ie more gain and less low end). anyone every try this?

I had Lollar Imperials in my LP Custom and they were flubtastic. Couldn't get them out fast enough. By the way, got a set of Lollar Imperials for sale lol

An old bandmate had a lonestar. It was exactly as you describe, even with bass on zero it was flub city. An eq pedal before the amp could solve that non-invasively too though.

I had a eq in the effects look and it make a huge difference. I think i want something more permanent.

Is it the reeder mod where you make the volume pot the same value on CH 2 as it is on CH 1? But I'm not sure what tonal difference you can expect. I dig ch 1 on the lonestars but could never bond with ch 2. Maybe it needs the Schwartz?!

wurs":3pbreiue said:
The low end is so flubby for me. I have the bass turned off and i feel like its still unusable. I use my Les Paul with Lollar imperial pickups and its just doesn't sound good to me.

That was my experience with the Lone Star also. One of my biggest amp disappointments ever. :thumbsdown:

Back