Mesa Mark III

sondoke

This type of discussion has been covered ad nauseam on here and other forums, but none of the old threads that come up fully satisfy my curiosity. I’ve looked through so many it’s making me loopy, and figured some (hopefully) fresh perspective couldn’t hurt.

I’m considering buying a Mark III, and I’m currently debating on either a red or a blue stripe. There are two local for a decent price: red, fully loaded combo, and a blue fully loaded head. The head is $200 more than the combo, but both seem to be in nice shape and are reasonably priced.

I’ve owned two Mark IIIs (still own one), both green stripes, and absolutely loved them. For those that have owned, or played, both the red and blue stripes (or even green as well, for comparison’s sake), which would be your preference? And considering that I already love and have a green, which one is least similar to the green? Guessing the red since the blue and green revisions came back-to-back, but still wanted to ask.

I’m also the type of player that thinks more is better, where gain is concerned. Usable gain, of course. I love a really aggressive, grindy, pissed off sounding amp. You know, something that makes my guitar sound like a chainsaw with a humbucker attached to it. Aggression is aomething I know all IIIs do well, but slightly differently from one another. Any opinions on how the “feel” potentially differs between the red and the blue would be welcome as well.

IMO that's not even a decision. Just get the red & be done with it. It's the sweet spot in the III line.

The blue & green are essentially the same amp, besides the green being wired Simulclass Pentode where the blue Simuls are triode in the Class A pair.

I also had a Red for many years. It was a great amp, but I could not pay today's prices for them. I got it for $600. Today I would probably just buy a JP2C if I wanted that tone in that price range.

Red stripe would offer more contrast, but based on what you described that you’re looking for I’m not sure if it would really be necessary vs your green stripe. Might also be worth trying to find an early no stripe or black stripe mark iii. At least with the coli no stripe I had it had more growl and thickness than other mark iii’s I tried and was a bit closer sounding to a iic+ hrg IME. IIC+ HRG or SRG of course is the answer if price isn’t an issue

I’ve not played a red but I do own a blue III++ Coliseum and I’ll say the ++ mod really helps tone down that ice pick high end problem stock ones have on solos. Yes they’re super aggressive but I’ve not personally heard the same problems of blues on red or green revisions stock for stock. I always keep mine in ++ mode but it’s worth noting a blue III++ is the best of everything of the green/blue/red later revisions.

I also had a Red for many years. It was a great amp, but I could not pay today's prices for them. I got it for $600. Today I would probably just buy a JP2C if I wanted that tone in that price range.
Dude, tell me about it. I paid $500 for my first green stripe (short head) and $700 for the gs combo that I still have. I almost balked at paying $700 for the combo at the time, which is funny now that I’m considering paying almost a grand more for a red stripe nearly a decade later. They aren’t going to get any cheaper, though, and I always wanted another/different flavor III.

Last edited:
Red stripe would offer more contrast, but based on what you described that you’re looking for I’m not sure if it would really be necessary vs your green stripe. Might also be worth trying to find an early no stripe or black stripe mark iii. At least with the coli no stripe I had it had more growl and thickness than other mark iii’s I tried and was a bit closer sounding to a iic+ hrg IME. IIC+ HRG or SRG of course is the answer if price isn’t an issue
I’d be open to a black stripe, if I could find one at a decent price.

I didn't care for either III I had, at the same time....a purple and a red, both DRGs with 415s. But, in a direct comparo the purple was far better sounding to me.

Dude, tell me about it. I paid $500 for my first green stripe (short head) and $700 for the gs combo that I still have. I almost balled at paying $700 for the combo at the time, which is funny now that I’m considering paying almost a grand more for a red stripe nearly a decade later. They aren’t going to get any cheaper, though, and I always wanted another/different flavor III.
I also had a few of the Studio Preamps. I think I got those for $250 or $300 ?? I see those for close to $2k now, and I am just so confused, lol.

I now have a Synergy IICP, and I am happy with it for those tones. It gets close enough for when I want that particular flavor. I reminds me a lot of those Studio Preamps I had.

Red stripe FTMFW! I do like the blue stripe quite a bit though too but I feel like the red breathes a little better. They are both aggressive in the highs but in a different way that’s hard to describe. More 8k frequency with the red possibly?

I saw this one in the classifieds, but couldn’t message or reply because of the 50 post rule. Even though I’ve been registered here since 2009 lol. I get it, though, it’s a reasonable rule.

This is one of the cleanest Marks I’ve seen! If I hadn’t come across the two local IIIs, I probably would’ve been trying to talk myself out of yours and hoping it was still around when I hit 50 posts. The local blue that I found is a little cheaper, but not as clean. It’s nice, but yours is pristine. Also, the cost of shipping that thing to the west coast would be brutal and is sadly a factor. If I were in the Philly area, I’d be all over it ☹️

Didn’t/don’t you have a few IIIs with the ++ mod? Apologies if I’m mixing you up with someone else, but like I said I’ve read through so many III comparison threads shits all started to run together.

Dude, tell me about it. I paid $500 for my first green stripe (short head) and $700 for the gs combo that I still have. I almost balled at paying $700 for the combo at the time, which is funny now that I’m considering paying almost a grand more for a red stripe nearly a decade later. They aren’t going to get any cheaper, though, and I always wanted another/different flavor III.
I paid in the $800’s 13 years ago for the green stripe I had, which I guess was overpriced at the time, but even then I was thinking how is an amp this good sounding with the Mesa/Boogie name so cheap vs all these worse sounding boutique amps in the $3000-4000 price point. Same with the mark iv and vintage Marshall 2203/4’s. They were so underpriced for how good they sounded up until recent years, but even now I’d argue for the prices they go for not many other amps sound as good

Didn’t/don’t you have a few IIIs with the ++ mod? Apologies if I’m mixing you up with someone else, but like I said I’ve read through so many III comparison threads shits all started to run together.
I had (and sold) all of the ++ mods long before most here. Wish I had kept them so I could have made major profit. haha. :cool:

Back