Mesa Mini Rec - Issues?

rlord1974

The Mini Rec originally came with a toggle on the rear panel to take the FX loop out of the circuit. The newer versions no longer have this switch and it is my understanding that it was removed because there were issues with the early versions of the amps that had it. Is this true? What was the issue?

Are there any other issues that have been noted with the Mini Rec that one should be aware of before purchasing?

If someone knows of a thread either here or on another forum that outlines all of this info, posting a hyperlink would avoid you from having to type out any long explanations.

Thanks for your help.

Here is a bump, I am curious myself as I have kicked around getting a mini recto. The switch to turn off the effects loop seems handy, kind of stinks they removed it, but I would like to know why myself....

I had one with the switch on back. Never had any issues with it and never heard of this issue.

Some of the issues I have read of online include:

1.) If you have one channel set to 10 watt mode and the other to 25 watts, there is a loud pop when switching channels. This issue does not occur when both channels are set to the same wattage.

2.) Excessive noise / hum when using the FX loop.

I see these comments here and there online, but I have yet to find a thread that specifically discusses issues with the Mini Rec.

FYI, the new FX loop is designed such that it is only in the circuit if there is something plugged into it. If you don't plug in, it's effectively the same as turning off the loop with the original / earlier model that had the switch on the rear panel.

rlord1974":uhhra985 said:
Some of the issues I have read of online include:

1.) If you have one channel set to 10 watt mode and the other to 25 watts, there is a loud pop when switching channels. This issue does not occur when both channels are set to the same wattage.

2.) Excessive noise / hum when using the FX loop.

I see these comments here and there online, but I have yet to find a thread that specifically discusses issues with the Mini Rec.

FYI, the new FX loop is designed such that it is only in the circuit if there is something plugged into it. If you don't plug in, it's effectively the same as turning off the loop with the original / earlier model that had the switch on the rear panel.

Good info. I am curious if you dug up any increased noise when using the 10watt mode as opposed to the 25watt mode. My buddy has a TA-15 and I noticed significantly more noise on the 5Watt mode compared to the 15 and 25Watt modes....

Back