Mesa Mark V owners? channel switch popping? video inside

Barney

I am getting an annoying popping noise when switching channels only with the footswitch.
All my channels are set to the same 45 watts.

I recorded a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOAgFYHnyY

If you immediately switch between the channels constantly there is no noise, but then if you play clean for like 2 or 5 minutes on one channel and then you switch to another you get an annoying popping noise.

It's the second Mark V that does this and my old Roadster used to do it too, but eventually ended up trading it for a Roadster that didn't pop.

Is this normal?

that popping thing has happened to every single mesa ive owned. its like static build up or some shit.

now that i think of it my twin jet used to do the same thing

normal ....

It's normal. It's due to a static build up on the relays. It's usually most severe when you first turn it on, after which it's not as bad. You'll notice a number of Mesa users will switch through all the channels after first powering it up to help remedy this.

Mesa developed a way to eliminate it, but people disliked the momentary signal dropout more than they disliked the popping. Besides... you don't hear the popping on stage.

If it's any condolence... I think the problem reduces over time as the relays break in. Either that, or I'm just so used to it that I don't notice it anymore.

I do cycle through the channels on standby before powering on. This doesn't get rid of the popping.

Oh well, I guess I just have to learn to live with it?

I have popping problems to but it shouldn't be TO loud.
And Mesa amps are known for that.

I used to cycle through the channels a couple of time with my Roadster, which eliminated the dreaded pop.

In my case, it was very clearly audible in a live setting, but the cycling worked.

Barney":33x5cyjy said:
Was it as loud as the pops in my video?

Yes. From what I can gather.

If I remember correctly, I would cycle through in standby mode. Try doing it 4 or 5 times once the amp has been on for 10 minutes.

Fck! :s

What do you guys say? Should I return it and search for another one that doesn't pop?

I used to own another Mark V before this one and returned it just because of the popping. Now this one has it again.

Would you go for round 3?

Barney":3h3zj7dt said:
Fck! :s

What do you guys say? Should I return it and search for another one that doesn't pop?

I used to own another Mark V before this one and returned it just because of the popping. Now this one has it again.

Would you go for round 3?

Don't return it, It's common for mesa's to pop when switching. All the ones you buy will do it. Mine used to do it, but after time, it has decreased. Just do what everyone says and cycle through a few times, and then after awhile it will be less. Don't return it just for that problem.

My mark V doesnt have any popping at all. But i do know it is common with a lot of them out there though.

Yeah, unfortunately it's a normal thing with Boogies. I even called Boogie when I first noticed it on my recto and they basically said to deal with it, and that there is nothing that can be done...pretty lame that they haven't corrected a simple issue/problem IMO.

On my recto, it's always the first time switching between channels that causes a very loud pop (so loud that it seems able to damage the speakers!) So here's what I do: Warm the amp up for a minute or two in standby, flip the switch, then flip it back to standby and immediately hit all the footswitch buttons while the signal is fading out. On my amp this is only way to get the "pops" out silently, or at least quietly. Simply cycling through the channels in standby as Mesa suggests does nothing to help the problem on my amp. Weak.

Pops are usually an indication of a sudden DC voltage shift in the audio path. What typically causes this are coupling caps that are left 'floating' on one side, with the other side sitting at a high DC voltage offset. Due to the nature of capacitors, what happens over time is the floating side's voltage will tend to rise to match that of the HV side. Then, after engaging another channel or something that connects this HV with an input not at the same potential --- POP.

There are a few remedies for this. In the simplest case, all you need is a resistor of sufficiently large value as to not load the circuit, such as 2.2M. Running this resistor from the open side of the cap to ground can potentially prevent the issue I just described. Of course, if there is already a resistor in the circuit, it won't do any good to add another. Note: I'm referring to potentially 20+ locations in the circuit where there may be a cap floating. Given your issue seems to be prevalent, the problem is likely in one of the main signal paths -- unless it is related to what I'm about to describe below...

In practice though, this method does not work in all cases, or reliably. Most modern amps with a lot of switching employ the use of a 'mute' circuit. The purpose of this circuit is to literally mute the amp for a fraction of a second during switching operations. I know the Mesa mute control uses a simple RC circuit to adjust the mute duration. There could be something wrong with the mute circuit itself, or the time just needs to be increased a bit. If I can find a schematic, and you're interested, I can give you some pointers as to what to check and / or change. Otherwise, you can bring it to a good tech and he can figure it out.

glassjaw7":2y63bwtw said:
Yeah, unfortunately it's a normal thing with Boogies. I even called Boogie when I first noticed it on my recto and they basically said to deal with it, and that there is nothing that can be done...pretty lame that they haven't corrected a simple issue/problem IMO.

On my recto, it's always the first time switching between channels that causes a very loud pop (so loud that it seems able to damage the speakers!) So here's what I do: Warm the amp up for a minute or two in standby, flip the switch, then flip it back to standby and immediately hit all the footswitch buttons while the signal is fading out. On my amp this is only way to get the "pops" out silently, or at least quietly. Simply cycling through the channels in standby as Mesa suggests does nothing to help the problem on my amp. Weak.

I'm glad there's so many of you that understand what I'm going through with this amp, it has not been easy to explain! I also called Boogie back in 2006 when I had my Roadster and they were no help.

So glassjaw, you still get the pops after doing the standy switching and after the initial loud startup pops are gone?

I used to get this popping but mine doesn't really do it anymore. The only issue I seem to have with mine is a scratchy sound that only happens when I decrease my volume knob on my guitar. As it doesn't happen with all my guitars I am assuming it is a volume pot issue. But other than that the amp is still going strong and sounding better than ever.

Barney":29uldbj0 said:
glassjaw7":29uldbj0 said:

I'm glad there's so many of you that understand what I'm going through with this amp, it has not been easy to explain! I also called Boogie back in 2006 when I had my Roadster and they were no help.

So glassjaw, you still get the pops after doing the standy switching and after the initial loud startup pops are gone?

They are still there when changing to channel 2 or 3 (not clean) but they are very quiet, almost inaudible actually unless I'm recording in a close-mic'd setup and I switch channels. Live, it's not a problem since noone in the crowd even cares if there's a tiny pop.
That first initial pop though...WOW! It is f*cking loud!

personally, this is irritating to me cause i've considered buying a mark v as my next amp.
and this kind of issue irks the hell out of me.

hope it resolves.

I know! Bummer, right?

This is what stops it from being a perfect amp.

Mesa should have fixed this years ago.

Back